OSM augmented reality project - affordable hosting recommendations or Overpass?

OSM augmented reality project - affordable hosting recommendations or Overpass?

Nick Whitelegg-2

Hi,

This weekend at FOSDEM I gave a talk on "Hikar", my augmented reality project for walkers/hikers making use of OSM data to show trails and virtual signposts on the device. (see http://www.free-map.org.uk/common/hikar.html for info and screenshots).

At the moment however it only works in Britain, Ireland and Greece due to the constraints of my server. Would be great to get it working in the whole of Europe (I realise the world might be a bit much at this stage!), so I wondered if anyone had any affordable hosting recommendations? Hikar downloads GeoJSON from a server containing OSM data (see below) and caches it on the device.

Basically what I need is an OSM PostGIS database (of the type used for Mapnik rendering) but it only needs to contain highways and selected POIs (as nodes) - nothing else. Ideally I also need PHP with the postgres extension as that is what my service is written in at the moment. However, if the best solution was an environment without PHP, I would be prepared to rewrite in say node.js.

Would be looking for hosting of not much more than approximately £20/EUR 20 per month, perhaps £30/EUR 30 as a maximum.

My current server has 1GB of memory and can just about cope with the areas above, so I suspect for the whole of Europe more memory would be required. Storage requirements for Britain, Ireland and Greece is perhaps (as an estimate) 10GB or a little less.

The same service would also serve OpenTrailView, a recently resurrected project to create a fully FOSS StreetView-type system for walkers and hikers. (see opentrailview.org - _very_ early demo!)

As an alternative, I was wondering how acceptable it would be to use the Overpass API to obtain the data? Downloaded data would be cached on the device so for a given area, data would only need to be downloaded once.

Thanks,

Nick

Re: OSM augmented reality project - affordable hosting recommendations or Overpass?

Great Britain mailing list
Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> I wondered if anyone had any affordable hosting recommendations?

> Would be looking for hosting of not much more than approximately
> £20/EUR 20 per month, perhaps £30/EUR 30 as a maximum.

> My current server has 1GB of memory and can just about cope with
> the areas above, so I suspect for the whole of Europe more memory
> would be required. Storage requirements for Britain, Ireland and
> Greece is perhaps (as an estimate) 10GB or a little less.

Amazon Lightsail (in London):

$20/month, 4 GB RAM, 2 CPU cores, 80 GB SSD storage, 4 TB/month bandwidth.

You can add extra storage for $0.10/GB/month.  There are also modest
additional charges for snapshots (for backups).

I have found Lightsail to be very reliable and good value.

The only thing to watch out for is the bandwidth pricing if you exceed
the monthly allowance.  If that's going to be a concern, consider
DigitalOcean.

Regards, Phil.

Re: OSM augmented reality project - affordable hosting recommendations or Overpass?

Remek Zajac
I am hosting my OSM based app (https://zikes.website/) on a two-tier backend:
  • the web frontend and basic user state management on the Google Cloud Engine free tier (this is why, when you load the app, it sometimes needs to be woken up as it snoozes when nobody's talking to it - which is one of the constraints of the free tier)
  • a 32GB dedicated Ubuntu box that i rent from Hetzner at 40EUR/pcm. I load most of Europe (and California) into RAM for efficient routing. I think this is something that you're really after. You can get  16GB/2TB box for 24EUR/pcm as i am looking at it now. This is plainly pay-as-you go. The management is very easy, but it's a bare-bones linux.
Hope this helps
Remek

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 09:30, Nick Whitelegg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Roland Olbricht

> As an alternative, I was wondering how acceptable it would be to use the
> Overpass API to obtain the data? Downloaded data would be cached on the
> device so for a given area, data would only need to be downloaded once.

I'm fine with such a usage. The fine print is about other issues:

- Overpass API does support GeoJSON indirectly, but GeoJSON does not
support EPSG:3857, see

To get GeoJSON I suggest

[out:json];
way(south,west,north,east)[highway];
convert link ::=::,::geom=geom();
out geom;

where (south,west,north,east) is the bounding box.

As an act of courtesy I suggest to set the "Accept-Encoding: deflate,
gzip" header and use

[out:json];
way(south,west,north,east)[highway];
if (count(ways) < 20000)
{
   convert link ::=::,::geom=geom();
   out geom;
}
else
{
   make error what="Too many ways in this bounding box";
   out;
}

This compresses the data and bails out if there are more than 20000 ways
in the bounding box, corresponding to between 1 MB and 2 MB of data.
Overpass would happily deliver about 1 GB per user and day, but the
users may have data plans with rather 1 GB per month.

Thanks,
Roland