New member, need a mentor.

Graeme Wilson
Hello All,

I need a mentor, preferably in the Canberra region.

I am a drive test technician and monitor mobile phone coverage across Australia. I do approx 120,000km + per year and I have been collecting masses of GPS data in two formats.

Firstly, which I will process last, from October 2007 to June 2008 is data in Excel format. The 'problem' with processing this is how to eliminate the periods of time when I am stopped. I'll worry about that later, but I will need someone to advise me on how to convert Excel format data to gpx or whatever it is, and then up load it.

Secondly, which I want to do firstly, all data recorded since June is straight ASCII text from the RS232 port of a Garmin eTrex. I can process this info to eliminate the stationary info, and can extract lat and long easily to form another text file, from which I could import to Excel and then up load, or even to directly make gpx files myself. I can write console applications in Delphi to do simple conversions of text to text, and I would prefer to make the gpx files directly from the straight text.

I need to know:

1: Just what is needed in the gpx files, particularly the header? I have a basic understanding of xml and html (it's all text). The header is what's holding me up at the moment.

2: Is the date and time stamp needed? I presume not.

3: One of my main 'holdups' is that I wanted to upload altitude as well as lat and long, but I have been told that altitude is deleted by OSM. Is it OK to upload altitude or is this just overloading the system with unnecessary info? My thoughts are that lat long and alt will give 3D pix for some future generation of OSM, but if the general opinion is not to upload it, then I wont.

4: I see references to GPSBabel, but cannot make any sense of it. I downloaded something, but it doesnt work.

5: Are there any clubs/groups/meetings of OSM people in the Canberra region who meet on a regular basis?

Thanks,

Graeme Wilson VK1RE

Re: New member, need a mentor.

Matt White-12
Graeme Wilson wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I need to know:
>
> 1: Just what is needed in the gpx files, particularly the header? I
> have a basic understanding of xml and html (it's all text). The header
> is what's holding me up at the moment.

The GPX format is pretty straightforward. I think you can get away with
the minimal header details ( I went to have alook at the header of one
of my files, but it looks like Mapsource( which I use to clean up the
files prior to upload) seems to insert a whole pile of extra dat, so
they aren't that great as an example. I had a really good example file
(bare bones GPX file that uploaded OK) but I can't locate it at hte moment.
> 2: Is the date and time stamp needed? I presume not.
I think date and time is currently needed for it to work. There has been
a bit of whinging about this recently on the main talk list

> 3: One of my main 'holdups' is that I wanted to upload altitude as
> well as lat and long, but I have been told that altitude is deleted by
> OSM. Is it OK to upload altitude or is this just overloading the
> system with unnecessary info? My thoughts are that lat long and alt
> will give 3D pix for some future generation of OSM, but if the general
> opinion is not to upload it, then I wont.
I think it's still stipping the lat long data, which kind of sucks.

> 4: I see references to GPSBabel, but cannot make any sense of it. I
> downloaded something, but it doesnt work.
>
> 5: Are there any clubs/groups/meetings of OSM people in the Canberra
> region who meet on a regular basis?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Graeme Wilson VK1RE
Matt

Re: New member, need a mentor.

mtrax
Have you tried deleting using Mapsource?
It would seem a bit manual but pretty easy job.

