OSM New Logo Proposal

Elio Qoshi

Hi there,

Elio here, Designer and Open Source contributor from Albania.

Based on the new Donation Initiative Logo, I thought it would be a good time to discuss around adapting a new logo which is more suitable for print, smaller displays and generally a broader variety of backgrounds.

Having this in mind, I came up with a proposal of a logo, including the wordmark, which was never included as part of it. The wordmark is written in "Overpass" an Open Source font sponsored by Red Hat. Overpass is based on the street sign font, so I think it's a perfect fit:

http://cloud.elioqoshi.me/index.php/s/QjdOYc7WyoSBFqv/download

What do you think of it? I believe it's time to suggest a new more modern logo for OSM nowadays to make it more usable for communities to adapt it.

I look forward to your feedback!

P.S: Also posted an issue on GitHub:
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1326

Elio Qoshi

FLOSS Designer at Ura Design
Mozilla Tech Speaker
Fedora Ambassador
T:  @elioqoshi
W:  elioqoshi.me / ura.design

Re: OSM New Logo Proposal

dieterdreist
I like it a lot, although it's a pity the zeros and ones are missing, maybe you could give it a try and integrate something?

> Il giorno 14 ott 2016, alle ore 16:36, Elio Qoshi <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> What do you think of it?

Re: OSM New Logo Proposal

SimonPoole
I suspect that was exactly the kind of thing Elio was trying to avoid .....

That said, I'm not convinced that yet another iteration of the
magnifying glass logo makes a lot of sense. Logos with the basic theme
are a dime a dozen and ours employs memes that are not obvious at all
today on top of that.

Simon

> I like it a lot, although it's a pity the zeros and ones are missing, maybe you could give it a try and integrate something?
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> sent from a phone
>
>> Il giorno 14 ott 2016, alle ore 16:36, Elio Qoshi <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>>
>> What do you think of it?

Re: OSM New Logo Proposal

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

On 10/14/2016 09:34 PM, Simon Poole wrote:
> I suspect that was exactly the kind of thing Elio was trying to avoid .....
>
> That said, I'm not convinced that yet another iteration of the
> magnifying glass logo makes a lot of sense. Logos with the basic theme
> are a dime a dozen and ours employs memes that are not obvious at all
> today on top of that.

I'm not sure if we need a new logo at all, but *if* we do, I think I
prefer what has been done here - evolving the existing one - over
throwing it out in favour of something completely different, memes or no
memes. The magnifying glass is hard to explain when there's nothing
under it but I think we have reached an age where it is ok to simply
hold on to something because of tradition ;)

Bye
Frederik

Re: OSM New Logo Proposal

Dave F

On 14/10/2016 15:36, Elio Qoshi wrote:

What do you think of it?

It wasn't that long ago we previously went through this process.

Personally I wish there was more enthusiasm for improving the database instead of this fluff.
There appears to be far too much type spent on 'managing the process' than adding quality to the product.

Better maps is the best way to promote OSM.

DaveF.

Re: OSM New Logo Proposal

Michael Kugelmann
On 14.10.2016 at 16:36 Elio Qoshi wrote:

Based on the new Donation Initiative Logo, I thought it would be a good time to discuss around adapting a new logo which is more suitable for print, smaller displays and generally a broader variety of backgrounds.

I guess you don't remember the heavy discussion ongoing while the last change of the OSM logo (and this was just a slight change). And please always remember that the people are used to something => there is a recognition value behind the old logo. Additionally all web-pages/flyers/etc. needs to be changed. There for I consider a change of the loggo w/o any needs as not at all the highest priority...

Jst my 2 cents,
Michael.

Re: OSM New Logo Proposal

Aun Yngve Johnsen
I think it is too early to redesign the logo itself, but I like the idea of the wordmark. Incorporating the wordmark with the existing logo is much more preferred.

Aun Johnsen

> On Oct 14, 2016, at 19:35, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> What do you think of it?

Re: OSM New Logo Proposal

Yves
Sure there is no need or no urge to change a logo, no timeline neither, but this proposal triggers a discussion, so let's see where it goes.
The image of the project is something that people can care of, why not?
I personally find the 'negative magnifier' elegant, and the disappearance of the 0s and 1s a good way to simplify this logo and make it easier to scale.
When I see questions about horizontal layers in the Q&A site, I can't help thinking that in some way we tend to be over in explaining the difference between data vs map.
Yves

On 10/15/2016 08:03 AM, Yves wrote:
> I personally find the 'negative magnifier' elegant, and the
> disappearance of the 0s and 1s a good way to simplify this logo and make
> it easier to scale.

