Opening Map PDF won't render fonts properly

Opening Map PDF won't render fonts properly

slideaway
I output a PDF and tried to open it in Illustrator CS5.1 of a Mac running Mavericks 10.9. The file opens, but all the characters in the document are rectangles with Xs through them. It pops up an error looking for DejaVuSans. I tracked down the font and installed it and it doesn't seem to change anything. It seems like all the character information is lost when I open it in Illustrator. When I open it in Acrobat or Preview it shows up fine.

Image of PDF issue - http://imgur.com/NXQBAzn

I then tried another tact which was to download the SVG and see if that was any better. Ended up it was much worse. The fonts seem to be exploded everywhere, to the point the map is entirely hidden.

Image of SVG Issue - http://imgur.com/JV7MQlj

Now I don't particularly need the fonts to be editable, though it would be handy. Is there some way around this?

Re: Opening Map PDF won't render fonts properly

Stewart C. Russell
On 14-01-19 03:16 PM, slideaway wrote:
> I output a PDF and tried to open it in Illustrator CS5.1 of a Mac running
> Mavericks 10.9.

I think there's still a belief in the open source community that PDFs
are final display versions of documents. That was the original intent,
until Adobe decide to bloat them up with reflowable content streams.

> The file opens, but all the characters in the document are
> rectangles with Xs through them. It pops up an error looking for DejaVuSans.

The view I downloaded had the fonts correctly subsetted as DejaVuSans.
They aren't re-encoded in any weird way. Adobe is really good at not
following its own standards.

> Now I don't particularly need the fonts to be editable, though it would be
> handy. Is there some way around this?

Open the SVG in Inkscape, and re-save it in one of the more reliable
formats, maybe?

cheers,
 Stewart

Re: Opening Map PDF won't render fonts properly

slideaway
I found a workaround to my problem. I opened it in Acrobat, saved it as an EPS and it outlined the fonts for when I opened it in Illustrator. Unfortunate it wasn't able to embed editable fonts, but as I mentioned, it wasn't a dealbreaker for me in this instance.

Re: Opening Map PDF won't render fonts properly

hbogner
On 01/19/2014 09:16 PM, slideaway wrote:

> I output a PDF and tried to open it in Illustrator CS5.1 of a Mac running
> Mavericks 10.9. The file opens, but all the characters in the document are
> rectangles with Xs through them. It pops up an error looking for DejaVuSans.
> I tracked down the font and installed it and it doesn't seem to change
> anything. It seems like all the character information is lost when I open it
> in Illustrator. When I open it in Acrobat or Preview it shows up fine.
>
> Image of PDF issue - http://imgur.com/NXQBAzn
>
> I then tried another tact which was to download the SVG and see if that was
> any better. Ended up it was much worse. The fonts seem to be exploded
> everywhere, to the point the map is entirely hidden.
>
> Image of SVG Issue - http://imgur.com/JV7MQlj
>
> Now I don't particularly need the fonts to be editable, though it would be
> handy. Is there some way around this?

We had similar problem with Illustrator. I sent an svg fo the graphic
designer and he couldn't open it corectly, fonts were all messed up.
Inkscape, Corel, Gimp, and others opened the svg file normaly but
Illustrator had problems. He even tried Illustrator on several Mac
machines, and none could open it normaly. We had to edit the svg in
Inkscape and convert all tekt to outlines so Illustrator could open it.

So mabye it's a Illustrator bug...

Re: Opening Map PDF won't render fonts properly

slideaway
It quite possibly could be an Illustrator bug. I opted to forgo installing Inkscape because I didn't want to install X11 on my machine, so I didn't really get to test that theory. I also am a version or 2 behind for Creative Suite, so that's also possible it might have been fixed.