New road style for the Default map style - the second version. And thanks for rural test locations!

Re: New road style for the Default map style - the second version. And thanks for rural test locations!

Daniel Koć
W dniu 24.07.2015 12:22, Lester Caine napisał(a):

> As others have said - generally covering large areas as 'farmland' is
> not helping anybody ...

For me it works - just like grassland or industrial, it shows what is
the dominant of the whole area and I care for it a lot at middle zoom
levels: at least I know what kind of place is it. Residential is also
not just for showing the borders of individual "living boxes", but
rather for showing what is the use of this area.

down" [A. Cohen]

Re: New road style for the Default map style - the second version. And thanks for rural test locations!

> Am 24.07.2015 um 12:22 schrieb Lester Caine <[hidden email]>:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dfarm has so few entries
> tagged that I am sure it could be 'retired' now?

like 640.000 few? I'd also like to retire it, but I wouldn't base that on usage numbers ;-)

cheers

Re: New road style for the Default map style - the second version. And thanks for rural test locations!

Mateusz Konieczny-2
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 10:45:06 +0200
Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1, huge arbitrary farmland areas are pointless and hide the actual
> white spots where there would be something still to map.

Main use of landuse is not for marking mapped areas. It may be used for
rendering lower zoom levels.

It is better to have mapped landuse that area lacking any data.

Obviously, incorrectly mapped landuse is worse than missing data.

On 24/07/2015 7:49 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Fri Jul 24 09:45:06 2015 GMT+0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>
>> sent from a phone
>>
>>> Am 23.07.2015 um 20:49 schrieb Lester Caine <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> What is needed is proper tagging of fields rather than adding random
>>> areas of 'farmland' where the land outside of that is also farmland
>>> anyway. So yes I would argue that some of these areas are wrong when
>>> they have some arbitrary boundary through the middle of farmland.
>>
>> +1, huge arbitrary farmland areas are pointless and hide the actual white spots where there would be something still to map.
>>
> +1
> The same issues occur with vast residential areas.

-1

There is a balance between mapping large areas that are dominated by that landuse and individually mapping each farm/residence with its landuse.

The mapper makes their best choice between detail and work load. If someone does not 'like' it that can modify it,
hopefully to improve it rather than just deleting it!

I'm presently mapping residential areas ... getting tired of the detail I'm putting in,
I've noted other entries with less detail.
As the rendering is substantially the same I see little point in continuing with the detail I have been putting in and
may go with less detail and cover more of the map quickly that way.

Re: New road style for the Default map style - the second version. And thanks for rural test locations!

> Am 24.07.2015 um 14:30 schrieb Mateusz Konieczny <[hidden email]>:
>
> Obviously, incorrectly mapped landuse is worse than missing data.

yes, that was the question, what to consider 'correct'

cheers

Re: New road style for the Default map style - the second version. And thanks for rural test locations!

lsces
>> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dfarm has so few entries
>> > tagged that I am sure it could be 'retired' now?
>
> like 640.000 few? I'd also like to retire it, but I wouldn't base that on usage numbers ;-)

OK I was just looking at the bottom of the page and seeing '69' ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL