OT: Google Earth updated

Alex Willmer
Some of you may be interested that Google have updated the UK imagery,
in Google Earth.

The aerial photography is at 6" (15 cm) resolution. That's close enough
to see individual road markings!

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2005/12/massive_new_dat.html

As usual, note that we cannot use this copyrighted imagery in OSM.
Tracing it or referring to it when performing an edit is not allowed.

But it sure is pretty.

Alex

RE: OT: Google Earth updated

ANDY ROBINSON-2
Pretty cool hey, and the colour resolution is superb. Kind of weird to zoom
in on your own house and see your own car in the drive and the assorted
summer junk lying around in the garden. Looks like the Sutton Coldfield
imagery was from the summer before last.

Andy

Re: OT: Google Earth updated

Graham Wall
I was mucking about on Google Earth last night and was pleased to see
that Bristol has some hi-res coverage at last.

One thing I did notice is that they've 'updated' some regions for
older data. Last week I was looking at the completed new Bull Ring in
Birmingham, now it's a muddy hole again.

Graham

On 05/12/05, Andy Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pretty cool hey, and the colour resolution is superb. Kind of weird to zoom
> in on your own house and see your own car in the drive and the assorted
> summer junk lying around in the garden. Looks like the Sutton Coldfield
> imagery was from the summer before last.
>
> Andy

Re: OT: Google Earth updated

lsces
Graham Wall wrote:

> I was mucking about on Google Earth last night and was pleased to see
> that Bristol has some hi-res coverage at last.
>
> One thing I did notice is that they've 'updated' some regions for
> older data. Last week I was looking at the completed new Bull Ring in
> Birmingham, now it's a muddy hole again.
>
> Graham
>
> On 05/12/05, Andy Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Pretty cool hey, and the colour resolution is superb. Kind of weird to zoom
>>in on your own house and see your own car in the drive and the assorted
>>summer junk lying around in the garden. Looks like the Sutton Coldfield
>>imagery was from the summer before last.

The notice says Birmingham 2001 - which would fit with the fact that the
new approach road to the Airport is an area of mud as well ;)

--
Lester Caine

Re: OT: Google Earth updated

David Cantrell (at home)
On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 08:40:54AM -0000, Andy Robinson wrote:
> Pretty cool hey, and the colour resolution is superb. Kind of weird to zoom
> in on your own house and see your own car in the drive and the assorted
> summer junk lying around in the garden. Looks like the Sutton Coldfield
> imagery was from the summer before last.

I wonder why they don't use the same images for maps.google so that
people who don't use Doze can use them.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

  engineer: n. one who, regardless of how much effort he puts in
    to a job, will never satisfy either the suits or the scientists

Re: OT: Google Earth updated

Lars Aronsson
Lester Caine wrote:

> The notice says Birmingham 2001 - which would fit with the fact
> that the new approach road to the Airport is an area of mud as
> well ;)

Maybe we should start to put huge date/time displays on our lawns
or roofs so we can identify the next update.  Or maybe just a big
banner saying "this space for rent".

--
  Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])