[OPC2012] Operation Cowboy - Mission statement

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
!i!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[OPC2012] Operation Cowboy - Mission statement

!i!
Hi,
as I don't read any discussions about where and what to map, I would
like to bring up this essential question again.

Just a few possible ideas (that can be also mixed):
- adding new details (as buildings, landuse, ...)
- fixing TIGER (alignment, classification, ...)
- focus on the coast areas only (big cities)
- focus on the countryside (where no one has been before)
- focus on n states (and making there a huge step)
- ...

cya,
Matthias

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OPC2012] Operation Cowboy - Mission statement

the Old Topo Depot
Hi Matthias

Another possibility is using Martijn's maproulette tool (http://lima.schaaltreinen.nl/remap/) and simply iterating through the errors.

Best,

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Matthias Meißer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
as I don't read any discussions about where and what to map, I would like to bring up this essential question again.

Just a few possible ideas (that can be also mixed):
- adding new details (as buildings, landuse, ...)
- fixing TIGER (alignment, classification, ...)
- focus on the coast areas only (big cities)
- focus on the countryside (where no one has been before)
- focus on n states (and making there a huge step)
- ...

cya,
Matthias

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us



--
John Novak
585-OLD-TOPOS (585-653-8676)


_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OPC2012] Operation Cowboy - Mission statement

Alex Barth
In reply to this post by !i!
Tiger cleanup is huge in my mind, road alignment is something that can be nicely fixed w/ Satellite imagery.

I'm sure you've seen Martijn's writeup:

http://oegeo.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/binders-full-of-tiger-deserts/

And some links that have been thrown out in the comment thread to that article:

http://ksmapper.blogspot.ca/2010/12/updated-tiger-map.html

http://www.itoworld.com/map/162#


On Nov 6, 2012, at 4:59 AM, Matthias Meißer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> as I don't read any discussions about where and what to map, I would like to bring up this essential question again.
>
> Just a few possible ideas (that can be also mixed):
> - adding new details (as buildings, landuse, ...)
> - fixing TIGER (alignment, classification, ...)
> - focus on the coast areas only (big cities)
> - focus on the countryside (where no one has been before)
> - focus on n states (and making there a huge step)
> - ...
>
> cya,
> Matthias
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-us mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us

Alex Barth
http://twitter.com/lxbarth
tel (+1) 202 250 3633





_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OPC2012] Operation Cowboy - Mission statement

Martijn van Exel-3
Hi,

I think it would be good if we can put together a (wiki) page with
resources for armchair TIGER mappers.

Take a TIGER ghost town (I will commit to making a list of those) like
this one here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=39.52791&lon=-111.58147&zoom=16&layers=M

and think: what could anyone do to improve the situation here?

* Straightening roads
* Adding traffic signals if there are any [1]
* Positioning GNIS imported POIs
* Adding building outlines for important buildings (most every town
has a school, a church or two)
* Look around the town for weird TIGER ways that don't align with
satellite imagery (usually tracks / unpaved) - reclass and align

There has to be more. Suggestions?

Who can put this together and link to it from the Operation Cowboy page? [2]

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MapRoulette/Challenges#Detecting_traffic_signals_on_major_intersections
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Operation_cowboy


On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Alex Barth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tiger cleanup is huge in my mind, road alignment is something that can be nicely fixed w/ Satellite imagery.
>
> I'm sure you've seen Martijn's writeup:
>
> http://oegeo.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/binders-full-of-tiger-deserts/
>
> And some links that have been thrown out in the comment thread to that article:
>
> http://ksmapper.blogspot.ca/2010/12/updated-tiger-map.html
>
> http://www.itoworld.com/map/162#
>
>
> On Nov 6, 2012, at 4:59 AM, Matthias Meißer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> as I don't read any discussions about where and what to map, I would like to bring up this essential question again.
>>
>> Just a few possible ideas (that can be also mixed):
>> - adding new details (as buildings, landuse, ...)
>> - fixing TIGER (alignment, classification, ...)
>> - focus on the coast areas only (big cities)
>> - focus on the countryside (where no one has been before)
>> - focus on n states (and making there a huge step)
>> - ...
>>
>> cya,
>> Matthias
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Talk-us mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
>
> Alex Barth
> http://twitter.com/lxbarth
> tel (+1) 202 250 3633
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-us mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us



--
martijn van exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OPC2012] Operation Cowboy - Mission statement

Will Skora
In reply to this post by !i!

