OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.17.0

Daniel Koć
Dear all,

Today, v4.17.0 of the OpenStreetMap Carto stylesheet (the default
stylesheet on the OSM website) has been released. Once changes are
deployed on the openstreetmap.org it will take couple of days before
all tiles show the new rendering.

Changes include

- Showing natural areas from z5
- Cleaning up medium zoom rendering, including:
  - Making societal amenities look like residential on z10-z12
  - Rendering motorway junction names from z13 instead of z12
  - Dropping buildings up to z13 instead of z13
  - Correctly dropping minor waterways from z13
  - Rendering intermittent streams/ditches/drains from z15
  - Reducing lightening of tramways
- Rendering religious landuse and place of worship lighter
- Adding text-repeat-distance for highway names
- Rendering dots for gastronomy objects on z17
- Adding icons for memorial subtags
- Rendering man_made=telescope
- Rendering amenity=internet_cafe
- Adding icon for amenity=public_bookcase
- Adding icons for barrier=cattle_grid and barrier=stile
- Adding icon for leisure=fishing
- Rendering entrance for underground parking
- Rendering basin=detention/infiltration as intermittent water
- Tweaking outline of swimming pools and rendering it from z17
- Moving danger_area into landuse-overlay
- Buildings code rewrite

Thanks to all the contributors for this release including jeisenbe, a
new contributor.

For a full list of commits, see
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/compare/v4.16.0...v4.17.0

As always, we welcome any bug reports at
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues

--
"Excuse me, I have some growing up to do" [P. Gabriel]

Re: OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.17.0

Johannes Singler
Hi Daniel,

many thanks for maintaining Carto.  It's great to see such constant
progress there.

Johannes

Am 23.11.2018 um 01:55 schrieb Daniel Koć:

> Dear all,
>
> Today, v4.17.0 of the OpenStreetMap Carto stylesheet (the default
> stylesheet on the OSM website) has been released. Once changes are
> deployed on the openstreetmap.org it will take couple of days before
> all tiles show the new rendering.
>
> Changes include
>
> - Showing natural areas from z5
> - Cleaning up medium zoom rendering, including:
>    - Making societal amenities look like residential on z10-z12
>    - Rendering motorway junction names from z13 instead of z12
>    - Dropping buildings up to z13 instead of z13
>    - Correctly dropping minor waterways from z13
>    - Rendering intermittent streams/ditches/drains from z15
>    - Reducing lightening of tramways
> - Rendering religious landuse and place of worship lighter
> - Adding text-repeat-distance for highway names
> - Rendering dots for gastronomy objects on z17
> - Adding icons for memorial subtags
> - Rendering man_made=telescope
> - Rendering amenity=internet_cafe
> - Adding icon for amenity=public_bookcase
> - Adding icons for barrier=cattle_grid and barrier=stile
> - Adding icon for leisure=fishing
> - Rendering entrance for underground parking
> - Rendering basin=detention/infiltration as intermittent water
> - Tweaking outline of swimming pools and rendering it from z17
> - Moving danger_area into landuse-overlay
> - Buildings code rewrite
>
> Thanks to all the contributors for this release including jeisenbe, a
> new contributor.
>
> For a full list of commits, see
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/compare/v4.16.0...v4.17.0
>
> As always, we welcome any bug reports at
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues

Re: OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.17.0

EthnicFood IsGreat

> Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 10:57:47 +0100
> From: Johannes Singler <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.17.0
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> many thanks for maintaining Carto.  It's great to see such constant
> progress there.
>
> Johannes
>

> Am 23.11.2018 um 01:55 schrieb Daniel Koć:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Today, v4.17.0 of the OpenStreetMap Carto stylesheet (the default
>> stylesheet on the OSM website) has been released. Once changes are
>> deployed on the openstreetmap.org it will take couple of days before
>> all tiles show the new rendering.
>>
>> Changes include
>>
>> - Showing natural areas from z5
>> - Cleaning up medium zoom rendering, including:
>>     - Making societal amenities look like residential on z10-z12
>>     - Rendering motorway junction names from z13 instead of z12
>>     - Dropping buildings up to z13 instead of z13
>>     - Correctly dropping minor waterways from z13
>>     - Rendering intermittent streams/ditches/drains from z15
>>     - Reducing lightening of tramways
>> - Rendering religious landuse and place of worship lighter
>> - Adding text-repeat-distance for highway names
>> - Rendering dots for gastronomy objects on z17
>> - Adding icons for memorial subtags
>> - Rendering man_made=telescope
>> - Rendering amenity=internet_cafe
>> - Adding icon for amenity=public_bookcase
>> - Adding icons for barrier=cattle_grid and barrier=stile
>> - Adding icon for leisure=fishing
>> - Rendering entrance for underground parking
>> - Rendering basin=detention/infiltration as intermittent water
>> - Tweaking outline of swimming pools and rendering it from z17
>> - Moving danger_area into landuse-overlay
>> - Buildings code rewrite
>>
>> Thanks to all the contributors for this release including jeisenbe, a
>> new contributor.
>>
>> For a full list of commits, see
>> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/compare/v4.16.0...v4.17.0
>>
>> As always, we welcome any bug reports at
>> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues

Ditto!

