OSM on paper

Xan-3
Hi,

I want to print Mallorca
[http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=39.677&lon=2.856&zoom=9&layers=M]. I
consulted OSM on Paper wiki page
[http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_on_Paper], and I started using
OSMARENDER [http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmarender] but for me
it's so complicated (for defining rules).

Is there any more easy program to generate svg files?

By the other hand, I want to include topographic curves like in Cycle
Map and some manual POIs (starting and ending points of my personal trip
around Serra de Tramuntana).

What is the easiest method for doing that? When I have svg, easyly I
could pass to pdf and print a plane ;-)

Thanks in advance,
Xan.

Re: OSM on paper

Graham Jones-2
Take a look at http://maposmatic.org/.
I did once start a similar application that would allow customisation like adding contours, POIs etc, but never quite finished it.....

Graham.

On 17 January 2013 19:20, Xan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I want to print Mallorca [http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=39.677&lon=2.856&zoom=9&layers=M]. I consulted OSM on Paper wiki page [http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_on_Paper], and I started using OSMARENDER [http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmarender] but for me it's so complicated (for defining rules).

Is there any more easy program to generate svg files?

By the other hand, I want to include topographic curves like in Cycle Map and some manual POIs (starting and ending points of my personal trip around Serra de Tramuntana).

What is the easiest method for doing that? When I have svg, easyly I could pass to pdf and print a plane ;-)

Thanks in advance,
Xan.

Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK.

Re: OSM on paper

Richard Fairhurst
Xan wrote:
> Is there any more easy program to generate svg files?

If you have Windows (or Mono for Linux), Maperitive.

cheers
Richard

Re: OSM on paper

Xan-3
Al 17/01/13 20:29, En/na Richard Fairhurst ha escrit:
> Xan wrote:
>> Is there any more easy program to generate svg files?
> If you have Windows (or Mono for Linux), Maperitive.
>
> cheers
> Richard

Richard, I thing Maperitive is too much complicated too. And by the
other hand in my ubuntu it does not work. But, thanks for suggestion.

Xan.

Re: OSM on paper

Xan-3
Al 17/01/13 20:20, En/na Graham Jones ha escrit:
Take a look at http://maposmatic.org/.
I did once start a similar application that would allow customisation like adding contours, POIs etc, but never quite finished it.....

Thanks, Graham, but I can't select Mallorca. Why?
Can you include Topographic levels too?

Thanks for that.
[...]

Ah, I see.  I tried selecting it using the bounding box option, but that doesn't work either - it is too big for that service to render.
I did a very simple rendering of Keffalonia when I was going on holiday there a couple of years ago, but I suspect that that my instructions are a bit more complicated than the thing you are looking for - it involved pulling the data into a postgresql database and rendering it using mapnik.

Graham.

On 17 January 2013 21:31, Xan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This is what I want to achieve.
Can I substitute postgresql by sqlite?
Can you put a tutorial of how to do that? (I think it's good to put in wiki)

If sqlite subtitution is not possible, I will try to do with postgresql. But I need more help... ;-)

Thanks in advance,
Xan.

Al 17/01/13 23:09, En/na Graham Jones ha escrit:
[...]

I know some people have experimented with sqlite, but I have not heard of it being used much for rendering osm data - you would have to search the OSM wiki or osm-dev mailing list archive for it.

If you are new to the tools, it is probably easier to use postgresql, as more people use that so will be able to help.
There is a good step-by-step tutorial for setting everything up on Ubuntu at http://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/manually-building-a-tile-server-12-04/.    You will not need the mod_tile and renderd bits, but the postgresql and mapnik installation instructions are useful.   You can then use generate_image.py (which comes with the OSM mapnik stylesheet) to create a map image.
Once you have it working, you can then experiment with changing things.

(There is also a Mapnik plugin to read osm files directly, which may work for small areas, but I have never used it) - again probably best to practice with postgresql first.

Regards

Graham.

On 18 January 2013 12:52, Xan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Al 18/01/13 19:40, En/na Graham Jones ha escrit:
[...]

I will try it and I will post if I find a trouble ;-)

Thanks for all,
Xan.