Need to revert a bunch of changesets

Robert Helvie
OK, I am not sure which list this should go on, so I am putting it here.

So I have sent two messages to this user with no response.

I now know for sure that he is copying information from Naver maps (maps.naver.com) a Korean map provider or some other source.

The area in question is a city call Sejong. It is a brand new city being built in former fields and mountain areas so there is a lot of construction going on. I live just south in Daejeon and have mapped most of the area around Sejong. All my edits are based on my GPS usage or the image providers allowed in JOSM. I mainly map street geometry; I don't do many structures.

I rarely see anyone else mapping in Sejong. I noticed the user's changesets when I saw that they had changed a lot of the intersection geometry. But it is actually worse than that. The user is mapping things that do not exist yet and is probably getting their information from Naver maps.

A prime example of this is here: http://osm.org/go/543UwRA0w- (geo:36.50009,127.30967?z=17)

I just rode by this area yesterday and those schools do not exist. They have not even begun construction on them. The only thing that exists are the roads and those were only finished about a month or so ago. I know because I rode them on my bicycle while they were still blocked off to general traffic.

Naver maps has the most recent aerial imagery of Korea. http://naver.me/FMU3L8Pu Still it can be about a year or so old. Anything in a dotted outline is planned.

However, if you look at the Naver street map imagery you can see how the user probably got the spacial information to draw the outlines of the schools. http://naver.me/FTjCubjm

It looks pretty similar to me. This is just one example of additions and changes the user has made in the Sejong area. Even if the user is not using Naver maps, they are copying from some other map source because the data they are entering does not exist in the real world yet. I highly doubt the source is compatible with the OSM database considering how restrictive Korea is with its geospatial data.

I don't know about any other edits the user has made, but the ones in the Sejong area really should be reverted. It is a shame, because the other data they add such as names and address info could be very useful. But their copying of possibly unlicensed data without attribution puts Openstreetmap in jeopardy.

Thanks for listening.

Robert

"We should give meaning to life, not wait for life to
give us meaning. "

~ unknown
---

Re: Need to revert a bunch of changesets

Michael Reichert
Hi Robert,

Am 26.06.2016 um 06:10 schrieb Robert Helvie:
> I don't know about any other edits the user has made, but the ones in the
> Sejong area really should be reverted. It is a shame, because the other
> data they add such as names and address info could be very useful. But
> their copying of possibly unlicensed data without attribution puts
> Openstreetmap in jeopardy.

What's the nickname of the user you are complaining about?
Which changesets of this user have been commented by you?

If you think that a revert is the best solution, you should avoid manual
fixes. They generate conflicts during the reverts. I hope that your
fixes do not contain "valueable" information (i.e. can be also reverted
without loosing good information).

If the user continues adding fictional data or copies from other sources
without permission although you have wrote that to him twice or more
often, you can ask DWG to block him temporarily. This will either stop
him adding new data or – what I hope – read your comments and change his
behaviour.

Best regards

Michael

Il giorno 26 giu 2016, alle ore 06:10, Robert Helvie <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

So I have sent two messages to this user with no response.

DWG can put a block on him to be sure he gets the message. He should explain where he got his information from and if it is not an legitimate source the edits should be reverted

I now know for sure that he is copying information from Naver maps (maps.naver.com) a Korean map provider or some other source.

maybe there are other sources (e.g. government information) for these as well?

A link to a changeset would be good... for example (I am not certain this is one your are talking about)  http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/39688528

If you think that a revert is the best solution, you should avoid manual
fixes. They generate conflicts during the reverts. I hope that your
fixes do not contain "valueable" information (i.e. can be also reverted
without loosing good information).

If the user continues adding fictional data or copies from other sources
without permission although you have wrote that to him twice or more
often, you can ask DWG to block him temporarily.

[hidden email] IIRC.
This will either stop
him adding new data or – what I hope – read your comments and change his
behaviour.

Best regards

Michael

Re: Need to revert a bunch of changesets

Robert Helvie
If there is a government source, it is highly likely that he is still copying a source that he shouldn't.

The Korean Government is very restrictive about how their data can be used. That's why Google has to have map servers physically within Korea to display the Korean data that they do show.

Nonetheless, he is still copying from some source and not giving that source.

"We should give meaning to life, not wait for life to
give us meaning. "

~ unknown
---

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 5:30 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

sent from a phone

Il giorno 26 giu 2016, alle ore 06:10, Robert Helvie <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

So I have sent two messages to this user with no response.

DWG can put a block on him to be sure he gets the message. He should explain where he got his information from and if it is not an legitimate source the edits should be reverted

I now know for sure that he is copying information from Naver maps (maps.naver.com) a Korean map provider or some other source.

maybe there are other sources (e.g. government information) for these as well?

Re: Need to revert a bunch of changesets

max-2
Korea needs more contributors desperately and everyone should be
encouraged to to become one. I just had a presentation where I showed
OSM to an interested audience. If this user did not understand the
rules, maybe that's also our fault that it wasn't clear? Or the
instructions in Korean are insufficient?
In any case, please make sure the contact with this newbie is correcting
the situation but is welcoming enough not to scare the user off.

my 2 ct.