Open Map of Paris

A Map Larger than the Territory
Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on this list, having arrived via Jo. I would be interested
in working with others on a made-by-users street map of Paris. Is anyone on
the list in Paris?

Saul's message suggested it might be possible for non-programmers to get
involved. Can you suggest a way of "getting started" ?

To begin with, is GPS the only way to make traces? We here have tried a
hand-drawn approach where users enter paths, but as you can see
www.mapterritory.com the paths are very idiosyncratic. It would be difficult
to depend on individual memories to come up with a street-level version. I'd
very much like to find a pencil-and-paper approach.

best,

Karen O'Rourke

Re: Open Map of Paris

Tom Carden
A Map Larger than the Territory wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've been lurking on this list, having arrived via Jo. I would be interested
> in working with others on a made-by-users street map of Paris. Is anyone on
> the list in Paris?
>
> Saul's message suggested it might be possible for non-programmers to get
> involved. Can you suggest a way of "getting started" ?
>
> To begin with, is GPS the only way to make traces? We here have tried a
> hand-drawn approach where users enter paths, but as you can see
> www.mapterritory.com the paths are very idiosyncratic. It would be difficult
> to depend on individual memories to come up with a street-level version. I'd
> very much like to find a pencil-and-paper approach.

Hi Karen,

It's definitely going to be possible to use other sources of data in
OpenStreetMap real-soon-now.  The intention is that users will be able
to trace maps from old (out-of-copyright) maps, and from satellite and
aerial photography (so long as derivatives are permitted from the source
data).

Exactly how this would work is still an open question - as Saul has
mentioned, I've been working on a rewrite of the current OSM applet, and
I hope to have image tracing working by next week, but my main aim was
to reduce the size of the applet and make the maps look a bit nicer.

If you can get hold of good aerial photographs of Paris, which can be
accurately registered on a map, and are licensed in a way that allows
derivative works to be distributed under an open license, then we should
be able to help.  Until then, it's GPS only I'm afraid.

Hope that helps,

Tom.

RE: Open Map of Paris

A Map Larger than the Territory
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your message. I have an aerial photo dating from the early 1990s,
made by the IGN (=OS in England). I'm not sure of the rights on derivative
material though; I used it several years ago as a basis for a derivative
artwork on CD-Rom (Paris Réseau/Network). They were going to charge a
fortune if I had used it outright; I assumed that it was Ok as long as you
couldn't really recognize the original.

I just changed my subscription from Digest to regular mode so I haven't yet
received the list version!

Karen

> I've been lurking on this list, having arrived via Jo. I would be
interested
> in working with others on a made-by-users street map of Paris. Is anyone
on
> the list in Paris?
>
> Saul's message suggested it might be possible for non-programmers to get
> involved. Can you suggest a way of "getting started" ?
>
> To begin with, is GPS the only way to make traces? We here have tried a
> hand-drawn approach where users enter paths, but as you can see
> www.mapterritory.com the paths are very idiosyncratic. It would be
difficult
> to depend on individual memories to come up with a street-level version.
I'd
> very much like to find a pencil-and-paper approach.

Hi Karen,

It's definitely going to be possible to use other sources of data in
OpenStreetMap real-soon-now.  The intention is that users will be able
to trace maps from old (out-of-copyright) maps, and from satellite and
aerial photography (so long as derivatives are permitted from the source
data).

Exactly how this would work is still an open question - as Saul has
mentioned, I've been working on a rewrite of the current OSM applet, and
I hope to have image tracing working by next week, but my main aim was
to reduce the size of the applet and make the maps look a bit nicer.

If you can get hold of good aerial photographs of Paris, which can be
accurately registered on a map, and are licensed in a way that allows
derivative works to be distributed under an open license, then we should
be able to help.  Until then, it's GPS only I'm afraid.

Hope that helps,

Tom.

Re: Open Map of Paris

Raphael Jacquot-2
A Map Larger than the Territory wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've been lurking on this list, having arrived via Jo. I would be interested
> in working with others on a made-by-users street map of Paris. Is anyone on
> the list in Paris?

I am in grenoble, and have some large datasets from there that I am
working on...

see http://www.navsys.org for more details

RE: Open Map of Paris

A Map Larger than the Territory
What does the GPS unit need to be able to do? I gather there are problems of
reception, storage and compatibility. Do you have any concrete suggestions
on which models might be better for this kind of project? We need some kind
of receiver which can be connected to a PC. There is no need to buy any kind
of map data if we're generating our own, or is there?

I've been looking into GPS & have found some lists of waypoints online
(http://www.swopnet.com/waypoints/gps/france5.html). Can these be
used/useful to the project?

Thanks,

Karen

RE: Open Map of Paris

A Map Larger than the Territory
You give very simple definitions of both NavSys and MapEditor but then you
lose me! What is ngpsd? How does your MapEditor work? Could it work with
tracks generated otherwise? You mention GPX. I'm a neophyte. Thanks
Karen

> I've been lurking on this list, having arrived via Jo. I would be
interested
> in working with others on a made-by-users street map of Paris. Is anyone
on
> the list in Paris?

