New Attribute added in internal.ecore

Trupti Pol
Hi,

I have added a new attribute called as rotation in internal.ecore to modify the EMF model.

After this i regenerated the emf code. But now after regenerating code i get following errors

1) ProjectFactoryImpl.java
2) ProjectPackageImpl.java
   These two files have two import statements added for "org.geotools.data.FeatureResults" and  "org.geotools.feature.SimpleFeature" which cannot be resolved. (i.e unable find these classes in geotools)

3)StyleEntryImpl.java has got

            /**
         * The cached style class.
         *
         * @generated NOT
         */
        private Class styleClass = STYLE_CLASS_EDEFAULT;

     where it gives error as
             - STYLE_CLASS_EDEFAULT cannot be resolved

Does this means that ecore model and actual code are not in sync ?

Re: New Attribute added in internal.ecore

Andrea Antonello
Hi Trupti,
I contacted Jesse offlist and he gave some direction, which I paste
here in the hope you can find them usefull.

--------8<----------------
The process that I normally use to edit the model is:

- make sure all work is committed
- generate from model and see what changes
- if compile errors revert all changes.  Reload models from java interfaces
  generate model and see what changes are made.
- Verify udig still works (because sometimes people change a generated
method and forget to mark it as modified)
- Change the model
- generate

That tends to work fairly well
-------->8----------------

Good luck,
Andrea

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Trupti Pol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have added a new attribute called as rotation in internal.ecore to modify
> the EMF model.
>
> After this i regenerated the emf code. But now after regenerating code i get
> following errors
>
> 1) ProjectFactoryImpl.java
> 2) ProjectPackageImpl.java
>   These two files have two import statements added for
> "org.geotools.data.FeatureResults" and  "org.geotools.feature.SimpleFeature"
> which cannot be resolved. (i.e unable find these classes in geotools)
>
> 3)StyleEntryImpl.java has got
>
>            /**
>         * The cached style class.
>         *
>         * @generated NOT
>         */
>        private Class styleClass = STYLE_CLASS_EDEFAULT;
>
>     where it gives error as
>             - STYLE_CLASS_EDEFAULT cannot be resolved
>
> Does this means that ecore model and actual code are not in sync ?
>

> -----
> Thanks & Regards,
> Trupti Pol

Re: New Attribute added in internal.ecore

Trupti Pol
Hi Andrea,

if reload models from java interfaces then there is no modifications in the model and ecore files.
But if i try and regenerate model code from these models then i get the compiler errors.

Currently what i have done is
  1) added one extra attribute in internal.ecore
  2) generated the model code

It gives me compiler errors. Following problems are prominent.
   1) .java file method's signatures are changing.
   2) every .java file has copyright string declaration missing.
   3) Instead of retrieving information from ProjectPackage.eINSTANCE.** now the statement is modified to ProjectPackage.Literals.**
   4) eGet() and eSet() methods instead of using EStructuralFeature now uses int featureID

Please tell me about how to get model and code in sync with each other? Also give me some pointers about handling above issues.

Andrea Antonello-3 wrote

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Trupti Pol <ktrup7@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have added a new attribute called as rotation in internal.ecore to modify
> the EMF model.
>
> After this i regenerated the emf code. But now after regenerating code i get
> following errors
>
> 1) ProjectFactoryImpl.java
> 2) ProjectPackageImpl.java
>   These two files have two import statements added for
> "org.geotools.data.FeatureResults" and  "org.geotools.feature.SimpleFeature"
> which cannot be resolved. (i.e unable find these classes in geotools)
>
> 3)StyleEntryImpl.java has got
>
>            /**
>         * The cached style class.
>         *
>         * @generated NOT
>         */
>        private Class styleClass = STYLE_CLASS_EDEFAULT;
>
>     where it gives error as
>             - STYLE_CLASS_EDEFAULT cannot be resolved
>
> Does this means that ecore model and actual code are not in sync ?
>

> -----
> Thanks & Regards,
> Trupti Pol

Re: New Attribute added in internal.ecore

Jesse Eichar
Hi thanks for looking into this.  Andrea and I performed the operation last year so I know it is possible.  I will try to take a look and see what is up.

