North-south street labels not displaying

North-south street labels not displaying

JR Nanczek
I'm using uDig version 1.1.1 on Mac OS 10.5.8.

I'm working on a project with a layer containing city street centerlines. An associated  .dbf table contains the street name for each centerline.

Using the label function of the style editor, I caused street-name labels to display. However, the street names appear only for east-west and diagonal streets. No labels appear for the north-south streets, even tho each of those streets has the same type of table record as the E-W streets.

This occurs regardless of the magnification.

It doesn't seem to be an issue of label crowding, as some of the E-W streets names display on top of others.

Anyone know how I might cause the N-S labels to appear?

Re: North-south street labels not displaying

Jody Garnett-2
I have not heard of a problem of this nature, dare I ask if you can try uDig 1.4.0 ? I expect the road label would try and draw at the centroid of the road, I wonder if they are always ending up colliding with the east-west roads?

There are a number of vendor options for labels, including asking them to follow the roads, perhaps you will have more luck with a different approach?

Here is the GeoServer reference page on labelling, we use the same rendering engine:
- http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/styling/sld-cookbook/lines.html

You can follow these "sld cookbook" examples using the advanced page of the style editor.

--
Jody Garnett