I am in grenoble, and have some large datasets from there that I am
working on...

see http://www.navsys.org for more details

RE: Open Map of Paris

Lars Aronsson
Karen O'Rourke wrote:
> What does the GPS unit need to be able to do? I gather there are problems of
> reception, storage and compatibility. Do you have any concrete suggestions
> on which models might be better for this kind of project? We need some kind
> of receiver which can be connected to a PC. There is no need to buy any kind
> of map data if we're generating our own, or is there?

I bought a Garmin Foretrex 201 which I carry in a welcro band
around my wrist, just like a (big) watch.  This means I can bring
it everywhere I go: walking, running, bicycling or by train.  In
my car, I have taped a welcro strip to the front of my dashboard,
where I put it when I drive.  I'm very happy with this solution.

This unit stores up to 10,000 track log points, which is more than
enough. It can be set to a fixed time interval (1, 2, 3, ...
seconds), fixed distance interval (every 50 meters or so) or
"automatic", which means the unit only stores your position and
timestamp when you change speed or direction.  The automatic
setting is the most economic, and contains all the information you
should need.  However, the current implementation of the
OpenStreetMap.org website works best with the fixed time interval.
I wrote a comment about this on my user page in the wiki,
http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/User:LA2

> I've been looking into GPS & have found some lists of waypoints
> online (http://www.swopnet.com/waypoints/gps/france5.html). Can
> these be used/useful to the project?

In theory they should be.  However, I don't know if they can be
used in the current website implementation.

When you shop for a GPS receiver, you will find in the technical
specifications and sales brochures that most GPS receivers handle
various quantities of three kinds of data: waypoints, routes, and
track logs. Track logs are recordings of where you have been, and
typically function in the way described above. Waypoints are
important points of interest or destinations, such as restaurants,
gas stations, traffic speed cameras, your home, or where in the
parking lot you left your car.  Routes are sequences of waypoints
that you plan to visit.  The typical GPS receiver allows you to
navigate towards a given waypoint or leg of a route.  It will tell
you the direction and distance towards your next destination. More
advanced GPS receivers can store maps that contain information on
one-way-streets for more advanced navigation.  More simple units
such as the Garmin Foretrex 201 cannot store maps.

--
  Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])

Re: Open Map of Paris

Lars Aronsson
Karen wrote:

> To begin with, is GPS the only way to make traces? We here have
> tried a hand-drawn approach where users enter paths, but as you
> can see www.mapterritory.com the paths are very idiosyncratic.
> It would be difficult to depend on individual memories to come
> up with a street-level version. I'd very much like to find a
> pencil-and-paper approach.

I think GPS track logs (lists of timestamps and positions) have a
lot of potential, because they don't only document where the
streets are, but also which streets are used more than others, at
what time of day they are used (workday commuting or weekend
shopping), and which are used in various speeds by pedestrians,
bicycles, and motor vehicles.  You don't only get a static map,
but also traffic and demographic statistics.

This is an example plotted from Petter's track logs from Oslo,
http://aronsson.se/geodata/oslo.png

There are more ideas for plotting at http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

--
  Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])

Re: Open Map of Paris (Points)

frank mohr
Karen O'Rourke wrote:
> What does the GPS unit need to be able to do? I gather there are problems of
> reception, storage and compatibility. Do you have any concrete suggestions
> on which models might be better for this kind of project? We need some kind
> of receiver which can be connected to a PC. There is no need to buy any kind
> of map data if we're generating our own, or is there?
>
> I've been looking into GPS & have found some lists of waypoints online
> (http://www.swopnet.com/waypoints/gps/france5.html). Can these be
> used/useful to the project?

Another list of points in France is on
ftp://ftp.nima.mil/pub/gns_data/fr.zip

Those are a few ;-) more (97593)

Frank

Re: Open Map of Paris

frank mohr
Lars Aronsson wrote:

> Karen O'Rourke wrote:
>
>>What does the GPS unit need to be able to do? I gather there are problems of
>>reception, storage and compatibility. Do you have any concrete suggestions
>>on which models might be better for this kind of project? We need some kind
>>of receiver which can be connected to a PC. There is no need to buy any kind
>>of map data if we're generating our own, or is there?
>

> I bought a Garmin Foretrex 201 which I carry in a welcro band
> around my wrist, just like a (big) watch.  This means I can bring
> it everywhere I go: walking, running, bicycling or by train.  In
> my car, I have taped a welcro strip to the front of my dashboard,
> where I put it when I drive.  I'm very happy with this solution.

I bought a Garmin Geko 301 and carry it in a pouch thats sold for mobile
phones. In the car I just place it behind the front shield,
As a pedestrian I clip it at my backpack/daypack or just at my belt

> This unit stores up to 10,000 track log points, which is more than
> enough. It can be set to a fixed time interval (1, 2, 3, ...
> seconds), fixed distance interval (every 50 meters or so) or
> "automatic", which means the unit only stores your position and
> timestamp when you change speed or direction.  The automatic
> setting is the most economic, and contains all the information you
> should need.  However, the current implementation of the
> OpenStreetMap.org website works best with the fixed time interval.
> I wrote a comment about this on my user page in the wiki,
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/User:LA2

The Geko 301 has the same data, but a different case.
(I think the Foretrex series is just a redesign of the Geko with a
different casing)
The main point for me to chose the 301 was the barometric altimeter.

frank