Paul

On 5/10/2008 8:08 PM, Graeme Wilson wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I need a mentor, preferably in the Canberra region.
>
> I am a drive test technician and monitor mobile phone coverage across
> Australia. I do approx 120,000km + per year and I have been collecting
> masses of GPS data in two formats.
>
> Firstly, which I will process last, from October 2007 to June 2008 is
> data in Excel format. The 'problem' with processing this is how to
> eliminate the periods of time when I am stopped. I'll worry about that
> later, but I will need someone to advise me on how to convert Excel
> format data to gpx or whatever it is, and then up load it.
>
> Secondly, which I want to do firstly, all data recorded since June is
> straight ASCII text from the RS232 port of a Garmin eTrex. I can process
> this info to eliminate the stationary info, and can extract lat and long
> easily to form another text file, from which I could import to Excel and
> then up load, or even to directly make gpx files myself. I can write
> console applications in Delphi to do simple conversions of text to text,
> and I would prefer to make the gpx files directly from the straight text.
>
> I need to know:
>
> 1: Just what is needed in the gpx files, particularly the header? I have
> a basic understanding of xml and html (it's all text). The header is
> what's holding me up at the moment.
>
> 2: Is the date and time stamp needed? I presume not.
>
> 3: One of my main 'holdups' is that I wanted to upload altitude as well
> as lat and long, but I have been told that altitude is deleted by OSM.
> Is it OK to upload altitude or is this just overloading the system with
> unnecessary info? My thoughts are that lat long and alt will give 3D
> pix for some future generation of OSM, but if the general opinion is not
> to upload it, then I wont.
>
> 4: I see references to GPSBabel, but cannot make any sense of it. I
> downloaded something, but it doesnt work.
>
> 5: Are there any clubs/groups/meetings of OSM people in the Canberra
> region who meet on a regular basis?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Graeme Wilson VK1RE

Re: New member, need a mentor.

Peter Ross-5
On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Graeme Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I need a mentor, preferably in the Canberra region.
>
> I am a drive test technician and monitor mobile phone coverage across
> Australia. I do approx 120,000km + per year and I have been collecting
> masses of GPS data in two formats.
>
> Firstly, which I will process last, from October 2007 to June 2008 is data
> in Excel format. The 'problem' with processing this is how to eliminate the
> periods of time when I am stopped. I'll worry about that later, but I will
> need someone to advise me on how to convert Excel format data to gpx or
> whatever it is, and then up load it.
>
> Secondly, which I want to do firstly, all data recorded since June is
> straight ASCII text from the RS232 port of a Garmin eTrex. I can process
> this info to eliminate the stationary info, and can extract lat and long
> easily to form another text file, from which I could import to Excel and
> then up load, or even to directly make gpx files myself. I can write console
> applications in Delphi to do simple conversions of text to text, and I would
> prefer to make the gpx files directly from the straight text.
>
> I need to know:
>
> 1: Just what is needed in the gpx files, particularly the header? I have a
> basic understanding of xml and html (it's all text). The header is what's
> holding me up at the moment.

You can download a simple gpx file which I got via gpsbabel from my
garmin GPS.  It has a fairly minimal header.

http://openstreetmap.org/user/petdr/traces/215044

> 2: Is the date and time stamp needed? I presume not.

Actually it is, OSM will not accept tracks without timestamps.
Note the timestamps don't need to be accurate, they just need to be there.
I think the idea is that in the future they may want one to be able to
only download recent gps points.

> 3: One of my main 'holdups' is that I wanted to upload altitude as well as
> lat and long, but I have been told that altitude is deleted by OSM. Is it OK
> to upload altitude or is this just overloading the system with unnecessary
> info? My thoughts are that lat long and alt will give 3D pix for some future
> generation of OSM, but if the general opinion is not to upload it, then I
> wont.

I don't know, but it can't hurt.  If you have the information you
might as well give it to OSM.  OSM can then decide whether to keep it
or not.

> 4: I see references to GPSBabel, but cannot make any sense of it. I
> downloaded something, but it doesnt work.

gpsbabel is a program for converting between different gps data formats.

For example (under linux) I run the following to get from my gps.
gpsbabel -t -i garmin -o gpx /dev/ttyS0 track.gpx

You should be able to do something like the following to convert your data

gpsbabel -i xcsv,style=mystyle -o gpx input.csv output.gpx

All you would need to do is define the file mystyle (see
http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.3.5/styles_intro.html) and save your
excel in the csv format.

If you are having trouble doing that I would be more than willing to
help out, just send me some example data.

> 5: Are there any clubs/groups/meetings of OSM people in the Canberra region
> who meet on a regular basis?

I'm in Melbourne so I can't help you with that one.

Cheers,
Pete

Re: New member, need a mentor.

