OSMF Local Chapter discussions

Andrew Harvey-3
There is a movement at the moment on the FOSS4G Oceania mailing list,
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/foss4g-oceania/, by the group who
organised the recent FOSS4G SotM Oceania conference, looking to get a
bit more organised through some kind of governance and organisation
structure.

Their proposal is to setup an OSGeo Oceania entity against the terms
of reference at
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/foss4g-oceania/attachments/20181214/f7637cbb/attachment-0001.pdf

The rationale behind this originally stemmed from a desire for an
organisation to run our regional joint FOSS4G and SotM conference, but
the proposal is for "Its purpose is to foster the growth of the
geospatial open source & open data community in the Oceania region,
including the oversight and stewardship of a FOSS4G & SotM Conference
series."

The proposed OSGeo Oceania entity would be similar to the German
FOSSGIS eV https://www.fossgis.de/ which is both the German OSMF Local
Chapter and the Open Source Geospatial organisation.

The OSGeo Oceania terms of reference explicitly state the intention to
become an OSMF Local Chapter
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Local_Chapters, so I feel it's
important the whole community here is aware and has the opportunity to
get involved.

Personally I think a local chapter is a good thing, it can be used to
foster the growth of OpenStreetMap within Australia, New Zealand and
the pacific islands. On my personal wish list:

1. Set up a local HOT Tasking Manager to be used locally for all kinds
of mapping coordination, including post disaster

2. LGA level extracts, this will hopefully make OSM data even more
accessible by local government and help promote OpenStreetMap within
local government

3. Take control of openstreetmap.org.au though the OpenStreetMap
trademark in Australia that OSMF holds

4. A rendering of the OSM Carto style but showing indigenous names.

5. Provide a contact point for government

I have concerns too:

1. Have we reached out to the pacific islands OpenStreetMap community?
If we're starting a Local Chapter that includes them, they need to be
involved in it. (This email is one step to try to get the Australian
and New Zealand communities involved)

2. An OSMF Local Chapter for our region should have the goal to foster
the growth of the OpenStreetMap project within our region. In my
opinion this should include supporting OpenStreetMap within
proprietary software and services, so long as in line with the
OpenStreetMap license. A joint OSGeo Oceania should be okay with
supporting OpenStreetMap and even promoting it together with non free
and open source geospatial software.

3. Funding and money. Funds could be raised through individual
memberships like OSMF and organisation supporters/sponsors. At the
moment the OSGeo Oceania terms of reference don't go into that detail,
it's mostly around running the conference. I'm unsure how the funds
raised would flow into funds distributed, would a sponsor or member be
able to choose if they want their contribution allocated towards just
OpenStreetMap, just free and open source software, or both? What about
at a country level?

Re: OSMF Local Chapter discussions

Graeme Fitzpatrick
Thanks for sharing Andrew.

Sounds good to me!

Thanks

Graeme

Re: OSMF Local Chapter discussions

John Bryant
Thanks Andrew! I'm hopeful this will be seen as a positive move, taken in the spirit it's intended - to enable and empower the OSM and open source geospatial communities to work together with common purpose.

For this new organisation (OSGeo Oceania) to legitimately claim to represent the OSM community, it will certainly need ongoing engagement from OSM people from around the region. Ideally this will include active participation in the governance & management of the organisation. Representation of the OSM community on the board of the new org is explicitly stated as an objective in the newly-written Terms of Reference.

Looking forward to carrying on the discussion.

Cheers!
John

Re: OSMF Local Chapter discussions

FlashKiwi
Great email Andrew!

Andrew makes some great comments and raises some very fair concerns. The key is participation, and if you have a passion for all things OSM in AU/NZ/Pacific then I really encourage you to be part of the process. Subscribe to the https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/foss4g-oceania/ and follow the discussions.

Please don't forget that the 2019 Conference is being held in Wellington

Cheers

Greg Lauer