One think you might consider (if you haven't already) is try to reduce the generation to just the model that you need to change.  So rather than the entire model maybe just a subtree.

Jesse

Andrea Antonello-3 wrote:

> Hi Trupti,
> I contacted Jesse offlist and he gave some direction, which I paste
> here in the hope you can find them usefull.
>
> --------8<----------------
> The process that I normally use to edit the model is:
>
> - make sure all work is committed
> - generate from model and see what changes
> - if compile errors revert all changes.  Reload models from java
> interfaces
>   generate model and see what changes are made.
> - Verify udig still works (because sometimes people change a generated
> method and forget to mark it as modified)
> - Change the model
> - generate
>
> That tends to work fairly well
> -------->8----------------
>
> Good luck,
> Andrea
>

> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Trupti Pol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have added a new attribute called as rotation in internal.ecore to
>> modify
>> the EMF model.
>>
>> After this i regenerated the emf code. But now after regenerating code i
>> get
>> following errors
>>
>> 1) ProjectFactoryImpl.java
>> 2) ProjectPackageImpl.java
>>   These two files have two import statements added for
>> "org.geotools.data.FeatureResults" and
>>  "org.geotools.feature.SimpleFeature"
>> which cannot be resolved. (i.e unable find these classes in geotools)
>>
>> 3)StyleEntryImpl.java has got
>>
>>            /**
>>         * The cached style class.
>>         *
>>         * @generated NOT
>>         */
>>        private Class styleClass = STYLE_CLASS_EDEFAULT;
>>
>>     where it gives error as
>>             - STYLE_CLASS_EDEFAULT cannot be resolved
>>
>> Does this means that ecore model and actual code are not in sync ?
>>

>> -----
>> Thanks & Regards,
>> Trupti Pol
>> --

-----
Thanks & Regards,
Trupti Pol

Re: New Attribute added in internal.ecore

Trupti Pol
Hi Jesse,Andrea

I tried to generate only subpart of the original model i.e. since i am adding a new attribute in Map element i tried and regenrated the model code for Map only.

But in this case the newly genearted code is not in sync with old one. Again the new code has the 4 problems as listed below and thus application generates null pointer exception.

This nullPointerException is because old code tries to comunicate with EStructuralFeature for eGet and eSet methods where as new code has int featureId. Thus in the new code EStructuralFeature feature is null.

Please tell  me what to do about this? waiting eagorously for the reply.

Jesse Eichar-4 wrote

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Trupti Pol <ktrup7@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> "org.geotools.data.FeatureResults" and
> >>  "org.geotools.feature.SimpleFeature"
> >> which cannot be resolved. (i.e unable find these classes in geotools)
> >>
> >> 3)StyleEntryImpl.java has got
> >>
> >>            /**
> >>         * The cached style class.
> >>         *
> >>         * @generated NOT
> >>         */
> >>        private Class styleClass = STYLE_CLASS_EDEFAULT;
> >>
> >>     where it gives error as
> >>             - STYLE_CLASS_EDEFAULT cannot be resolved
> >>
> >> Does this means that ecore model and actual code are not in sync ?
> >>

> >> -----
> >> Thanks & Regards,
> >> Trupti Pol
> >> --

> -----
> Thanks & Regards,
> Trupti Pol

Re: New Attribute added in internal.ecore

I suspect the problem is the original code was generated with a much older version of EMF.  I think we simply need to fix the errors manually...

Jesse

Jesse Eichar-4 wrote:

> Hi thanks for looking into this.  Andrea and I performed the operation
> last
> year so I know it is possible.  I will try to take a look and see what is
> up.
>
> One think you might consider (if you haven't already) is try to reduce the
> generation to just the model that you need to change.  So rather than the
> entire model maybe just a subtree.
>
> Jesse
>
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Trupti Pol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hi Andrea,
>>
>> if reload models from java interfaces then there is no modifications in
>> the
>> model and ecore files.
>> But if i try and regenerate model code from these models then i get the
>> compiler errors.
>>
>> Currently what i have done is
>>  1) added one extra attribute in internal.ecore
>>  2) generated the model code
>>
>> It gives me compiler errors. Following problems are prominent.
>>   1) .java file method's signatures are changing.
>>   2) every .java file has copyright string declaration missing.
>>   3) Instead of retrieving information from ProjectPackage.eINSTANCE.**
>> now
>> the statement is modified to ProjectPackage.Literals.**
>>   4) eGet() and eSet() methods instead of using EStructuralFeature now
>> uses
>> int featureID
>>
>> Please tell me about how to get model and code in sync with each other?
>> Also
>> give me some pointers about handling above issues.
>>

