New to open GIS, would like some descriptive differences between desktop platforms

New to open GIS, would like some descriptive differences between desktop platforms

Matt Supert
Hello,
My name is Matt Supert and I am researching information regarding Open
Source GIS platforms.

I am researching information about implementing Open GIS platforms and I am
looking for information that can summarize the differences between the
general open source GIS desktop platforms that appear to be available.

Generally there appears to be uDig, QGIS, GRASS and Open Jump as the main
open source gis desktop platforms. I was wondering if someone could give me
a run down in their general strengths and weaknesses.

Also what is their modularity or expandability to other software platforms?
I have researched several server side and web side open source products such
as PostGIS, Geoserver and Mapserver. How well do the desktop clients
integrate to those systems, and can any of those systems implement to
traditional ERP platforms or CRM platforms such as SugarCRM, MySQL or Munis?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Matthew A. Supert
Government Finance Officers Association
203 N. LaSalle St., Suite 2700
Chicago, IL 60601-1210
Phone: 312-977-9700 ext. 215
Direct: 312-578-5465
Fax: 312-977-4806

Re: New to open GIS, would like some descriptive differences between desktop platforms

Jody Garnett
Hi Matt:

The email lists are a great place to judge the strength of each of these
operations.

Last year an online seminar was held with representatives from each of
these projects, you may find the position papers submitted to the
seminar an interesting read, along with some of the discussion threads.
- http://miles.asmoz.org/

Best of luck with your research,
Jody
> Hello,
> My name is Matt Supert and I am researching information regarding Open
> Source GIS platforms.
>
> I am researching information about implementing Open GIS platforms and I am
> looking for information that can summarize the differences between the
> general open source GIS desktop platforms that appear to be available.

The a seminar materials may provide you just this summary:
-
http://miles.asmoz.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=47
> Generally there appears to be uDig, QGIS, GRASS and Open Jump as the main
> open source gis desktop platforms. I was wondering if someone could give me
> a run down in their general strengths and weaknesses.

You did miss the original "Jump", there are a couple more forks to be
found in that direction.
> Also what is their modularity or expandability to other software platforms?
> I have researched several server side and web side open source products such
> as PostGIS, Geoserver and Mapserver. How well do the desktop clients
> integrate to those systems, and can any of those systems implement to
> traditional ERP platforms or CRM platforms such as SugarCRM, MySQL or Munis?

Not sure I have heard of much integration in this direction, MySQL seems
to lack a spatial index, so while it can hold your geometry information
it is not often used for spatial applications

> Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
>

> Matthew A. Supert
> Government Finance Officers Association
> 203 N. LaSalle St., Suite 2700
> Chicago, IL 60601-1210
> Phone: 312-977-9700 ext. 215
> Direct: 312-578-5465
> Fax: 312-977-4806

Re: New to open GIS, would like some descriptive differences between desktop platforms

Gary Watry-2
http://www.coaps.fsu.edu/gis/

lower left corner

Matt Supert wrote:

> Hello,
> My name is Matt Supert and I am researching information regarding Open
> Source GIS platforms.
>
> I am researching information about implementing Open GIS platforms and I am
> looking for information that can summarize the differences between the
> general open source GIS desktop platforms that appear to be available.
>
> Generally there appears to be uDig, QGIS, GRASS and Open Jump as the main
> open source gis desktop platforms. I was wondering if someone could give me
> a run down in their general strengths and weaknesses.
>
> Also what is their modularity or expandability to other software platforms?
> I have researched several server side and web side open source products such
> as PostGIS, Geoserver and Mapserver. How well do the desktop clients
> integrate to those systems, and can any of those systems implement to
> traditional ERP platforms or CRM platforms such as SugarCRM, MySQL or Munis?
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
>

> Matthew A. Supert
> Government Finance Officers Association
> 203 N. LaSalle St., Suite 2700
> Chicago, IL 60601-1210
> Phone: 312-977-9700 ext. 215
> Direct: 312-578-5465
> Fax: 312-977-4806

The information transmitted is intended solely for the person or entity for which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.

Gary L. Watry
GIS Coordinator
Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies
FSU / COAPS
Johnson Building, RM 231
2035 East Paul Dirac Drive
Tallahassee, Florida 32306-2840

Phone (850) 645-7457

E-Mail: [hidden email]

Re: New to open GIS, would like some descriptive differences between desktop platforms

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS)-2
Also see:

http://www.refractions.net/white_papers/oss_briefing/2006-06-OSS-Briefing.pdf

You are probably missing gvSIG in your list.

Best regards,
Bart

Matt Supert schreef:

> Hello,
> My name is Matt Supert and I am researching information regarding Open
> Source GIS platforms.
>
> I am researching information about implementing Open GIS platforms and I am
> looking for information that can summarize the differences between the
> general open source GIS desktop platforms that appear to be available.
>
> Generally there appears to be uDig, QGIS, GRASS and Open Jump as the main
> open source gis desktop platforms. I was wondering if someone could give me
> a run down in their general strengths and weaknesses.
>
> Also what is their modularity or expandability to other software platforms?
> I have researched several server side and web side open source products such
> as PostGIS, Geoserver and Mapserver. How well do the desktop clients
> integrate to those systems, and can any of those systems implement to
> traditional ERP platforms or CRM platforms such as SugarCRM, MySQL or Munis?
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
>

> Matthew A. Supert
> Government Finance Officers Association
> 203 N. LaSalle St., Suite 2700
> Chicago, IL 60601-1210
> Phone: 312-977-9700 ext. 215
> Direct: 312-578-5465
> Fax: 312-977-4806

Bart van den Eijnden
OSGIS, Open Source GIS
[hidden email]
http://www.osgis.nl

Gary Watry wrote:
> http://www.coaps.fsu.edu/gis/
>
> lower left corner

Thanks Gary, the link results in a time out for me.
Jody

Re: New to open GIS, would like some descriptive differences between desktop platforms

Sergio Baños Calvo-3
Hello Matt.

Maybe you too could go to http://www.saig.es/en/index.php , and see
about Kosmo-Corporate Free Gis Platform, a desktop platform and more.

Regards
Antonio Muñoz