OpenStreetBrowser: Improved public transport map and other route relations

OpenStreetBrowser: Improved public transport map and other route relations

Stephan Bösch-Plepelits-2
Before starting my project OpenStreetBrowser (which was a long time ago
in autumn of 2008) I just wanted to create a public transport map
(short: PT map).  Creating a PT map is really difficult and creating a
usable map is even more difficult. There are several reasons for this,
including that OpenStreetMap itself adds a lot of complexity. But it is
possible. Back then, my efforts resulted in OpenStreetBrowser 1, but the
PT map code didn't last long.

History repeated itself 8 years later, as in autumn 2016 - at a time
after OpenStreetBrowser has been shut down - I made another attempt to
create a PT map (you can still see the result on ptmap.plepe.at). From
this code, OpenStreetBrowser 3 (the current version) was born - though
with very rudimentary support for route relations: All visible relations
would be loaded with their full geometries and displayed on top of each
other - regardless of their priority. Now, only the visible parts of
relations will be loaded once (even when they are part of several
relations) and shown with their relation memberships.

So, finally I can present another iteration of public transport maps,
this time included in OpenStreetBrowser:

Many things already work:
- Ways are colored by type of the route relations
- Popups of stops and ways show list of routes
- Separate lists for visible stops and visible routes
- Route popups and details show list of stops

Still, there are some missing features:
- Stops with the same name should be grouped and labeled.
- Directions of routes are not shown.
- Hide routes which are currently out of service (derived from the
  opening_hours tag).
- Take scale of route into account.
- In route view, stops are not named when the name has to be read from a
  stop_area relation.
- Performance optimizations.

-> https://openstreetbrowser.org/#categories=pt

Other route relations
---------------------
As a by-product, also other route relations (cycle routes, hiking, ...)
are now much better supported.

The following categories have been improved / newly created:

- Leisure, Sport and Shopping -> Outdoor activities -> Mountain bike routes
-> https://openstreetbrowser.org/#categories=mtb-routes
- Transportation -> Walking -> Hiking routes
-> https://openstreetbrowser.org/#categories=hiking_routes
- Transportation -> Cycling -> Cycle routes
-> https://openstreetbrowser.org/#categories=cycle_routes
- Transportation -> Individual Traffic -> Road routes
-> https://openstreetbrowser.org/#categories=car_routes
- Infrastructure -> Railway -> Railway routes
-> https://openstreetbrowser.org/#categories=railway-routes

Please post ideas and bug reports to the Github issue page!
-> https://github.com/plepe/openstreetbrowser/issues

Find pictures on the blog:
-> https://blog.openstreetbrowser.org/node/52

greetings,
        Stephan
--
Seid unbequem, seid Sand, nicht Öl im Getriebe der Welt! - Günther Eich
,----------------------------------------------------------------------.

Re: OpenStreetBrowser: Improved public transport map and other route relations

Dave F
Hi

Could the bus data be split from the railways/

cheers
aveF

On Wed, Aug 08, 2018 at 09:24:22PM +0100, Dave F wrote:
> Could the bus data be split from the railways/
Yes, but I'm not planning to include this in main OpenStreetBrowser. In my
opinion all types of public transportation are connected (bus, tram, train,
ferry, subway, ...) and they all should appear on the same map.

But I have two solutions for you:

1. You are welcome to create your own version of the map. You can create a
copy of the public transport map and adapt it to your needs.
- Code:
  https://www.openstreetbrowser.org/dev/OpenStreetBrowser/main/src/branch/master/pt.json
  If you start to edit it, it will be openened in a special editor.
- Instructions:
  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetBrowser/Howto_Categories

2. I'm planning to introduce additional filters. Then you could filter by
   type of route. Or - for example in the Gastronomy category - by cuisine
   or type of gastronomy (bar, restaurant, cafe, ...). I can't tell you,
   when this feature will be implemented, maybe in the next few months.

greetings,
        Stephan