New Kosmo version 2.0 RC1

Paco Abato
Hi everyone:

As you may have seen, since last friday the new version of Kosmo Desktop
is available for download in the Kosmo - Free GIS Corporative Platform
project webpage (http://opengis.es). After a lapse of one year since the
last available version (1.2.1), we have finished the new version. We
hope the innovations, improvements and corrections done to the new
version is worth the waiting.

For now the downloads corresponding to Windows and Linux with its own
Java virtual machine and with no installer are availables: they are
prepared to be decompressed and directly executed (the linux version
requieres a slight modification) with no need of previously installing
anything (not even the Java virtual machine), so they can be executed
also from an USB pendrive. In the course of this week it will be made
available the whole set of common installers for whom of you who are
more comfortable with the usual distribution. The source code
corresponding to this new version will also be available when we finish
adjusting the public SVN server.

In addition to the application there will be available a wide set of
videotutorials and manuals for the new version that will ease the
learning of the use of new tools and the former ones for new users.

The whole set of innovations, improvements and corrections will be
available in the webpage along this week but next I resume the most
prominent.

Greetings from the whole development team of SAIG.

============
= New features  =
============

* New extensions added in Kosmo 2.0 RC1:

- Printing in OpenOffice
To improve the graphic outputs already existent in Kosmo Desktop we have
incorporated this new extension that allows to generate printing outputs
of great quality using as base the OpenOffice suite. Among others user
features, we point this ones:

+ Multiple views in one single graphic output.
+ Two kinds of scale: graphic / textual. It can be defined one scale per
view. The graphic scale admits parameters.
+ Many legends can be defined for the same view, each one showing the
desired layers. For each legend can be defined a title, a header, the
distance between differents entries and the legend, the font for each
entry, the number of columns, ...
+ Advanced batch printing using as base a layer with the frames.
+ Preview tools inside Kosmo to control the graphic output.

And the possibility to edit the output into OpenOffice since it is
generated an output file for OpenOffice Draw which can be framed before
and after printing, adding more elements as needed such as logos,
compass, etc.

- Sextante
In this new Kosmo Desktop version have been added the Sextante extension
(http://forge.osor.eu/plugins/wiki/index.php?P%C3%A1gina%20principal&id=13&type=g
<http://forge.osor.eu/plugins/wiki/index.php?P%C3%A1gina%20principal&id=13&type=g>),
the library with spatial analysis algorithms developed by Victor Olaya
that many of you may have known because it is already implemented in
other desktop GIS applications.

- Advanced tools
This new extension adds to Kosmo Desktop a new set of tools of varied
kind, the most prominent of them are:

+ Raster georeferencing tool.
+ Eliminate micropolygons.
+ Intersect.
+ Clean lines.
+ Validation tools for elevation lines layers.
+ Generation of polygons from lines.
+ Generation of polygon grid.
+ Show elements attributes under the mouse pointer.
+ Segments edition tools.

- Grid edition
Allows to add an UTM grid as background in the active view.

- KML data source
Allows to export the selected layer to the KML format

- Export reprojected layer
Allows to export into a new layer the selected data source, if it is
reprojected.

* Data sources

- WFS

- GML (import / export)

* New tools

- Topological rules in edition
In this new version we have added the possibility to define a set of
topological rules that may be applied to the layers of the project so it
avoid editions in the layer that does not verify such rules during the
digitalization or revision of the elements of the layers.

- Statistics
In the attributes table of a layer is possible to generate statistics
for the selected fields, grouping them by fields if desired.

- Afinne transformation

- Precision reducer

- Generalization tools

* Improvements in edition

- Geometries tracking mode
For those tools involving multiple mouse clicks it has been added a new
mode that allows at any point in the graphic to add new segments of
lines from existent elements of the active view.

- Snap to layers configuration
It has been added a new configuration tab in the edit options window
that allows to stablish what layers must be taken into account to decide
the coordinates to snap to.

* Configuration

- Visualization options
It has been added the possiblitiy to remember the size and position of
the Kosmo main window at exit, so the possibility of the window to be
always on top over the rest of the applications windows.

- Hiperlinks
It has been added the possibility to configure what layers are taken
into account for hiperlinks (selected or visibles).

- Net configuration
It has been added the possibility to configure the proxy for Internet
connection that Kosmo must use in its net connections.

* Symbology

- SLD
It has been added the possibility to load symbology files in SLD format.

=============
= Improvements  =
=============

* Project manager
It has been improved the project manager to incorporate new properties
(author, creation date, last modification date, description, ...).

* Load data / tables -> Databases
It has been improved the connection interface so it is possible to load
more than one layer/table from databases simultaneously.

* Generate adjacent polygon
It has been improved the eficiency and precision of this tool.

* Fields calculator
It has been added new functions for string manipulation.

--
Francisco Abato Helguera

Programador
Sistemas Abiertos de Información Geográfica, S.L. (SAIG S.L.)
Teléfonos: + 34 955 567 170, +34 685 00 59 60
E-mail: [hidden email]

fabato.vcf (421 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: New Kosmo version 2.0 RC1

an-2

Hi,

I'm very excited about the new version, lots of interesting changes and improvements!
You are talking about tutorials and manuals: will this also be available in english?

Greetings,
An

An Heirman
GIS project manager

GIM
Geographic Information Management

Researchpark Haasrode
Interleuvenlaan 5
B-3001 HEVERLEE
BELGIUM

Tel. + 32 16 40 30 39
Fax + 32 16 40 69 39

http://www.gim.be

From: Paco Abato <[hidden email]>
Date: 03/11/2009 12:37
Subject: [Kosmo_int] New Kosmo version 2.0 RC1

[...]

(
http://forge.osor.eu/plugins/wiki/index.php?P%C3%A1gina%20principal&id=13&type=g
<
[...]

[attachment "fabato.vcf" deleted by An Heirman/GIM] _______________________________________________
Kosmo_int mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.saig.es/mailman/listinfo/kosmo_int

Re: New Kosmo version 2.0 RC1

Sergio Baños Calvo
Good morning An.

Currently the all the video tutorials and manuals are only available in
Spanish. Here in SAIG we have made a big effort to create this materials
for the new Kosmo - Desktop 2.0 version and we're looking for
alternatives or collaborations to make them available also in English at
least.

We're working in a Wiki where the manuals will be put inside and we
think it'll help in mantaining and translating the manuals. All
collaboration in this issue will be wellcomed ;-) .

Regards,

[hidden email] escribió:

> [...]
> =============
>
> * Project manager
> It has been improved the project manager to incorporate new properties
> (author, creation date, last modification date, description, ...).
>
> * Load data / tables -> Databases
> It has been improved the connection interface so it is possible to load
> more than one layer/table from databases simultaneously.
>
> * Generate adjacent polygon
> It has been improved the eficiency and precision of this tool.
>
> * Fields calculator
> It has been added new functions for string manipulation.
>

> --
> Francisco Abato Helguera
>
> Programador
> Sistemas Abiertos de Información Geográfica, S.L. (SAIG S.L.)
> Teléfonos: + 34 955 567 170, +34 685 00 59 60
> E-mail: [hidden email]
>
> [attachment "fabato.vcf" deleted by An Heirman/GIM]

Jefe de desarrollos
Sistemas Abiertos de Información Geográfica, S.L. (SAIG S.L.)
Tlfno. móvil: 685005960
Tlfno. fijo: (+34) 954788876

E-mail: [hidden email]