New version of JOSM noticably sluggisher and becoming unresponsive

New version of JOSM noticably sluggisher and becoming unresponsive

Maarten Deen
I don't know if other people notice this too, but the new version of
JOSM (14163) is noticably more shluggish than the previous version.
Moving nodes is not fluent but jerky. And after some time it just stops
responding.
It starts with the same symptoms as I mentioned in bug 16403 [1] and
then after a while it just stops working. It is just unresponsive
without taking processor power.

Doing several restarts I notice different strange behaviours. I thought
maybe it was related to having a large dataset open so now I have a
smaller one, but now I have the "Add value?" dialog open and I can't
change anything there and the ok, cancel or help buttons are
unresponsive. And obviously I can't click on the main screen because the
Add value? dialog is modal.
For some reason the JAVA debug screen is also unresponsive.

I'm going back to an older version because this does not work at all for
me.

[1] <https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/16403>

Regards,
Maarten

Re: New version of JOSM noticably sluggisher and becoming unresponsive

Jo-2
I'm also noticing that JOSM sometimes hangs. In my case it is then
consuming >300% processing power. I often see it right after panning the
map.

I'm beta testing PT_Assistant and can't be sure whether that has something
to do with it. It's drawing many labels for all the bus stops, which are
calculated based on route membership. This worked well before, but then it
was only shown for the stops of the active route relation.

Polyglot

Op zo 19 aug. 2018 om 11:01 schreef Maarten Deen <[hidden email]>:

> I don't know if other people notice this too, but the new version of
> JOSM (14163) is noticably more shluggish than the previous version.
> Moving nodes is not fluent but jerky. And after some time it just stops
> responding.
> It starts with the same symptoms as I mentioned in bug 16403 [1] and
> then after a while it just stops working. It is just unresponsive
> without taking processor power.
>
> Doing several restarts I notice different strange behaviours. I thought
> maybe it was related to having a large dataset open so now I have a
> smaller one, but now I have the "Add value?" dialog open and I can't
> change anything there and the ok, cancel or help buttons are
> unresponsive. And obviously I can't click on the main screen because the
> Add value? dialog is modal.
> For some reason the JAVA debug screen is also unresponsive.
>
> I'm going back to an older version because this does not work at all for
> me.
>
> [1] <https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/16403>
>
> Regards,
> Maarten

Re: New version of JOSM noticably sluggisher and becoming unresponsive

Maarten Deen
In this case I was also working with bus routes and the PT Assistant.

Regards,
Maarten

On 2018-08-19 11:35, Jo wrote:

> I'm also noticing that JOSM sometimes hangs. In my case it is then
> consuming >300% processing power. I often see it right after panning
> the map.
>
> I'm beta testing PT_Assistant and can't be sure whether that has
> something to do with it. It's drawing many labels for all the bus
> stops, which are calculated based on route membership. This worked
> well before, but then it was only shown for the stops of the active
> route relation.
>
> Polyglot
>
> Op zo 19 aug. 2018 om 11:01 schreef Maarten Deen <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I don't know if other people notice this too, but the new version of
>>
>> JOSM (14163) is noticably more shluggish than the previous version.
>> Moving nodes is not fluent but jerky. And after some time it just
>> stops
>> responding.
>> It starts with the same symptoms as I mentioned in bug 16403 [1] and
>>
>> then after a while it just stops working. It is just unresponsive
>> without taking processor power.
>>
>> Doing several restarts I notice different strange behaviours. I
>> thought
>> maybe it was related to having a large dataset open so now I have a
>> smaller one, but now I have the "Add value?" dialog open and I can't
>>
>> change anything there and the ok, cancel or help buttons are
>> unresponsive. And obviously I can't click on the main screen because
>> the
>> Add value? dialog is modal.
>> For some reason the JAVA debug screen is also unresponsive.
>>
>> I'm going back to an older version because this does not work at all
>> for
>> me.
>>
>> [1] <https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/16403>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Maarten

Re: New version of JOSM noticably sluggisher and becoming unresponsive

Vincent Privat
Please try first by disabling this plugin before blaming JOSM...

