OSM then and now revived

Martijn van Exel-3
Hi all,

I resuscitated the OSM then and now service, where you can compare OSM as it was in October 2007 with now.
The service is a bit slow because 2007 tiles above z10 are not pre-rendered. This will improve as tiles get cached.
Here is the location of SOTM 2016 as an example: http://mvexel.github.io/thenandnow/#15/50.8178/4.3971

Martijn van Exel

Re: OSM then and now revived

joost
Any chance we'll see some middle version there too in the future? (say, 2012. And than later, 1/1/20**)

You gave us a finger, let me grab your entire arm :)

I resuscitated the OSM then and now service, where you can compare OSM as it was in October 2007 with now.
The service is a bit slow because 2007 tiles above z10 are not pre-rendered. This will improve as tiles get cached.
Here is the location of SOTM 2016 as an example: http://mvexel.github.io/thenandnow/#15/50.8178/4.3971

Martijn van Exel

Joost Schouppe

Re: OSM then and now revived

Maarten Deen
What would be really wonderful is a yearly layer so you can see the
history changing. Just like http://topotijdreis.nl/

Maarten

On 2017-01-28 16:08, joost schouppe wrote:

> Any chance we'll see some middle version there too in the future?
> (say, 2012. And than later, 1/1/20**)
>
> You gave us a finger, let me grab your entire arm :)

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I resuscitated the OSM then and now service, where you can compare
>> OSM as it was in October 2007 with now.
>> The service is a bit slow because 2007 tiles above z10 are not
>> pre-rendered. This will improve as tiles get cached.
>> Here is the location of SOTM 2016 as an example:
>> http://mvexel.github.io/thenandnow/#15/50.8178/4.3971 [1]
>>
>> Martijn van Exel

> Joost Schouppe
> OpenStreetMap [3] | Twitter [4] | LinkedIn [5] | Meetup [6]
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://mvexel.github.io/thenandnow/#15/50.8178/4.3971

Re: OSM then and now revived

François Lacombe-2
Hi Martin,

Thank you, great job :)

François

What would be really wonderful is a yearly layer so you can see the history changing. Just like http://topotijdreis.nl/

Maarten

Re: OSM then and now revived

Dave F
It's great to see it back up & running.

As has been mentioned a time slider for intervening years would be nice.

Also, would it be possible to render it in the carto of the corresponding year to see the difference in appearance?

DaveF

On 26/01/2017 22:17, Martijn van Exel wrote:
Hi all,

I resuscitated the OSM then and now service, where you can compare OSM as it was in October 2007 with now.
The service is a bit slow because 2007 tiles above z10 are not pre-rendered. This will improve as tiles get cached.
Here is the location of SOTM 2016 as an example: http://mvexel.github.io/thenandnow/#15/50.8178/4.3971

Martijn van Exel

Avast logo

Re: OSM then and now revived

It is 'nice' to see the progress of OSM.

Rather than a yearly thing .. every 7 years might be ok, there was a TV program on some children progressing into adulthood .. think that was done every 7 or so years too.

On 29-Jan-17 05:12 AM, François Lacombe wrote:
Hi Martin,

Thank you, great job :)

François

On 2017-01-30 12:07, Simon Poole wrote:
> I suspect the main problem is that in 2007 we didn't really have a lot
> of data so rendering tiles or it is really not such a big issue.
> However 2010 and later would require per point in time a rather
> largish rendering DB plus space for tiles a model that neither scales
> nor would seem to be a particular good use of resources.

You could mitigate that in the future by making a copy of the current
tileset at a fixed point (1st of january for example).

But I agree that it would need quite some space for a gimmick. But with
Seagate announcing 16TB drives and prices of drives dropping steadily, I
assume this argument will be laughed at in 5 years time.

Regards,
Maarten

> Am 30.01.2017 um 11:04 schrieb Martijn van Exel:
>
>> My poor little tile server machine doesn’t have the storage for
>> that, but it would sure be cool to set this up for more points in
>> time. The server itself is not hard to get up and running, although
>> I did find the instructions on switch2osm to be out of date. I
>> followed the instructions here:
>>
> https://www.linuxbabe.com/linux-server/openstreetmap-tile-server-ubuntu-16-04.
>> The only extra step was to download osmosis 0.35 and convert the 0.5
>> planet to 0.6. For older planets you’d need to come up with a way
>> to convert 0.3 / 0.4 planets to 0.6. There is a script to convert
>> from 0.4 to 0.5 but I don’t know of anything that can handle 0.3
>> planets.
>>
>> Martijn van Exel
>>
>> On Jan 28, 2017, at 5:08 PM, joost schouppe
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Any chance we'll see some middle version there too in the future?
>> (say, 2012. And than later, 1/1/20**)
>>
>> You gave us a finger, let me grab your entire arm :)