Instead of writing things multiple times in multiple places on the wiki (with some pages up to date, others not) I just linked to the TIGER Fixup page on the OPC wiki page.
The TIGER fixup page was relatively outdated, imho, but I began to address some of the suggestions (For OPC) that have been expressed in this discussion.

regards,
will
(skorasaurus)

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OPC2012] Operation Cowboy - Mission statement

Martijn van Exel-3
Sounds good to me! That page could use a refresh for sure.

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 2:02 PM, william skora <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Instead of writing things multiple times in multiple places on the wiki
> (with some pages up to date, others not) I just linked to the TIGER Fixup
> page on the OPC wiki page.
> The TIGER fixup page was relatively outdated, imho, but I began to address
> some of the suggestions (For OPC) that have been expressed in this
> discussion.
>
> regards,
> will
> (skorasaurus)
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-us mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
>



--
martijn van exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OPC2012] Operation Cowboy - Mission statement

Richard Weait
In reply to this post by !i!
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 4:59 AM, Matthias Meißer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> as I don't read any discussions about where and what to map, I would like to
> bring up this essential question again.
>
> Just a few possible ideas (that can be also mixed):
> - adding new details (as buildings, landuse, ...)
> - fixing TIGER (alignment, classification, ...)
> - focus on the coast areas only (big cities)
> - focus on the countryside (where no one has been before)
> - focus on n states (and making there a huge step)

Is there any way to tie this event into growing the local community or
assisting a local community that _wants_ some distant armchair
support?  How about:

- call a friend in Distant Town and have them agree to survey Main
Street after you fix TIGER and add the buildings from imagery.
- have a local user request assistance for Adjacent County TIGER
fixup, in exchange for surveying names for new subdivisions in
Adjacent County
- have new mappers request a mapping coach to join them online allow
the new mapper to learn with an interested coach helping out on voice,
IRC, email, whatever...

Just doing armchair mapping has the chance to create a positive
result, but using the armchair mapping event to grow local communities
where they don't yet exist would be a greater good.

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
!i!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OPC2012] Operation Cowboy - Mission statement

!i!
In reply to this post by Martijn van Exel-3
Am 07.11.2012 19:33, schrieb Martijn van Exel:
> Hi,
>
> I think it would be good if we can put together a (wiki) page with
> resources for armchair TIGER mappers.

User:lyx started a real great guide in German, focusing on the most
troubles with imports and what differs in the US:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Operation_cowboy/TIGER

One question ist still, if we should remove the tiger:reviewed flag, if
it seems ok in BING, of if we should keep it, till somebody does a on
the ground survey?

Somebody started alread adding target areas:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Operation_Cowboy#State_cake

May you can please add some more, that need to be fixed/enriched with
details? Think about that you are the only ones with information about
the area and there is a bunch of hungry mappers out there ;)

Matthias

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
!i!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OPC2012] Operation Cowboy - Mission statement

!i!
In reply to this post by Richard Weait
Am 09.11.2012 05:09, schrieb Richard Weait:

> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 4:59 AM, Matthias Meißer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> as I don't read any discussions about where and what to map, I would like to
>> bring up this essential question again.
>>
>> Just a few possible ideas (that can be also mixed):
>> - adding new details (as buildings, landuse, ...)
>> - fixing TIGER (alignment, classification, ...)
>> - focus on the coast areas only (big cities)
>> - focus on the countryside (where no one has been before)
>> - focus on n states (and making there a huge step)
>
> Is there any way to tie this event into growing the local community or
> assisting a local community that _wants_ some distant armchair
> support?  How about:
>
> - call a friend in Distant Town and have them agree to survey Main
> Street after you fix TIGER and add the buildings from imagery.
> - have a local user request assistance for Adjacent County TIGER
> fixup, in exchange for surveying names for new subdivisions in
> Adjacent County
> - have new mappers request a mapping coach to join them online allow
> the new mapper to learn with an interested coach helping out on voice,
> IRC, email, whatever...
>
> Just doing armchair mapping has the chance to create a positive
> result, but using the armchair mapping event to grow local communities
> where they don't yet exist would be a greater good.

Sounds really good to me, but I have no idea how to organise this. I bet
it will be easier, if US folks join the IRC and add a prefix as "US" to
their nickname, so it will be easy to ask US specific questions.

bye,
Matthias


_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us