OSM Postcode Checking

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists)
Some of you may recall that I've previously advertised a tool that
checks addr:postcode tags in OSM UK against the official Code-Point
Open data. There are two reports:

* http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postcodes/osm-errors.html is updated
daily and flags up OSM postcode values that  don't exist in Code-Point
Open

* http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postcodes/location-errors.cgi is
updated roughly weekly, and flags up OSM objects with postcodes whose
location differs significantly from the postcode centroid in
Code-Point Open.

I've just discovered a bug in the first report, that meant many
non-existent units were not being reported. (I'd forgotten to clear
the cache of valid units between each sector). Having fixed this,
there are now rather a lot of new errors (over 1500) there that could
do with manual checking. Presumably some will be typos by mappers,
others will be errors in sources, some will be old now-disused
postcodes, and some may be new codes that haven't made it into
Code-Point Open yet.

If anyone fancies helping out, then please have a look at some of the
flagged postcodes at
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postcodes/osm-errors.html#unit and see
if the OSM data needs correcting. (Remember to only use acceptable OSM
sources for postcodes. Code-Point Open can be used, but address
look-up tools from Royal Mail and others cannot.)

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker

Re: OSM Postcode Checking

Ed Loach-2
How sure are you that 'Old Postal Unit' isn't just that the postcode got left out of the update by mistake?

It's just that checking the first two CO postcodes in the list, the businesses there still seem to be using the 'old' one on their websites, e.g:
https://www.eastofengland.coop/travel/eld-lane-colchester
http://www.glynhopkin.com/renault/our-locations/renault-colchester/

Thanks,

Ed

Re: OSM Postcode Checking

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists)
On 5 Mar 2017 7:17 pm, "Ed Loach" <[hidden email]> wrote:
How sure are you that 'Old Postal Unit' isn't just that the postcode got left out of the update by mistake?

It's just that checking the first two CO postcodes in the list, the businesses there still seem to be using the 'old' one on their websites, e.g:
https://www.eastofengland.coop/travel/eld-lane-colchester
http://www.glynhopkin.com/renault/our-locations/renault-colchester/

Not sure at all, but assuming my coding is OK, what you are really asking is how accurate Code-Point Open is. I've seen some issues in Code-Point Open with obviously wrong locations (that have been correct in previous releases), that I haven't got to the bottom of.

I'm not sure how possible it is for a postcode to be accidentally dropped. One (non-OSM-acceptable source) that could be used to check is Royal Mail's postcode finder at http://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode . If the postcode isn't found there either then perhaps is really is defunct.

People making mistakes on their websites with their own postcodes is more common than you might think.

Robert.

Re: OSM Postcode Checking

Colin Smale

On 2017-03-05 21:16, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:

People making mistakes on their websites with their own postcodes is more common than you might think.

What does OSM's "on the ground" rule make of this? Do we tag the correct postcode according to an authoritative source, or do we tag the incorrect postcode that the proprietor is using? (cf. spelling/punctuation differences in street names for example)

//colin

Re: OSM Postcode Checking

Warin

On 2017-03-05 21:16, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:

People making mistakes on their websites with their own postcodes is more common than you might think.

What does OSM's "on the ground" rule make of this? Do we tag the correct postcode according to an authoritative source, or do we tag the incorrect postcode that the proprietor is using? (cf. spelling/punctuation differences in street names for example)

Try to tag the 'truth'. While mistakes are made (by all), the 'truth' should be the goal.

On the post code thing, as it is the Post Offices .. we should try to conform with what they would recognise as correct fro that location.