OpenStreetmap development machine almost ready

OpenStreetmap development machine almost ready

Petter Reinholdtsen

Steve and I was talking earlier about setting up an OSM development
server.  It is now in place, installed with debian/sarge, and
connected to the net.  The installation is just a bare-bone
installation.

What more is needed to replicate www.openstreetmap.org?  What should I
install on the machine?

The machine is not registered in DNS yet, but will show up as
tester.skolelinux.no.

Re: OpenStreetmap development machine almost ready

Nick Whitelegg-2
Hello Petter,

Sounds good. Will write more on this later on, but.... for the purposes of
demonstrating osmeditor, I have put together a prototype GPX server
(written in PHP) which will serve Freemap data as GPX.  The current version
of osmeditor (uploaded last night) will talk to this server. Maybe I could
upload this to the dev server?

The idea longer term is to hook osm-editor up to OpenStreetMap itself (when
REST api is ready) but for anyone interested in osm-editor this might be
useful.

Nick

Re: OpenStreetmap development machine almost ready

Petter Reinholdtsen

[Nick Whitelegg]
> for the purposes of demonstrating osmeditor, I have put together a
> prototype GPX server (written in PHP) which will serve Freemap data
> as GPX.  The current version of osmeditor (uploaded last night) will
> talk to this server. Maybe I could upload this to the dev server?

You mean the PHP server?  We can try.  What do you need to have
installed to get it running?

I'm on IRC at the moment, #geo on irc.oftc.org, if you want to discuss
this further in real time.

Re: Re: OpenStreetmap development machine almost ready

Nick Whitelegg
Hello Petter,

May be later in the weekend or next week by the time I get round to uploading
it, but the following packages should do it:

php4
php4-common
php4-curl
php4-domxml
php4-gd
php4-mysql
mysql-client
mysql-common
mysql-server
libapache-mod-php4

Thanks,
Nick

Re: OpenStreetmap development machine almost ready

stevec-4
Petter,

Fantastic. apache2, libapache2-mod-ruby... probably far too much to
list. Can have root on it and start getting things together?

> Steve and I was talking earlier about setting up an OSM development
> server.  It is now in place, installed with debian/sarge, and
> connected to the net.  The installation is just a bare-bone
> installation.
>
> What more is needed to replicate www.openstreetmap.org?  What should I
> install on the machine?
>
> The machine is not registered in DNS yet, but will show up as
> tester.skolelinux.no.

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.fractalus.com/steve/

Re: OpenStreetmap development machine almost ready

Petter Reinholdtsen

[Steve Coast]
> Fantastic. apache2, libapache2-mod-ruby... probably far too much to
> list. Can have root on it and start getting things together?

As discussed on IRC, the machine came up, was active a little while,
and then both 18GiB disks gave up and the machine went down again.
I've been able to find two replacement disks.  The machine now have
RAID1 with 2x9GiB disks, and is running debian/testing.

I'm not sure if 9GiB disk space is enough, but that was the disks I
was able to track down.

We need to set up some accounts, and configure sudo and stuff, as well
as install more packages.  I'll do some testing on the machine as
well, hopefully this weekend.

I'll be around on #geo on irc.oftc.net to discuss this.