Opening elevations.asc

paragjdutta
Dear Subscribers,

I am new to udig. I have installed Version: 1.4.0b on my desktop. I am
trying to open the spearfish_elevation dataset (elevation.asc). I have
used Layer>Add>File>elevation.asc and the Add Data wizard says "Please
wait. Loading the following resources" and it doesn't open. I have
tried to load another *.asc file and it is the same problem. Please
send your suggestions as to what is the problem.

Parag J. Dutta

Re: Opening elevations.asc

Andrea Antonello
Dear Parag,

> I am new to udig. I have installed Version: 1.4.0b on my desktop. I am
> trying to open the spearfish_elevation dataset (elevation.asc). I have
> used Layer>Add>File>elevation.asc and the Add Data wizard says "Please
> wait. Loading the following resources" and it doesn't open. I have
> tried to load another *.asc file and it is the same problem. Please
> send your suggestions as to what is the problem.

that is quite strange.
How large are the asc files?
uDig by default runs with about 400mega of memory. So if the sac are
very large, that might not be enough. The asc file is a format that
needs to be read completely to be visualized, so that could be the
problem.

You can change the available memory in the preferences. This short
screencast shows how to change the localization of the gui, right
below the language there is also the memory setting you want:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1WyPTD8T3A

Also, if you simply drag the .asc file in the catalog view, does it appear?

Hope that helps,
Andrea