OSM + Freemap = new OSM client showing footpaths

OSM + Freemap = new OSM client showing footpaths

Nick Whitelegg
Hello everyone,

Would like to announce a new web based OSM client, "Freemap-OSM", which uses
the OSM data to display routes of different types (roads, paths etc) in
different colours. It is essentially my existing Freemap site but using OSM
data rather than Freemap's own database, and will be orientated towards
countryside users. At the moment all OSM routes are shown (those with no
particular type are shown in grey) but as the key/value system develops the
aim is not to go into great detail in towns (as OSM itself can provide that!)
but focus on the country instead, just like Freemap.

At the moment roads and paths are shown but not villages, pubs or other points
of interest. However these should appear in the near future.

"Freemap-OSM" like Freemap itself also shows NASA SRTM height data, if you are
in the box bounded by 7W, 2E, 49N and 59N. This is basically the UK plus
parts of far northern France.

BTW would welcome feedback on the name. "Freemap-OSM" is something of a
temporary measure and  is subject to change. It is named that way to keep it
distinct to Freemap itself while I gradually migrate Freemap itself to be
fully OSM-based. It may revert to plain Freemap eventually; another name I
thought of was "OpenFootMap" to show it is OSM based but countryside rather
than city orientated. Any thoughts on Freemap vs Freemap-OSM vs OpenFootMap?

Nick

PS: Technical details: I tagged the routes I contributed to OSM from Freemap's
own database with the following keys:

foot = accessible to foot? (yes or no)
bike = accessible to bike? (yes or no)
car = accessible to car? (yes or no)
horse = accessible to horse? (yes or no)
class = class of route (path, unsurfaced, minor, secondary, primary or
motorway)

Oops forgot URL! (was: Re: OSM + Freemap = new OSM client...)

Nick Whitelegg
Oops...

Forgot the URL!

http://www.free-map.org.uk/osm/

Nick

RE: OSM + Freemap = new OSM client showing footpaths

ANDY ROBINSON-2
Nice one Nick. It's great to see some of my mapping being put to some
extended use.

Here is part of Sutton Coldfield:

http://www.free-map.org.uk/osm/index.php?js=0&e=410575&n=293981

Andy Robinson

Re: Oops forgot URL! (was: Re: OSM + Freemap = new OSM client...)

Graham Wall
That's awsome! It's great to plug in the co-ords for the mapping I've
done and see the roads line up with the contours neatly.

Graham

> Oops...
>
> Forgot the URL!
>
> http://www.free-map.org.uk/osm/
>
> Nick

Re: OSM + Freemap = new OSM client showing footpaths

Petter Reinholdtsen

[Nick]
> BTW would welcome feedback on the name.

Just to increase the confusion, what about HikerMap or OpenHikerMap?

Re: Re: OSM + Freemap = new OSM client showing footpaths

Sean Burlington
On Friday 18 Nov 2005 8:31 am, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Nick]
>
> > BTW would welcome feedback on the name.
>
> Just to increase the confusion, what about HikerMap or OpenHikerMap?

how about FreeCountryMap

it's not just about walking - and it plays on the phrase

"it's a free Country"

--

Sean