OpenStreetMap Carto release v3.0.0

Paul Norman
Dear all,

Today, v3.0.0 of the openstreetmap-carto stylesheet (the default
stylesheet on openstreetmap.org) has been released.

Major changes include

- Mapnik 3 is now required
- CartoCSS 0.16.x is now required
- Official Tilemill support is dropped
- Shapefiles are downloaded with a new python script

Changes include

- Noto Naskh is now used for Arabic
- Visual impact of campsites and quarries reduced below z13
- Wilderness huts rendered
- Subway entrances rendered

Thanks to all the contributors for this release including jojo4u, a new
contributor.

For a full list of commits, see
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/compare/v2.45.1...v3.0.0

As always, we welcome any bug reports at
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues

See also http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/pnorman/diary/40114 for diary
version

Re: OpenStreetMap Carto release v3.0.0

Sven Geggus
Paul Norman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> - Official Tilemill support is dropped

Is this the reason why project.yaml has been removed? Thus project.mml is
now the official style file?

As yaml files are more readable why did you do this?

Unfortunately my german style fork is based on a modified project.yaml not
project.mml (which I always ignored) thus your change will now basically kill my fork
because I did not maintain a forked .mml :(

Regards

Sven

--
Das Internet ist kein rechtsfreier Raum, das Internet ist aber auch
kein bürgerrechtsfreier Raum. (Wolfgang Wieland Bündnis 90/Die Grünen)

/me is giggls@ircnet, http://sven.gegg.us/ on the Web

Re: OpenStreetMap Carto release v3.0.0

Christoph Hormann
On Thursday 22 December 2016, Sven Geggus wrote:

> Unfortunately my german style fork is based on a modified
> project.yaml not project.mml (which I always ignored) thus your
> change will now basically kill my fork because I did not maintain a
> forked .mml :(

No, the new project.mml is just a renamed project.yaml.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/

Christoph Hormann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, the new project.mml is just a renamed project.yaml.

*argh*

So it would be best to do a git mv project.yaml project.mml before trying to
merge?

Sven

--
Das Internet wird vor allem von Leuten genutzt, die sich Pornografie
ansehen, während sie Bier trinken, es ist daher für Wahlen nicht
/me is giggls@ircnet, http://sven.gegg.us/ on the Web

Re: OpenStreetMap Carto release v3.0.0

ebel
On 22/12/16 13:57, Sven Geggus wrote:
> Christoph Hormann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> No, the new project.mml is just a renamed project.yaml.
>
> *argh*
>
> So it would be best to do a git mv project.yaml project.mml before trying to
> merge?

I maintain a fork of osm-carto for vector tiles[1] and I saw this file
renaming changes when I was trying to merge "upstream" changes into my
fork. Initially I thought I'd have to do something complicated, but it
turns out git is actually pretty clever.

If you just merge, one-by-one, commits from upstream into your branch,
git will be able to do it all automatically. "git merge --no-ff SHA" for
various commits on upstream master from before the file renaming
happened, and then merge the filename in, then merge other commits. And
it all works out.

It can make your git history look a bit branch-y though[2] 😉

[1] https://github.com/geofabrik/openstreetmap-carto-vector-tiles
[2] https://imgur.com/a/eMYhQ

On 12/22/2016 4:57 AM, Sven Geggus wrote:
> Christoph Hormann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> No, the new project.mml is just a renamed project.yaml.
> *argh*
>
> So it would be best to do a git mv project.yaml project.mml before trying to
> merge?

On our side project.yaml was moved to project.mml in one commit by
itself, so it worked fairly well with git when I had to merge the
changes into our lua branch.

I'd have rather kept the name the same, but CartoCSS requires a MML
suffix for its layer definition, regardless of if its JSON* or YAML.

* Strictly speaking all MML files are YAML now since JSON is a subset of
it and they're passed through a YAML parser, not a JSON one.

Re: OpenStreetMap Carto release v3.0.0

nebulon42-2
Am 2016-12-23 um 09:09 schrieb Paul Norman:
> I'd have rather kept the name the same, but CartoCSS requires a MML
> suffix for its layer definition, regardless of if its JSON* or YAML.

I have no strong opinion about the suffix. So if it is viewed as
detrimental I'm open to make CartoCSS accept any suffix. I just kept the
way it was handled before.

Michael