>> Andrea Antonello-3 wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Trupti,
>> > I contacted Jesse offlist and he gave some direction, which I paste
>> > here in the hope you can find them usefull.
>> >
>> > --------8<----------------
>> > The process that I normally use to edit the model is:
>> >
>> > - make sure all work is committed
>> > - generate from model and see what changes
>> > - if compile errors revert all changes.  Reload models from java
>> > interfaces
>> >   generate model and see what changes are made.
>> > - Verify udig still works (because sometimes people change a generated
>> > method and forget to mark it as modified)
>> > - Change the model
>> > - generate
>> >
>> > That tends to work fairly well
>> > -------->8----------------
>> >
>> > Good luck,
>> > Andrea

>> -----
>> Thanks & Regards,
>> Trupti Pol
>> --

-----
Thanks & Regards,
Trupti Pol

Re: New Attribute added in internal.ecore

Trupti Pol
Hi Jesse,Andrea ,

Can you please tell me which EMF version you have used?

Jesse Eichar-4 wrote

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 7:16 AM, Trupti Pol <ktrup7@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jesse,Andrea
>
> I tried to generate only subpart of the original model i.e. since i am
> adding a new attribute in Map element i tried and regenrated the model code
> for Map only.
>
> But in this case the newly genearted code is not in sync with old one.
> Again
> the new code has the 4 problems as listed below and thus application
> generates null pointer exception.
>
> This nullPointerException is because old code tries to comunicate with
> EStructuralFeature for eGet and eSet methods where as new code has int
> featureId. Thus in the new code EStructuralFeature feature is null.
>
> Please tell  me what to do about this? waiting eagorously for the reply.
>

> Jesse Eichar-4 wrote:
> >
> > Hi thanks for looking into this.  Andrea and I performed the operation
> > last
> > year so I know it is possible.  I will try to take a look and see what is
> > up.
> >
> > One think you might consider (if you haven't already) is try to reduce
> the
> > generation to just the model that you need to change.  So rather than the
> > entire model maybe just a subtree.
> >
> > Jesse
> >
> > On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Trupti Pol <ktrup7@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi Andrea,
> >>
> >> if reload models from java interfaces then there is no modifications in
> >> the
> >> model and ecore files.
> >> But if i try and regenerate model code from these models then i get the
> >> compiler errors.
> >>
> >> Currently what i have done is
> >>  1) added one extra attribute in internal.ecore
> >>  2) generated the model code
> >>
> >> It gives me compiler errors. Following problems are prominent.
> >>   1) .java file method's signatures are changing.
> >>   2) every .java file has copyright string declaration missing.
> >>   3) Instead of retrieving information from ProjectPackage.eINSTANCE.**
> >> now
> >> the statement is modified to ProjectPackage.Literals.**
> >>   4) eGet() and eSet() methods instead of using EStructuralFeature now
> >> uses
> >> int featureID
> >>
> >> Please tell me about how to get model and code in sync with each other?
> >> Also
> >> give me some pointers about handling above issues.

> code

> >> -----
> >> Thanks & Regards,
> >> Trupti Pol
> >> --

> -----
> Thanks & Regards,
> Trupti Pol

Re: New Attribute added in internal.ecore

Trupti Pol
Hey Guys,

Please tell me which version of EMF was used to generate ecore model ?
Waiting for the response??

Re: New Attribute added in internal.ecore

Jody Garnett-2
I do not know; one way to check would be to do an svn log on one of the classes and check the date (or revision); and then pull the emf dependencies for that revision and look at the version number.

Jody