OSGeo Oceania as a not-for-profit entity? Your feedback, please

OSGeo Oceania as a not-for-profit entity? Your feedback, please

John Bryant
Hi all,

As promised, following on the heels of the successful FOSS4G SotM Oceania conference in November 2018, we have embarked on a journey to lay down a strong foundation for the growth of this community. In addition to planning a new instance of the conference in Wellington, New Zealand, for November 2019, we are also doing significant ground work on establishing a not-for-profit that can manage funds, enter into agreements, and act as a local chapter of OSGeo and OSMF.

We have developed a recommendation for an initial path forward, and we'd like you, the community, to provide your feedback. If you have experience or knowledge here, and can provide insight, or wish to contribute your thoughts, please chime in. Your comments are most welcome, and can be provided by responding to this email, or by commenting in the Google Doc.

The draft recommendation is attached as a PDF, and a live Google Doc version is linked here. We will take input until the end of next week (29 March). At that point, we'll make adjustments where warranted, and hopefully be in a position to raise a motion to the OSGeo Oceania board to accept the recommendation, and begin the process.

If this is all new to you, and you're wondering what the heck OSGeo Oceania even is, please check out this basic wiki page that will give you a bit of background. We'll be fleshing this out in the coming months, but I hope it gives you enough of an idea. We will certainly be aiming to increase our outreach, and get people involved from across the region.

Any questions, please ask!

Cheers
John Bryant
on behalf of OSGeo Oceania

Proposal for Entity Structure.pdf (146K) Download Attachment

Re: OSGeo Oceania as a not-for-profit entity? Your feedback, please

Graeme Fitzpatrick
Thanks for keeping us posted, John, & good work!

I'd agree with the suggestion of a stand-alone CLG as a SPC, together with charity status.

Although, as you have noted, this combination reduces the need for an AGM & Financial reporting; in the interest of transparency, I would urge you to still hold an AGM & produce financial reports for the benefit of members. This would / should not need to be a fully audited report produced by an accountant - anybody who is capable of entering info into QuickBooks can produce a simple profit & loss statement to show where money has come from, & gone to, over the preceeding year.

Do you need to get professional help in setting the Company up? While there is a bit involved, it is all relatively straight-forward, & mainly involves filling out govt forms (which, to anybody able to use the OSM wiki, should be a piece of cake! :-)) Having said that, my experience is only with Incorporated Associations, so a CLG may be a bit different, but shouldn't be hugely more complicated?

Good luck with it all!

Thanks

Graeme

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 at 19:04, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the feedback Graeme. I agree 100% with holding an AGM & producing financial reports. In all likelihood, we'd aim for holding an AGM at the annual conference, which is easily our best opportunity for a face-to-face meeting. Details will be sorted out in due course, but I definitely encourage you to keep our feet to the fire on this :)

Re: getting professional help. I agree - it's not necessarily hugely complicated. However I think what we're facing is a bit of complexity in the order of operations, and optimising the process. While we could likely figure it out ourselves, it would be helpful to have someone with experience to save us time & effort, and possibly help us avoid making mistakes. So, the thinking behind paying a professional is to 1) lighten the volunteer load a bit, while 2) ensuring we do this correctly and efficiently. That said, if there is someone in the community who has experience with this, and wants to lend a hand, let's talk...

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 at 06:42, Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: [OSGeo Oceania] OSGeo Oceania as a not-for-profit entity? Your feedback, please

John Bryant
Hi Bruce, we're hoping to wrap up this comment period on the 29th, it would be good to take your comments into account before we embark on a course of action if possible.

Can you be a bit more specific about which email you're referring to (or does someone else perhaps know)? Alternatively are you able to provide a summary here?

In any case, we will of course always be open to discussion on the direction of this organisation!

Cheers
John

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 at 18:13, Bruce Bannerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi John,

I’m currently travelling through Outback Australia with severely limited Internet access.

I intend making comments, but will not be able to do so until early April, after I return.

For starters, see my earlier email on liability on the AustNZ list several months ago.

Kind regards,

Bruce

On 18 Mar 2019, at 19:31, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Phil Wyatt

Might be back here John although I cant see anything specific

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/aust-nz/2018-August/thread.html#1932

Re: OSGeo Oceania as a not-for-profit entity? Your feedback, please

Sebastian Spiess
I do welcome the initiative to put OSM and OSGEO interested people onto a more solid foundation. Personally I hope this can be a starting point for more face-2-face interactions and engagement.

I did read through your proposal and I see no issues with Option2 as suggested as favourable.
For all options there is the need for several people to fill positions with varying degrees of liability. Do you have an understanding how big the pool of active volunteers is and how many would be required for Option 2?

Cheers,
Sebastian

On 18/3/19 8:01 pm, John Bryant wrote:
[...]

Hi Sebastian, the question of the available pool of volunteers is a great question. I feel in the short term, we have sufficient levels of volunteerism and enthusiasm to get it started, but will need to work on growing the pool to make it sustainable.

We will need new people getting involved every year. The FOSS4G SotM Oceania conference will be one way to draw in fresh energy, but there are other branches of this community, such as these mailing lists and other events, that can also give people the chance to get involved. Setting up OSGeo and OSMF local chapters will hopefully be a step in the right direction, and operating transparently will be important to make sure people can see opportunities to contribute where they have specific interests and skills.

For the purposes of setting up an entity - we probably need a core group of at least ~6 active people to fulfil the executive/director roles and provide sufficient oversight. The annual conference requires a committee of something like 5-15 people (it's only the 2nd time around so we're learning as we go), and there could be additional subcommittees depending on people's initiative & interest.

IMHO it's the more, the merrier, and the sky is the limit. I think we can keep this alive with a relatively small group, but the point is to get people involved and engaged, and collaborating to make things happen, so I hope we can grow a large pool of contributors.

Anyway - good question, the answer is 'we will see' but I'm optimistic! This community has a bright future.

Cheers!
John

Hi all,