Need some help regarding GSOC

vasu dev Singh

I am, Vasu Dev Singh, a 3rd-year undergraduate majoring in Mathematics and Computing at IIT Delhi, India, which was ranked first among engineering colleges in India by QS World University Ranking. I want to do a project with OpenStreetMap but I don’t know how to start. I have a good command on java.It will be an honor if you guide me and provide me with study material so that I can start preparing for GSOC 2019.I don’t know how its works and I am not able to access your mailing list. I will be waiting for your reply.

Thank you

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Need some help regarding GSOC

Tordanik
Hello Vasu,

thank you for your interest in participating in Google Summer of Code at
OpenStreetMap!

On 13.09.2018 20:30, vasu dev Singh wrote:
> I want
> to do a project with OpenStreetMap but I don’t know how to start.
One trait we're looking for in GSoC students is familiarity with the OSM
community. So at this point, it might not be a bad idea to do some
mapping in your local area, to explore the ecosystem of OSM-based
software, and so on.

In 2019 (assuming OSM will be selected as a mentoring organization), we
will publish a list of project ideas, much as we did this year. At that
point, you will be able to get in contact with the mentor(s) of the
specific ideas you are interested in, who may be able to suggest some
preparations more closely related to the development project in question.

Of course, you can also get in contact with developers directly if you
already know that you're interested in a particular open source project
under the OSM umbrella.

Re: Need some help regarding GSOC

Jo-2
Hi Vasu,

It's indeed great to see you're interested at this early stage. If you like we can have a hangout, where I'll demo JOSM to you. JOSM is our advanced editor and it's written in Java. We can talk about improvements that can be made to it. But first I'll show you how to use it to map. It's important to understand the data model.

When you get started and just draw roads and buildings or add POIs, it's relatively simple. So that's a good place to start. When you start using it to create itineraries (bicycle, hiking, public transport, etc), turn restrictions and multipolygons it becomes a bit more complex and that's where the editor could become more helpful to assist mappers and make them more productive.

Let me know when you would have time for a Google Hangout.

Polyglot