New to lists and would like to suggest some imports

New to lists and would like to suggest some imports

Russell Meier

Greetings,

I am new to the idea of discussing additions to OSM and like to do my best to follow best practices in suggesting an import. I am not sure were to start.

I live in Tennessee USA. The State of Tennessee has posted a number of datasets without any license restrictions on this site tn-tnmap.opendata.arcgis.com . I would like to suggest some of this data would be useful in open street maps. For now I would like to add a building outline data set to OSM and a state parks trails data set.

As I am new to the idea of putting up data for discussion before it is added to OSM I am not sure what information would be best to include to begin a discussion/ review process. I would appreciate some suggestions advice as to what information to include in this suggestion / request for review.

Thanks,

Treldin

(Russell Meier)

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: New to lists and would like to suggest some imports

Joe Sapletal

Would be nice to combine those building polygons with address data.  If they don’t have any readily available it looks like http://results.openaddresses.io/ has collected a lot of address data for Tennessee.  Could be a really big project to get the community behind.  Might be fun.

Joe

Re: [Imports-us] New to lists and would like to suggest some imports

Richard Welty-2
first things first. the import guidelines are here:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines

second, the licensing is critical. make absolutely sure that the state
has a clear statement
of public domain, CC0 or equivalent license.

probably the most valuable import would be conflated address points and
building footprints.
NYC did such an import, and Mass as well. they have import pages that
are worth looking over.
Jason Remillard has tools from the Mass project here:

https://github.com/jremillard/osm-import-toolkit

you can use the import-us mailing list to kick things around and discuss
what you're
trying to do. you need to prepare a page describing your import proposal
and it will
eventually have to be brought to the import mailing list for review. the
better the job
you do before going to the import list, the better off everyone will be.

i'm currently developing a plan for a NYS address points import
(hopefully with building
footprints) and so i'm in a somewhat similar place right now.

richard

On 1/8/18 7:54 PM, Russell Meier wrote:

> Greetings,
>

> I am new to the idea of discussing additions to OSM and like to do my
> best to follow best practices in suggesting an import. I am not sure
> were to start.
>

> I live in Tennessee USA. The State of Tennessee has posted a number of
> datasets without any license restrictions on this site
> tn-tnmap.opendata.arcgis.com . I would like to suggest some of this
> data would be useful in open street maps. For now I would like to add
> a building outline data set to OSM and a state parks trails data set.
>

> As I am new to the idea of putting up data for discussion before it is
> added to OSM I am not sure what information would be best to include
> to begin a discussion/ review process. I would appreciate some
> suggestions advice as to what information to include in this
> suggestion / request for review.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Treldin
>
> (Russell Meier)

> Windows 10

 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search

Re: New to lists and would like to suggest some imports

Michael Patrick
I just took a cursory sample of a couple 'mostly useful to OSM' the Tennessee data, and me thinks their deployment isn't all that well thought out. The collection appears to be a mix of Open, public, licensed for certain uses, and joint licensing. For instance the Transportation / Roads has the license in the metadata:

"Use_Constraints: (C) 1984-2007 by Tele Atlas(R). All rights reserved. This material is proprietary and the subject of copyright protection and other intellectual property rights owned by or licensed to Tele Atlas(R) and its affiliates. The use of this material is subject to the terms of a license agreement. You will be held liable for any unauthorized copying or disclosure of this material."

Sometimes of the 'joint venture' data can be complicated. For instance, the Puget Sound Lidar Commission data is totally open, but this an exception - jurisdictions will usually get a huge price break for a survey if they only use the data themselves and the vendor gets to sell it to anybody else.

This sometimes includes derivatives also - like the building footprints. Sometimes individual counties reserve license on their contributions to a statewide dataset.

Michael Patrick
Data Ferret

Re: New to lists and would like to suggest some imports

Mateusz Konieczny-2
On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 19:54:09 -0500
Russell Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am not sure were to start.

(...)

> Thanks,
>
> Treldin

Assuming that you are https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Treldin - I
would start from manual mapping to be better aware how mapper
interacts with data.

Check quality of data, frequently official data is not good enough to
import it.

Re: New to lists and would like to suggest some imports

Frederik Ramm

On 09.01.2018 01:54, Russell Meier wrote:
> I am new to the idea of discussing additions to OSM and like to do my
> best to follow best practices in suggesting an import. I am not sure
> were to start.

First of all, be aware that data imports are not the normal way in which
data is added to OpenStreetMap. They are an exception. Opinions are
divided about whether they are good or bad and I won't go into that now,
but largely OpenStreetMap is a project of citizen cartographers (making
the map themselves) and not an IT project that focuses on the
assimilation of data sets created by others.

Even where data is imported to "kick-start" the map, the imported data
is never the last word; it will be modified, updated, improved by
volunteers through manual work later.

It is therefore a very good idea to earn your stripes by doing some
old-fashioned manual mapping yourself before embarking on a grand import
project; that way you'll get a better idea of working with the data as a
mapper, of what makes sense and what doesn't. Of just how precise you'd
like a building footprint to be when you edit it by hand later, and so on.

Bye
Frederik