Le dim. 19 août 2018 à 11:41, Maarten Deen <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> In this case I was also working with bus routes and the PT Assistant.
>
> Regards,
> Maarten
>
> On 2018-08-19 11:35, Jo wrote:
> > I'm also noticing that JOSM sometimes hangs. In my case it is then
> > consuming >300% processing power. I often see it right after panning
> > the map.
> >
> > I'm beta testing PT_Assistant and can't be sure whether that has
> > something to do with it. It's drawing many labels for all the bus
> > stops, which are calculated based on route membership. This worked
> > well before, but then it was only shown for the stops of the active
> > route relation.
> >
> > Polyglot
> >
> > Op zo 19 aug. 2018 om 11:01 schreef Maarten Deen <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >> I don't know if other people notice this too, but the new version of
> >>
> >> JOSM (14163) is noticably more shluggish than the previous version.
> >> Moving nodes is not fluent but jerky. And after some time it just
> >> stops
> >> responding.
> >> It starts with the same symptoms as I mentioned in bug 16403 [1] and
> >>
> >> then after a while it just stops working. It is just unresponsive
> >> without taking processor power.
> >>
> >> Doing several restarts I notice different strange behaviours. I
> >> thought
> >> maybe it was related to having a large dataset open so now I have a
> >> smaller one, but now I have the "Add value?" dialog open and I can't
> >>
> >> change anything there and the ok, cancel or help buttons are
> >> unresponsive. And obviously I can't click on the main screen because
> >> the
> >> Add value? dialog is modal.
> >> For some reason the JAVA debug screen is also unresponsive.
> >>
> >> I'm going back to an older version because this does not work at all
> >> for
> >> me.
> >>
> >> [1] <https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/16403>
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Maarten

Re: New version of JOSM noticably sluggisher and becoming unresponsive

Jo-2
LOL, Vincent, that's exactly the reason why I mentioned that I also notice
this issue. We're simply trying to figure out where it's coming from. So
indeed, the next step is checking whether disabling the plugin makes the
problem go away. At least then we know in which direction we need to search
for an actual solution.

Is there a way to 'audit' the part of the code that assigns the pink text
to each bus stop? The pink text is calculated based on all the route
relations the stop is member of. I don't know whether this calculation is
done over and over again, or cached somehow. Or whether it's even possible
to cache these results.

I'm going to ask Biswesh to make the displaying of those calculated
route_ref counterparts optional. Then we know that that's where it's coming
from and figure out whether it can be optimised.

Jo

Op zo 19 aug. 2018 om 14:57 schreef Vincent Privat <[hidden email]
>:

> Please try first by disabling this plugin before blaming JOSM...
>
> Le dim. 19 août 2018 à 11:41, Maarten Deen <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > In this case I was also working with bus routes and the PT Assistant.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Maarten
> >
> > On 2018-08-19 11:35, Jo wrote:
> > > I'm also noticing that JOSM sometimes hangs. In my case it is then
> > > consuming >300% processing power. I often see it right after panning
> > > the map.
> > >
> > > I'm beta testing PT_Assistant and can't be sure whether that has
> > > something to do with it. It's drawing many labels for all the bus
> > > stops, which are calculated based on route membership. This worked
> > > well before, but then it was only shown for the stops of the active
> > > route relation.
> > >
> > > Polyglot

Re: New version of JOSM noticably sluggisher and becoming unresponsive

Eric Gillet
Disabling geotools solved the slugginess for me.

Le 19/08/2018 à 11:35, Jo a écrit :
> I'm also noticing that JOSM sometimes hangs. In my case it is then
> consuming >300% processing power. I often see it right after panning the
> map.
>
> I'm beta testing PT_Assistant and can't be sure whether that has something
> to do with it.

Re: New version of JOSM noticably sluggisher and becoming unresponsive

Vincent Privat
To troubleshoot performance issues you have to profile the code, for
example with JVisualVM, Java Mission Control or YourKit.
Then you can see what part of the code uses most CPU.