OSM Tasking manaager #1129 imagery priority

OSM Tasking manaager #1129 imagery priority

David Groom
OSM Tasking manaager #1129  imagery priority

When there is a difference between detailed Bing imagery and the
WorldView-2, 07 Nov 2014; DigitalGlobe, NextView imagery which should
take precedence?

An example can be seen to the south west of the sports pitch here
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/10.13336/124.85114

There are two small buildings north of the DepEd building on Bing, not
seen on Worldview

There is a small group of trees to the immediate west of The DedEd
building on Bing, but buildings can be seen here in Worldview

This is a minor, but easy to appreciate example.  I have also come
across quite a few buildings traced from Bing (and still visible on the
Bing  imagery), but there is no evidence of these on Wordview imagery

David

Re: OSM Tasking manaager #1129 imagery priority

Mike Thompson
John,

I agree the most recent imagery should be used, but how do we know the collection date for the Bing imagery?

Mike

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 7:14 AM, john whelan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes, that was really my point.  perhaps I should have been more explicit.

So my question is really which is the later imagery?  Bing or Worldview

David

On 20/02/2016 14:24, Mike Thompson wrote:

> John,
>
> I agree the most recent imagery should be used, but how do we know the
> collection date for the Bing imagery?
>
> Mike
>
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 7:14 AM, john whelan <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I imagine the most recent imagery should be used.  Some imagery is
>     quite old so more buildings may have been built.
>
>     Cheerio John
>
>     On 20 February 2016 at 09:00, David Groom <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         OSM Tasking manaager #1129  imagery priority
>
>         When there is a difference between detailed Bing imagery and
>         the WorldView-2, 07 Nov 2014; DigitalGlobe, NextView imagery
>         which should take precedence?
>
>         An example can be seen to the south west of the sports pitch
>         here http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/10.13336/124.85114
>
>         There are two small buildings north of the DepEd building on
>         Bing, not seen on Worldview
>
>         There is a small group of trees to the immediate west of The
>         DedEd building on Bing, but buildings can be seen here in
>         Worldview
>
>         This is a minor, but easy to appreciate example. I have also
>         come across quite a few buildings traced from Bing (and still
>         visible on the Bing imagery), but there is no evidence of
>         these on Wordview imagery
>
>         David

Re: OSM Tasking manaager #1129 imagery priority

Jean-Guilhem Cailton-4
Hi Mike, and David,

In JOSM, if I right-click on the Bing imagery near the location given by David, and choose "Display tile information", it shows that capture date was: 4/6/2011.

So, if we trust the metadata, Bing imagery is older than the date mentioned for WorldView-2. The two small buildings described by David may have been destroyed in the meantime.

Best regards,

Jean-Guilhem

--
"On ne m’ôtera pas de l’idée que, pendant la dernière guerre mondiale, de nombreux juifs ont eu une attitude carrément hostile à l’égard du régime nazi." Pierre Desproges
"I won't be deprived of the idea that, during the last world war, many Jews had a downright hostile attitude toward the Nazi regime."

Re: OSM Tasking manaager #1129 imagery priority

Michael Heißmeier-2

in JOSM:

right-click on the background imagery and select "show tile info" from the context menu. The lowest line contains the capture date of the current tile.

David Groom, 2016-02-20 16:01:

    [hidden email]> wrote:

        OSM Tasking manaager #1129  imagery priority

        When there is a difference between detailed Bing imagery and
        the WorldView-2, 07 Nov 2014; DigitalGlobe, NextView imagery
        which should take precedence?

        An example can be seen to the south west of the sports pitch
        here http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/10.13336/124.85114

        There are two small buildings north of the DepEd building on
        Bing, not seen on Worldview

        There is a small group of trees to the immediate west of The
        DedEd building on Bing, but buildings can be seen here in
        Worldview

        This is a minor, but easy to appreciate example. I have also
        come across quite a few buildings traced from Bing (and still
        visible on the Bing imagery), but there is no evidence of
        these on Wordview imagery

        David

Michael
(osm:michael63)

Re: OSM Tasking manaager #1129 imagery priority

Mike Thompson
Michael,

That is fantastic!  Thanks for pointing that out.

Mike

Hi,

    [hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Michael , and Jean-Guilhem, thank you, just what I was looking for.

David