[OSM-legal-talk] Questions from a Journalist

[OSM-legal-talk] Questions from a Journalist

FK270673-2
> Could someone explain exactly what will be happening on April 1?

Currently, the license change procedure is just known by a few regular mailing-list readers, not even by many mappers and obviously not by the broad public as a simple google research reveals.

However, there is a journalist who has seen the BADMAP and said: "Wow, that's a very interesting story: A community that secretly destroys much of is own data suddenly on April 1st!" As no media has published anything about the license change until now, he would be the first one to investigate this story. [1]

However, it would take him about one week to write this article and he would like to ask some questions before writing his article:

1. Does the license change include the creation of a new experimental planetfile just for testing purposes or the final destruction of data?

2. Is the BADMAP / CLEANMAP a reliable source for the areas that are deleted after April 1st? Or is it just an experimental tool for visualizing areas that need to be remapped during months before the license change?

3. Is there any navigation website that will prove the detrimental effects of license change after April 1st? Maybe even a BADNAVIGATION website?

4. Is April 1st a fixed date secretly decided by the board or will it be subject to a public decision of all mappers?

5. Why didn't OSMF publish a comprehensive press release until now, just 20 days before the license change? Is it an internal communication failure or a secret conspiration to surprise the broad public on April 1st?

6. Does OSMF have any timetable to publish a comprehensive press release within the next few months? Is OSMF going to publish its press release before or AFTER the license change OR the publication of this article, whatever comes first? Does OSMF intend to translate its press releases into foreign languages?

7. Do active mappers get a copy of OSMF's press releases or do they get their information by the media?

8. Are you going to answer the messages sent by decliners as mentioned in the minutes?

9. How big is the probability that an agreement with UMP will be signed before April 1st? Otherwise he would need to take screenshots from other cities - Bangkok, Santo Domingo, Sydney.

10. Who is "the man who is going to destroy almost 2 million ways"? Is there a photo of him available?

11. Who is willing to give a public statement for / against the sudden license change on April 1st? Preferably with photo or video statement?

12. Is it possible to quote statements from this mailing-list?

13. Is there anybody willing to start a lawsuit on disputed issues, e.g. on split ways?

14. Who is going to inform the survivors of deceased mappers? Does OSMF itself contact them or do they want a journalist to inform them?

15. Is the low number of explicitly "clean" objects a result of failed communication to active mappers or rather a boycott by the active mapping community?

16. Why did only 20,000 mappers reacted to OSMF messages whereas more than 40,000 mappers have gradually accepted or just reacted to personal messages from other mappers?

17. Would any of the active board members resign if many thousand protest mails arrived just before or just AFTER April 1st?

Personally, I didn't want to answer these questions because a wrong answer would destroy OSM's reputation forever. Board members have the option to resign after a wave of protest, but active mappers would do hard to repair destroyed trust caused by tremendous data deletion.

BTW, he is also very interested in quoting insults and threats, either from public or from personal messages.

Cheers
FK270673

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap_in_the_media

Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Questions from a Journalist

Richard Fairhurst
Freimut - I'm happy to talk to your "journalist". As you might know, my day job is as a magazine editor (our magazine celebrates its 40th anniversary this year) and therefore, you could say, I'm quite accustomed to this kind of work. Maybe you might be kind enough to forward my details to this "journalist"?

Richard

Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Questions from a Journalist

Steve Bennett-3
On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 5:05 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> However, there is a journalist who has seen the BADMAP and said:

I was a bit confused by this email - are you talking about a
hypothetical journalist, or has this actually happened?

Steve

Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Questions from a Journalist

Frederik Ramm

On 03/07/2012 07:05 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> 1. Does the license change include the creation of a new experimental
> planetfile just for testing purposes or the final destruction of
> data?

If your journalist opened with that question I would probably stop
talking to him because his use of the word "destruction" already shows
that even though he knows nothing about the license change, he has
already made up his mind about what he wants to write!

The other questions betray considerable misunderstanding, and I would
second RichardF's suggestion for your journalist to contact RichardF
directly.

Bye
Frederik

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Frederik Ramm <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If your journalist opened with that question I would probably stop talking
> to him because his use of the word "destruction" already shows that even
> though he knows nothing about the license change, he has already made up his
> mind about what he wants to write!

Note to community: please don't let Frederik ever talk to journalists...

:p

Steve

Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Questions from a Journalist

ikonor
FK270673-2 wrote
As no media has published anything about the license change until now, he would be the first one to investigate this story.
Well, then here is the first one from a popular german blog netzpolitik.org [1], titled "OpenStreetMap: Lizenzänderung könnte Lücke reißen" (my rough translation: "OpenStreetMap: license change might cut holes").

I find it quite well informed and supportive.

[1] https://netzpolitik.org/2012/openstreetmap-lizenzanderung-konnte-lucke-reisen/

--
Norbert Renner