Kim Hawtin-2
Hi Graeme,

Graeme Wilson wrote:

> I need a mentor, preferably in the Canberra region.
>
> I am a drive test technician and monitor mobile phone coverage across Australia. I do approx 120,000km + per year and I have been collecting masses of GPS data in two formats.
>
> Firstly, which I will process last, from October 2007 to June 2008 is data in Excel format. The 'problem' with processing this is how to eliminate the periods of time when I am stopped. I'll worry about that later, but I will need someone to advise me on how to convert Excel format data to gpx or whatever it is, and then up load it.
>
> Secondly, which I want to do firstly, all data recorded since June is straight ASCII text from the RS232 port of a Garmin eTrex. I can process this info to eliminate the stationary info, and can extract lat and long easily to form another text file, from which I could import to Excel and then up load, or even to directly make gpx files myself. I can write console applications in Delphi to do simple conversions of text to text, and I would prefer to make the gpx files directly from the straight text.
>
> I need to know:
>
> 1: Just what is needed in the gpx files, particularly the header? I have a basic understanding of xml and html (it's all text). The header is what's holding me up at the moment.

I use a tool called 'gpsbabel' on Linux, I am not aware of a tool like this on (I assume you are using) Windows.

With gpsbabel you can convert between a large number of formats...
Perhaps you could convert the excel data into something like gpsdrive and then use gpsbabel to convert that to .gpx

.gpx is a XML like format from Garmin.

Perhaps someone could convert the data for you?

I've just done a bulk load for a friend who has a OpenMoko FreeRunner, we converted, uploaded and mapped yesterday =)

Maybe you could send me a small chunk of data and I could try a conversion and write a howto up?

> 2: Is the date and time stamp needed? I presume not.

No that I am aware of.

> 3: One of my main 'holdups' is that I wanted to upload altitude as well as lat and long, but I have been told that altitude is deleted by OSM. Is it OK to upload altitude or is this just overloading the system with unnecessary info? My thoughts are that lat long and alt will give 3D pix for some future generation of OSM, but if the general opinion is not to upload it, then I wont.

Open Street Map is a map, its not a GIS... I don't believe that OSM stores the hieght data.

> 4: I see references to GPSBabel, but cannot make any sense of it. I downloaded something, but it doesnt work.

=) Do you have a Linux machine handy?

> 5: Are there any clubs/groups/meetings of OSM people in the Canberra region who meet on a regular basis?

If not there should be, perhaps you guys can tag along to another computer club meeting and have a special interest group they way we do that with LinuxSA?

Kim VK5FNET
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations

Re: New member, need a mentor.

Andrew Loughhead
Kim Hawtin wrote:
> Hi Graeme,
>
> Graeme Wilson wrote:
>
>> 4: I see references to GPSBabel, but cannot make any sense of it. I downloaded something, but it doesnt work.
>>

> =) Do you have a Linux machine handy?

gpsbabel is available on windows too, as a console application (ie you
run it in a "Command Prompt" box). There seem to be some basic GUI
versions as well, but they look too limited to bother with. gpsbabel is
really good but working out the incantation for any particular problem
can be quite hard.

Re: New member, need a mentor.

Kim Hawtin-2
Andrew Loughhead wrote:

> Kim Hawtin wrote:
>> Hi Graeme,
>>
>> Graeme Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> 4: I see references to GPSBabel, but cannot make any sense of it. I downloaded something, but it doesnt work.
>>>
>> =) Do you have a Linux machine handy?
>>
> gpsbabel is available on windows too, as a console application (ie you
> run it in a "Command Prompt" box). There seem to be some basic GUI
> versions as well, but they look too limited to bother with. gpsbabel is
> really good but working out the incantation for any particular problem
> can be quite hard.

gpsbabel -h

cheers,

Kim
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations

Liz

Re: New member, need a mentor.

Liz
On Tue, 7 Oct 2008, Kim Hawtin wrote:
> Open Street Map is a map, its not a GIS... I don't believe that OSM stores
> the height data.

I have seen some 'very old' points with height data but they are not normally
seen now