I wonder what the established wisdom in the design community is about
this. I mean, many people view the web site on a high-dpi screen with
about a bazillion calibrated colours and we could have a super crafty
logo with gradients and shadows and a shiny 3D effect and so on.

Then there are use cases where you want to logo on a T-shirt or in
16x16px in the corner of a map.

Does that automatically mean that you need to have the
lowest-common-denominator logo that uses only 4 colours and is easily
scalable - or are there ways to have a polished logo for large displays
together with a scalable version and both still retain the same visual
identity?

Of course even a simple logo can look good in large print but I do like
it about the current logo that there are details to discover when you
look closer.

Bye
Frederik

Re: OSM New Logo Proposal

Mikel Maron-3
Im not a designer, but standard wisdom on logos is something that works at multiple scale with few substantial differences is better. Less visual noise is good.

Mikel

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail <a ymailto="mailto:frederik@remote.org" href="javascript:return">frederik@...  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"

Re: OSM New Logo Proposal

Paul Johnson-3

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Frederik Ramm <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On 10/14/2016 09:34 PM, Simon Poole wrote:
> I suspect that was exactly the kind of thing Elio was trying to avoid .....
>
> That said, I'm not convinced that yet another iteration of the
> magnifying glass logo makes a lot of sense. Logos with the basic theme
> are a dime a dozen and ours employs memes that are not obvious at all
> today on top of that.

I'm not sure if we need a new logo at all, but *if* we do, I think I
prefer what has been done here - evolving the existing one - over
throwing it out in favour of something completely different, memes or no
memes. The magnifying glass is hard to explain when there's nothing
under it but I think we have reached an age where it is ok to simply
hold on to something because of tradition ;)

 That, and with the rapid evolution of both data consumers and editors since I joined seven and a half years ago, rather suggests the more "effortless" usage we have now.  The binary digits have been fading in my time with the project as it is.  Also makes it more easily customization to a local group (useful for me since I'm bad with filters to put, say, Oklahoma's or Tulsa's coat of arms in the logo).

Re: OSM New Logo Proposal

michael spreng
Hi

I find the proposed logo quite appealing. Well done. Nevertheless, I
argue against the magnifying glass

On 14/10/16 21:56, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> The magnifying glass is hard to explain when there's nothing
> under it but I think we have reached an age where it is ok to simply
> hold on to something because of tradition ;)

This is a very good point, but the confusion with search outweighs this.
The average person stumbling across a small OSM logo on different sites
will mistake it as search and not even recognize that it is a logo. I
would like to see a small logo which can be put in a corner of the map
to say "hey, this is OSM data" without user experience headaches.

Michael

Re: OSM New Logo Proposal

Colin Smale

Normal practise is for the "marketing department" to have the logo available in a selection of forms, for different purposes. Think of different formats (square, 16:9, full-width banner etc), different resolutions, different colour depths, perhaps a monochrome version etc. In order to protect the "brand image" companies will have a selection available which have all been individually "crafted" to look good for the use case for which they are intended, and all "approved". The last thing you want is random third parties all hacking it about in their own way - then you would lose control of your own image. It's a bit of work, but it only has to be sorted out once (per rebranding). The spot colours also need specification of course, at least as RGB, CMYK and possibly PMS. Don't forget that not all colours can be represented in RGB.

Re: OSM New Logo Proposal

Christoph Hormann
On Saturday 15 October 2016, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> On 10/15/2016 08:03 AM, Yves wrote:
> > I personally find the 'negative magnifier' elegant, and the
> > disappearance of the 0s and 1s a good way to simplify this logo and
> > make it easier to scale.
>
> I wonder what the established wisdom in the design community is about
> this. I mean, many people view the web site on a high-dpi screen with
> about a bazillion calibrated colours and we could have a super crafty
> logo with gradients and shadows and a shiny 3D effect and so on.

Design is is general highly subject to fashion and trends.  Improvements
in digital technology initially lead to a trend towards more
sophisticated logo designs with more details, less graphical
abstraction and physical realism (like 3d effects and shadows as you
mentioned).

This changed at some point, initially mostly in light of a trend away
from pixel graphics based and 3d rendered designs towards 2d vector
graphics which mandated more abstraction and reduction of realism to a
more cartoon like style.

