Nwecastle data

Steve Coast
gps

Re: Nwecastle data

gps
This is fantastic news.

The level of detail in the track logs is fantastic.  Routes which are repeated multiple times like Roundabouts on the A1(M) exits are beautiful and exactly like they look.

HOWEVER, looking at some data I've already uploaded there seems to be a noticeable offset in the data.  I don't know for sure why this would be - but the difference looks similar to the effect seen when a GPS in using OSGB36 as the datum instead of WAG84.

I haven't had a chance to look at in detail yet - but I wondered what the chances are that something like this might have happened?

Calum

On Sat, November 25, 2006 9:06 pm, SteveC wrote:

> http://www.opengeodata.org/?p=111
>
> have fun,
>
> SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Calum Polwart

Re: Newcastle data

Robert (Jamie) Munro
SteveC wrote:
> http://www.opengeodata.org/?p=111

Is it possible this data is all about 150m too far east? I tried looking
at areas near where some of my relatives live, and started adding
streets and correcting things, until I realised that I was always
pushing existing roads in the same direction by the same amount.

Robert (Jamie) Munro

Re: Nwecastle data

Nick Black
Hi Calum,

I think the chances are quite high.  The data was probably recorded in
OSGB using the Airy ellipoide.  AFAIK accurate transformation from
OSGB - WGS84 using GDAL (ogr2ogr etc) require a bit of additional
hacking.  If any one has scripts to help the transformation, they
would be much appeciated.

NIck

On 11/26/06, Calum Polwart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is fantastic news.
>
> The level of detail in the track logs is fantastic.  Routes which are repeated multiple times like Roundabouts on the A1(M) exits are beautiful and exactly like they look.
>
> HOWEVER, looking at some data I've already uploaded there seems to be a noticeable offset in the data.  I don't know for sure why this would be - but the difference looks similar to the effect seen when a GPS in using OSGB36 as the datum instead of WAG84.
>
> I haven't had a chance to look at in detail yet - but I wondered what the chances are that something like this might have happened?
>
> Calum
>
> On Sat, November 25, 2006 9:06 pm, SteveC wrote:
> > http://www.opengeodata.org/?p=111
> >
> > have fun,
> >
> > SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

> > This email has been verified as Virus free
> > Virus Protection and more available at http://www.plus.net
> >

> --
> Calum Polwart

Re: Nwecastle data

Nick Whitelegg-2
Subject:        Re: [OSM-talk] Nwecastle data

>Hi Calum,

>I think the chances are quite high.  The data was probably recorded in
>OSGB using the Airy ellipoide.  AFAIK accurate transformation from
>OSGB - WGS84 using GDAL (ogr2ogr etc) require a bit of additional
>hacking.  If any one has scripts to help the transformation, they
>would be much appeciated.

>NIck

Have you seen JCoord? (www.jstott.me.uk/jcoord) ?
It's a library which can convert between WGS84 and OSGB projected lat/lon
, and lat/lon and grid refs. There are Java, JavaScript and PHP versions.
I used it for the JOSM NPE plugin and for Freemap-NPE, and it seems to
work well.

Nick

Re: Nwecastle data

Richard Fairhurst
Nick W wrote:
> Have you seen JCoord? (www.jstott.me.uk/jcoord) ?
> It's a library which can convert between WGS84 and OSGB projected lat/lon
> , and lat/lon and grid refs. There are Java, JavaScript and PHP versions.

or if you want some Perl, Geo::Coordinates::OSGB.

cheers
Richard

Re: Nwecastle data

Steve Coast
* @ 27/11/06 11:30:35 AM [hidden email] wrote:

> Subject:        Re: [OSM-talk] Nwecastle data
>
> >Hi Calum,
>
> >I think the chances are quite high.  The data was probably recorded in
> >OSGB using the Airy ellipoide.  AFAIK accurate transformation from
> >OSGB - WGS84 using GDAL (ogr2ogr etc) require a bit of additional
> >hacking.  If any one has scripts to help the transformation, they
> >would be much appeciated.
>
> >NIck
>
> Have you seen JCoord? (www.jstott.me.uk/jcoord) ?

It's what I used to convert it, and it didn't do the right thing
automatically.

A new fixed version is near to being inserted thanks to help from
gagravarr