New imageries in AU

Australia mailing list

Hi all,

Do we have any possibility to be informed once there is a new imagery published by other providers (Maxar, Esri, Mapbox, etc.)?

We are trying to develop the process which will involve constant update of AU map, but we are not sure how to focus to areas which might have most recent imagery?

Thank you in advance,

Nemanja

Re: New imageries in AU

Andrew Harvey-3
Active mappers who regularly check out the different imagery layers can usually tell when one gets refreshed with new imagery, but it does vary a lot based on location.

What if we had a wiki page, that tried to loosely track imagery freshness.

eg. just a list of cities Sydney with info like "currently freshest is Maxar". or "ESRI appeared to refresh within the last 6 months", etc. What do you think?

Keep in mind (this is even something I need to do better at), when armchair mapping from aerial imagery or street level imagery it's always a good idea to check the last edit date of the feature you're editing. If it's a few years old then it's usually safe to replace, but if it's within the last 6 months it could well be more current than the imagery.

On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 at 01:58, Nemanja Bracko (E-Search) via Talk-au <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Do we have any possibility to be informed once there is a new imagery published by other providers (Maxar, Esri, Mapbox, etc.)?

We are trying to develop the process which will involve constant update of AU map, but we are not sure how to focus to areas which might have most recent imagery?

Thank you in advance,

Nemanja

Re: New imageries in AU

Ewen Hill
Nemanja,
   Thank you for all the hard work. I am not a huge fan of using the Wiki as a basis as it will require a lot of work to keep it updated and if Alice Springs is updated, who will notice?

 Unless we could visualise the latest imagery by dates automatically, I would suggest that you just need to pop back and visit quarterly. Perhaps we could take a snapshot of tiles in specific place.to check for variances?

  Also on another note, can you let your team know that most streams and rivers are intermittent outside the east coast Great Dividing Range and coastal areas and unless it declared a river, then it is probably a stream. A lot of Australia will appear to have stream lines but in reality will only be streams for exceedingly short periods after a thunderstorm.  There are a few rivers being added into OSM in the desert by the team that probably haven't seen water for 8 years as permanent and that you need to add fords or bridges to existing highways.

Have a great weekend

Ewen

On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 at 15:28, Andrew Harvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Warm Regards

Ewen Hill
Internet Development Australia

Re: New imageries in AU

Bob Cameron

I don't know how useful/relevant this will be, but I am about 3 weeks from starting an upload of around 1.3TB Mapillary layer dashcam images. (4K size, at around 2FPS road speed) These are mainly sealed country roads (not a lot of urban data) around the continent.

Where a town/village is small enough I usually try to cover most of it. (eg Mendooran NSW - already available) Some major-ish dirt roads also covered (like the west end of Gibb River Rd and Norseman-Hyden Rd WA. The latter already available)

Cheers Bob

On 8/11/19 1:55 am, Nemanja Bracko (E-Search) via Talk-au wrote:

Hi all,

Do we have any possibility to be informed once there is a new imagery published by other providers (Maxar, Esri, Mapbox, etc.)?

We are trying to develop the process which will involve constant update of AU map, but we are not sure how to focus to areas which might have most recent imagery?

Thank you in advance,

Nemanja

Re: New imageries in AU

Australia mailing list

Hi guys!

I’m in New Zealand, so I would be glad to meet you all and to chat regarding this (and other topics) if you have time.

The problem is that we are not aware and we are not informed once there is a new imagery for some particular area in AU.
What we are looking is to have some aggregated service/platform/mailing system where we can get information (or to be informed by email) once providers updates their imagery.

For example, we were informed about LPI update earlier this year (via talk-AU), but if there is just a small area, we are not being informed at all.

Side note: I have met Ewen in person yesterday, so we have agreed that he will publicly send bounding boxes of intermittent rivers/streams, so we will be able to respect these boundaries and we will be able to tag these missing water bodies properly.

Thanks,

Nemanja

Od: Ewen Hill <[hidden email]>
Poslato: petak, 08. novembar 2019. 19:40
Za: Andrew Harvey <[hidden email]>
Cc: Nemanja Bracko (E-Search) <[hidden email]>; OSM Australian Talk List <[hidden email]>
Tema: Re: [talk-au] New imageries in AU