The raise of mobile display devices triggered another change in fashion.
This was less due to the high resolution displays and more due to the
bad readability of these displays under varying lighting conditions.
This required logos to be very simple in geometry and without
subtilities in colors to still be recognizable.  This is by the way
exactly the direction taken by what is proposed by Elio.

Corporate design, especially for tech companies, follows these trends
quite closely, reflecting the short term marketing goals and the high
need to not appear old-fashioned.

OpenStreetMap as a project with much more long term goals on the other
hand does not need to follow the latest fashion trends and can aim for
a more timeless design.  What this should be is still an open question
of course but this should be considered based on what well represents
the project and not what is considered modern at the moment.  Since OSM
is very much about attention to detail it is IMO not a bad idea to
reflect this in logo design.

This directly relates to another aspect that might deserve
consideration.  The logo and the standard map style form a pair as the
two graphical impressions most will associate with OpenStreetMap.  This
IMO calls for some level of consistency between those.  The map style
features a lot of detail, subtle color differences and very little
abstraction - partly due to technological constraints, partly due to
the purpose it serves.  A logo that strongly contrasts with this is
kind of inconsistent.

Another issue: the current logo design is well suited for adaptation
like for local communities - see:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Logos

which represent the diversity of the project and which people can
intuitively identify with.  I am not so sure if this is similarly
possible with a much simpler and highly abstract logo.

The proposed text design is kind of strange by the way since it
emphasizes 'StreetMap' relative to 'Open' - even though 'Open' is, as
most know, the only part of the name that truly fits (Simon also
mentioned this on github by the way).

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/

Re: OSM New Logo Proposal

> Il giorno 15 ott 2016, alle ore 11:11, Frederik Ramm <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> we could have a super crafty
> logo with gradients and shadows and a shiny 3D effect and so on.

we have this already :)
that's exactly our current logo

Re: OSM New Logo Proposal

Aun Yngve Johnsen
IMO The current logo works in large scale and 16x16 as well. I don’t know of use cases where smaller is needed. Also the colours in the current logo is pleasant to me, and represents a map. The 0’s and 1’s is a clear reference to the digital database. I think if we need to simplify the current logo, than we should use the current logo colour pallet so that the existing logo can be continued to be used as a detailed logo where that is desired.

Aun Johnsen

> On Oct 15, 2016, at 10:34, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>  Im not a designer, but standard wisdom on logos is something that works at multiple scale with few substantial differences is better. Less visual noise is good.

Re: OSM New Logo Proposal

nebulon42
Like it. As the current trends in graphic design go it fits right in.
Less clutter, flat, clear. Colours are nice, but would probably need
more discussion. A specific font for the word OpenStreetMap also makes
sense in terms of CI considerations.

I cannot comment on whether OSM needs a new logo or not. But it does not
hurt to refresh it.

Michael

Am 2016-10-14 um 16:36 schrieb Elio Qoshi:

> Hi there,
>
> Elio here, Designer and Open Source contributor from Albania.
>
> Based on the new Donation Initiative Logo, I thought it would be a good
> time to discuss around adapting a new logo which is more suitable for
> print, smaller displays and generally a broader variety of backgrounds.
>
> Having this in mind, I came up with a proposal of a logo, including the
> wordmark, which was never included as part of it. The wordmark is
> written in "Overpass" an Open Source font sponsored by Red Hat. Overpass
> is based on the street sign font, so I think it's a perfect fit:
>
> http://cloud.elioqoshi.me/index.php/s/QjdOYc7WyoSBFqv/download
>
> What do you think of it? I believe it's time to suggest a new more
> modern logo for OSM nowadays to make it more usable for communities to
> adapt it.
>
> I look forward to your feedback!
>
> P.S: Also posted an issue on GitHub:
> https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1326
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Elio Qoshi
>
> FLOSS Designer at Ura Design
> Mozilla Tech Speaker
> Fedora Ambassador
> T:  @elioqoshi
> W:  elioqoshi.me / ura.design

Re: OSM New Logo Proposal

Michał Brzozowski
Most of what I agree with has already been said.
If any media, such as lo-fi print or t-shirts calls for a simplified
design, there's no problem going with it. This has been done. The good
thing about the general concept of our logo (lens+map) is that it will
be recognizable in either case. These can coexist. I don't feel
there's a need to change our main logo.
Which is not to say the proposed one is bad. But still, I fail to see
how negative space (the lens) would work any better for very small
sizes.

Michał

Re: OSM New Logo Proposal

Tyler Radford
Looks nice Elio

Tyler Radford
Executive Director
@TylerSRadford

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development