Mark

W dniu 25.11.2018 o 21:03, EthnicFood IsGreat pisze:

>> many thanks for maintaining Carto.  It's great to see such constant
>> progress there.

> Ditto!
>
> Mark

Thanks guys, good to hear your support!

Currently we have few good people involved, doing a lot of work and the
project is once again a teamwork (including talented icon designer who
just does not try coding). If someone would like to try coding and maybe
fixing some issues, it would be very welcome, because the team is small
and there are still hundreds of open tickets.

BTW: what do you consider to be a progress here? What do you like the
most in recent changes and maybe what problems are the most visible?

--
"Excuse me, I have some growing up to do" [P. Gabriel]

Re: OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.17.0

Marc Gemis
> BTW: what do you consider to be a progress here? What do you like the
> most in recent changes and maybe what problems are the most visible?

The sing

Re: OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.17.0

Oleksiy Muzalyev
Good morning Daniel,

There is a relatively new leisure or sport activity, the so called
"street workout". I mapped couple of new street workout grounds as
leisrure=fitness_station, sport=exercise, which could be seen with the
HD images via these links:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/631600472
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/648509242

The OSM icon is a running man, but it does not reflect well the nature
of this activity. It is possible to search Youtube on the text - "street
workout" (or "ghetto workout") to see what it looks like in reality, in
order to draw a new icon. Or maybe even a special tag?

I am not sure if it is a problem, however this sport becomes popular,
there are competitions.

With best regards,
Oleksiy

Am Mo., 26. Nov. 2018 um 01:40 Uhr schrieb Daniel Koć <[hidden email]>:

BTW: what do you consider to be a progress here? What do you like the
most in recent changes and maybe what problems are the most visible?

dropping buildings from z13 is really a pity, I would have liked to see them back on z12.

W dniu 26.11.2018 o 09:50, Martin Koppenhoefer pisze:
Am Mo., 26. Nov. 2018 um 01:40 Uhr schrieb Daniel Koć <[hidden email]>:

BTW: what do you consider to be a progress here? What do you like the
most in recent changes and maybe what problems are the most visible?

dropping buildings from z13 is really a pity, I would have liked to see them back on z12.

My intention was rather to hear about some general trends, since there's no place that we can hear about. It usually ends up discussing single cases, especially problems. We deal with it all the time and of course this is the core of our work, but it does not help to think what could be done in the future and what are general impressions, especially what things are good already or worth more efforts.

Such detailed issues are best discussed simply using tickets and we have plenty of them, for example:

- dropping buildings from z13

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3467

- street workout icon design

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1870

--

"Excuse me, I have some growing up to do" [P. Gabriel]

Re: OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.17.0

Marc Gemis
> My intention was rather to hear about some general trends,

As far as I understand,

One general trend is to be "cleaner, have less information". (e.g. the
building removal)
Another one is paler colours (e.g. parking from yellow to grey)
other landuse colour changes towards paler colours

I regularly see comments about that, (people not liking it, I haven't
read a comment about people liking it).

The one trend I really like more icons for more items, maybe even a
zoom level where you can see lanes and turn:lanes.

m.

Re: OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.17.0

Markus-5
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 at 01:40, Daniel Koć <daniel@koć.pl> wrote:

> BTW: what do you consider to be a progress here? What do you like the
> most in recent changes and maybe what problems are the most visible?

It's nice to see that nature gets more importance!

My wish were that land cover be rendered from the lowest zoom level
(like on OpenMapSurfer [1]) and that land cover were less simplified
at lower zoom levels (like on Humanitarian, e.g. compare rendering of
lakes at [2]).

[1]: http://korona.geog.uni-heidelberg.de
[2]: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=5/70.267/147.612&layers=H

Anyway, many thanks to all OSM Carto developers, to all mappers and to
all the others who make this great project possible and improve it!

Markus

On 26.11.18 17:14, Marc Gemis wrote:
>> My intention was rather to hear about some general trends,
> As far as I understand,
>
> One general trend is to be "cleaner, have less information". ...
>
> ...The one trend I really like more icons for more items, maybe even a
> zoom level where you can see lanes and turn:lanes.
>
> m.
A commercial map is to pay the remuneration to thousands of employees. A
natural long-term strategy for such a map would be to show information
scarcely, to display predominantly advertising as information. Perhaps,
this could be an explanation of the "cleaner, less information" trend,
which we see at some commercial maps?

The OSM does not seem to have this constraint. In my opinion, if there
is information available for an area it could be displayed upfront with
nice intuitive icons. There is a lot of space and resolution on the
large desktop monitors for it.

I agree, there should be a certain balance. I think Carto is doing it
about just right at the moment.

Best regards,

O.

Re: OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.17.0

dcapillae
Thank you so much!

It is a pleasure to see the public bookcase on the map. It would be great to
have an icon soon to see the mobile library (amenity=mobile_library) also on
OSM Carto. Unfortunately there aren't many on the map yet.

Greetings from Spain.

Regards,
Daniel

--