New editors working on parks

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists)-2
There has been a large number of new editors in the wider midlands over the
last few days (32 since Monday) most of which have been adding new or adding
to exiting park areas. Some are fine first edits (a little awkward in placed
but not unreasonable) but others are not, so if it's also happening in your
area keep a close eye. I'm reverting those in my watch rectangle that are
obviously inappropriate and I, along with I note some others, have added
some changeset comments to try and make contact where appropriate, though
thus far no responses.

Mostly these seem to be id edits so I'm guessing perhaps a University course
or something.

Cheers
Andy

Re: New editors working on parks

sk53.osm
Hi Andy,

These are Pokemon Go edits driven by the fact that the South Korea release of the game is definitely using OSM as the base map.

Total number of editors has picked up massively worldwide in the past few days with a ridiculous peak of 3000 new users a minute sometime this afternoon (although this may be a SEO-driven peak in the US).

Certainly whatever the basis of the influx its quite a lot to handle for existing 'data curators'. See the current range of changeset discussions. It's difficult to be sure, but I think there's an uptick in other edits too.

Jerry

On 27 January 2017 at 16:03, Andy Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
There has been a large number of new editors in the wider midlands over the
last few days (32 since Monday) most of which have been adding new or adding
to exiting park areas. Some are fine first edits (a little awkward in placed
but not unreasonable) but others are not, so if it's also happening in your
area keep a close eye. I'm reverting those in my watch rectangle that are
obviously inappropriate and I, along with I note some others, have added
some changeset comments to try and make contact where appropriate, though
thus far no responses.

Mostly these seem to be id edits so I'm guessing perhaps a University course
or something.

Cheers
Andy

Re: New editors working on parks

Tom Hughes-3
On 27/01/17 16:03, Andy Robinson wrote:

> There has been a large number of new editors in the wider midlands over the
> last few days (32 since Monday) most of which have been adding new or adding
> to exiting park areas. Some are fine first edits (a little awkward in placed
> but not unreasonable) but others are not, so if it's also happening in your
> area keep a close eye. I'm reverting those in my watch rectangle that are
> obviously inappropriate and I, along with I note some others, have added
> some changeset comments to try and make contact where appropriate, though
> thus far no responses.
>
> Mostly these seem to be id edits so I'm guessing perhaps a University course
> or something.

I suspect Pokemon Go is a more likely explanation.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: New editors working on parks

Michael Booth
It's been mentioned on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/openstreetmap/comments/5q4ctl/warning_players_of_pok%C3%A9mon_go_may_be_editing_osm/
and
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/5pvkkn/about_openstreetmap_and_pokemon_go

People are commenting on changesets but if new users don't read their
emails or it goes to their spam folder then there's not much chance of a
reply. Needs to be an indication on the website like with user messages.

Some are just carrying out drive-by vandalism by adding fake parks, etc.
- easily reverted. Others are adding more features which is good but
they usually have the newbie mistakes of paths not connecting to roads
etc. - hopefully they respond to the comments and stick around.

On 27/01/2017 16:03, Andy Robinson wrote:

> There has been a large number of new editors in the wider midlands over the
> last few days (32 since Monday) most of which have been adding new or adding
> to exiting park areas. Some are fine first edits (a little awkward in placed
> but not unreasonable) but others are not, so if it's also happening in your
> area keep a close eye. I'm reverting those in my watch rectangle that are
> obviously inappropriate and I, along with I note some others, have added
> some changeset comments to try and make contact where appropriate, though
> thus far no responses.
>
> Mostly these seem to be id edits so I'm guessing perhaps a University course
> or something.
>
> Cheers
> Andy

Re: New editors working on parks

Nick Allen-2
Hi Andy,

I update http://learnosm.org/en/  and I'm seeing many searches on the site concerning pokemon go.

Maybe connected?

Nick
(Tallguy)

On 27 Jan 2017 16:04, "Andy Robinson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
There has been a large number of new editors in the wider midlands over the
last few days (32 since Monday) most of which have been adding new or adding
to exiting park areas. Some are fine first edits (a little awkward in placed
but not unreasonable) but others are not, so if it's also happening in your
area keep a close eye. I'm reverting those in my watch rectangle that are
obviously inappropriate and I, along with I note some others, have added
some changeset comments to try and make contact where appropriate, though
thus far no responses.

Mostly these seem to be id edits so I'm guessing perhaps a University course
or something.

Cheers
Andy

Re: New editors working on parks

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists)-2

Oh joys J

On the plus side there are a lot more new users in those 30 ish who have added more than one item and one or two who have added some really good new stuff, so in some ways the attention will have some upsides.

Just need to be vigilant around our own patches.

Cheers

Andy

any cyclists familiar with Calder Aire link

David Groom
There seems a lot of duplication in these two route relations:

Both are titled "Calder Aire link"

Re: [Talk-gb-westmidlands] New editors working on parks

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists)-2
Mark, Welcome :-)

Probably not really a problem here in the UK because there are enough editors watching over the data to spot big issues. Thus far any inappropriate additions to the database have mostly been very local to the specific user, like adding extra bits to parks, creating new ones in their area or the odd change of tag to a water feature. They are easily reverted when spotted as these Pokémon users don’t seem to be going on to continually add stuff. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Cheers
Andy

Re: any cyclists familiar with Calder Aire link

Andy Townsend
On 28/01/2017 15:03, David Groom wrote:
There seems a lot of duplication in these two route relations:

Both are titled "Calder Aire link"

One is route=foot, another route=mtb.  Presumably that is why there are 2.

Wherever I've encountered it, the Calder Aire link has always been just one route for all traffic.  That's not the case for others in that area though - the Pennine Bridleway has different routes for horse, foot and bicycle traffic in places.  That said, the addition of the A road to the relation at https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1573805#map=19/53.80651/-1.95819 looks like a cockup.

Cheers,

Andy