Newbie needs guidance

Kevin-2
I just downloaded and installed uDig to see if it might help me with a small project I am working on.

I have a shapefile from a local county that has all the parcels in it. I need to get the area of each parcel into a database.

If I click on a particular parcel and look at the bottom of the information pane it lists the area and length of the parcel.

How to I export that info into a delimited file or sqlite database or something I can import to an existing db?

Any help or pointers to relevant documentation or tutorials would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Newbie needs guidance

Rahkonen Jukka

Do you want to get features and their areas into database, or do you especially want to learn how to do that with uDig? If the result it most important then you can reach it directly with Spatialite.

- Download spatialite-gui

- Import your shapefile with the button that spatialite-gui has for it. Give name “parcels” for a new table

- Run SQL command

alter table parcels add column area;

- Run another SQL commad

update parcels set area=ST_Area(geometry);

You have done it. You can spend the time you saved for example reading the manuals of uDig or your favourite programming language.

-Jukka Rahkonen-