New tool/API to find local OSM mailing lists by location

New tool/API to find local OSM mailing lists by location

Edward Betts-4
I've made a tool with an API for finding local OSM mailing lists.

https://local.openstreetmap.directory/

The web interface handles searching by place name or lat/lon, the API can
be queried by place name, lat/lon and OSM object.

This is a proof of concept, I threw it together to see if it useful.

How might it be used? Think about systems for organising remote mapathons,
like Missing Maps. They could use the API to look up the local mailing list
and remind the organiser to contact the local community to let them know
about the mapathon.

Or an assisted editing tool like MapRoulette might show details of the local
mailing list so mappers know how to contact if they're making a complex edit
and they want to check with the local community that the edit is correct.

Here are some example queries and the result:

  Cuba:          Talk-cu
  Rome:          Talk-it-lazio
  Burkina Faso:  Talk-bf
  Oxford:        Talk-gb-oxoncotswolds
  Timbuktu:      Talk-ml
  47.6,-122.3:   Talk-us-pugetsound

How does it work? The heavy lifting is done via the Nominatim API. For every
lookup it issues a query to Nominatim and uses the address information to
determine the local mailing list.

Code: https://github.com/EdwardBetts/localosm
Service: https://local.openstreetmap.directory/

Is this useful? I'd love to hear your thoughts or questions.
--
Edward.

Re: New tool/API to find local OSM mailing lists by location

Nelson A. de Oliveira
On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Edward Betts <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've made a tool with an API for finding local OSM mailing lists.
>
> https://local.openstreetmap.directory/

Nice service!

If possible, maybe it could display all the lists that could be
possibly related with the place?
With your Oxford example, it could also suggest Talk-GB as a more general list.

Maybe display from the most specific to the more general list?

Re: New tool/API to find local OSM mailing lists by location

joost
That's really cool. What would it take to merge more sources in there? For example the main community e-mail address, their activities calendar, their riot/telegram/slack group? Maybe a structured wiki page could be the source?

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Edward Betts <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've made a tool with an API for finding local OSM mailing lists.
>
> https://local.openstreetmap.directory/

Nice service!

If possible, maybe it could display all the lists that could be
possibly related with the place?
With your Oxford example, it could also suggest Talk-GB as a more general list.

Maybe display from the most specific to the more general list?

Joost Schouppe

Re: New tool/API to find local OSM mailing lists by location

Rebecca Firth
Hi,

I can see this being really useful, thanks Edward!

Echoing what Joost said, it would be great to be able to see more information on the community, and also possibly to see more than one result e.g. if I search a city, it could be useful to see the mailing list for that location plus the country / regional one?

On the Missing Maps website we tried to do something similar to make it easier for people who want to run mapathons to connect with other local volunteers who might be keen to support them and grow the local community further - http://www.missingmaps.org/host/#helper-map-contents (you can sign up at the link if you're keen to join).

Thanks,

Rebecca

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 2:18 PM, joost schouppe <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's really cool. What would it take to merge more sources in there? For example the main community e-mail address, their activities calendar, their riot/telegram/slack group? Maybe a structured wiki page could be the source?

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Edward Betts <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've made a tool with an API for finding local OSM mailing lists.
>
> https://local.openstreetmap.directory/

Nice service!

If possible, maybe it could display all the lists that could be
possibly related with the place?
With your Oxford example, it could also suggest Talk-GB as a more general list.

Maybe display from the most specific to the more general list?

Joost Schouppe

Rebecca Firth
Community and Partnerships Manager
@RebeccaFirthy

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Re: New tool/API to find local OSM mailing lists by location

Andy Townsend
On 25/11/2017 19:18, joost schouppe wrote:
That's really cool. What would it take to merge more sources in there? For example the main community e-mail address, their activities calendar, their riot/telegram/slack group? Maybe a structured wiki page could be the source?

Firstly, it's a great idea...

However, it's going to need more than just geographical information I think - for example for the Netherlands community I'd use the forum for contact rather than the talk-nl mailing list, whereas for IE/GB/UK it's the other way around.  It'd also need people to be able to say e.g. "in $country we mostly use $other_service and you can contact us via ....".  Maybe it's possible to see how many posts in each list/forum have been made and see which is the one that people actually use?

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: New tool/API to find local OSM mailing lists by location

Michał Brzozowski
Exactly. This is very important, as sometimes it's not obvious which contact channel is used by respective local communities.

This could be integrated as a button into iD so that it's hard to miss for beginners.

Michał

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 10:43 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the feedback. It's obvious I need to make two changes:

- support other forums beyond the mailing lists hosted on
  http://lists.openstreetmap.org/
- return all the matches within the result hierarchy, not just the most
  specific, so searching for Glasgow should give talk-scotland and talk-GB

Best to avoid building anything against the existing API because I'm going to
change it. I'll post here when I've made these changes.
--
Edward.