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I resuscitated the OSM then and now service, where you can compare
>> OSM as it was in October 2007 with now.
>> The service is a bit slow because 2007 tiles above z10 are not
>> pre-rendered. This will improve as tiles get cached.
>> Here is the location of SOTM 2016 as an example:
>> http://mvexel.github.io/thenandnow/#15/50.8178/4.3971 [1]
>>
>> Martijn van Exel

>> --
>>
>> Joost Schouppe
>> OpenStreetMap [3] | Twitter [4] | LinkedIn [5] | Meetup [6]

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://mvexel.github.io/thenandnow/#15/50.8178/4.3971
> [3] http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/
> [4] https://twitter.com/joostjakob
> [5] https://www.linkedin.com/pub/joost-schouppe/48/939/603
> [6] http://www.meetup.com/OpenStreetMap-Belgium/members/97979802/

Re: OSM then and now revived

SimonPoole
It is less a HW issue but more that you would still need to keep 10+
tile servers plus databases running which is, ahem, silly :-).

I don't have a pointer handy but there has been some work done on
extracting a certain point in time iirc  from a API DB via views, that
might scale slightly better.

Simon

Am 30.01.2017 um 12:26 schrieb Maarten Deen:

> On 2017-01-30 12:07, Simon Poole wrote:
>> I suspect the main problem is that in 2007 we didn't really have a lot
>> of data so rendering tiles or it is really not such a big issue.
>> However 2010 and later would require per point in time a rather
>> largish rendering DB plus space for tiles a model that neither scales
>> nor would seem to be a particular good use of resources.
>
> You could mitigate that in the future by making a copy of the current
> tileset at a fixed point (1st of january for example).
>
> But I agree that it would need quite some space for a gimmick. But
> with Seagate announcing 16TB drives and prices of drives dropping
> steadily, I assume this argument will be laughed at in 5 years time.
>
> Regards,
> Maarten
>

>> Am 30.01.2017 um 11:04 schrieb Martijn van Exel:
>>
>>> My poor little tile server machine doesn’t have the storage for
>>> that, but it would sure be cool to set this up for more points in
>>> time. The server itself is not hard to get up and running, although
>>> I did find the instructions on switch2osm to be out of date. I
>>> followed the instructions here:
>>>
>> https://www.linuxbabe.com/linux-server/openstreetmap-tile-server-ubuntu-16-04.
>>
>>> The only extra step was to download osmosis 0.35 and convert the 0.5
>>> planet to 0.6. For older planets you’d need to come up with a way
>>> to convert 0.3 / 0.4 planets to 0.6. There is a script to convert
>>> from 0.4 to 0.5 but I don’t know of anything that can handle 0.3
>>> planets.
>>>
>>> Martijn van Exel
>>>
>>> On Jan 28, 2017, at 5:08 PM, joost schouppe
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Any chance we'll see some middle version there too in the future?
>>> (say, 2012. And than later, 1/1/20**)
>>>
>>> You gave us a finger, let me grab your entire arm :)

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I resuscitated the OSM then and now service, where you can compare
>>> OSM as it was in October 2007 with now.
>>> The service is a bit slow because 2007 tiles above z10 are not
>>> pre-rendered. This will improve as tiles get cached.
>>> Here is the location of SOTM 2016 as an example:
>>> http://mvexel.github.io/thenandnow/#15/50.8178/4.3971 [1]
>>>
>>> Martijn van Exel

>>> --
>>>
>>> Joost Schouppe
>>> OpenStreetMap [3] | Twitter [4] | LinkedIn [5] | Meetup [6]

>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] http://mvexel.github.io/thenandnow/#15/50.8178/4.3971
>> [3] http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/
>> [4] https://twitter.com/joostjakob
>> [5] https://www.linkedin.com/pub/joost-schouppe/48/939/603
>> [6] http://www.meetup.com/OpenStreetMap-Belgium/members/97979802/

Re: OSM then and now revived

Daniel Koć
W dniu 30.01.2017 12:42, Simon Poole napisał(a):
> It is less a HW issue but more that you would still need to keep 10+
> tile servers plus databases running which is, ahem, silly :-).

With Docker containers it might not be any wiser =} , but it should be
at least easy to manage.

--
"A dragon lives forever but not so little boys" [L. Lipton]

Re: OSM then and now revived

Martijn van Exel-3
The once-and-for-all solution would be a full history DB schema from which vector tiles could be extracted for any point in time.

Martijn van Exel