Operation Cowboy - Preaparing Thank you gift

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
!i!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Operation Cowboy - Preaparing Thank you gift

!i!
Hi,

if we look at the current stats, >150 users joined the OPC2012 which
results in 300 active mappers in the US (as the usual 200 ones).
Personally I like to send out an "Thank you all!" message, but maybe we
all can build something more personal? Just a few ideas:

1. Collecting photo snapshots of the american OSM community and build a
collage with it? Maybe the string "Thank you" with your faces? Or as
part in a animation? (who can do this videoediting?)

2. Writing the String in all possible languages (in german: "Vielen
Dank!") in the USA deserts at OSM, taking a snapshot and removing them
afterwards?

Maybe you have another ideas, how you can thank people contributing from
the other end of the world?

Matthias

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
!i!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Operation Cowboy - Preaparing Thank you gift

!i!
Hi, one last personal note on the mapathon and a big thank you (literally)
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/!i!/diary/18132

bye,
Matthias

Am 25.11.2012 15:37, schrieb Matthias Meißer:

> Hi,
>
> if we look at the current stats, >150 users joined the OPC2012 which
> results in 300 active mappers in the US (as the usual 200 ones).
> Personally I like to send out an "Thank you all!" message, but maybe we
> all can build something more personal? Just a few ideas:
>
> 1. Collecting photo snapshots of the american OSM community and build a
> collage with it? Maybe the string "Thank you" with your faces? Or as
> part in a animation? (who can do this videoediting?)
>
> 2. Writing the String in all possible languages (in german: "Vielen
> Dank!") in the USA deserts at OSM, taking a snapshot and removing them
> afterwards?
>
> Maybe you have another ideas, how you can thank people contributing from
> the other end of the world?
>
> Matthias
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-us mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us


_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Operation Cowboy - Preaparing Thank you gift

Richard Fairhurst
!i! wrote:
> Hi, one last personal note on the mapathon and a big thank you
> (literally): http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/!i!/diary/18132

And thank you, too. I've always been sceptical about this sort of event - my vision for OSM is that we need more contributors with local knowledge, not more "remote mapping" - but in hindsight I think this, and MapRoulette, are showing some really interesting ways forward. By applying the OSM community to a problem in Mechanical Turk fashion, we're able to achieve much better results than an unthinking import or automated edit would do.

Give the OSM community a task and it will carry it out much better than you'd imagine. There's lots we can learn from that.

cheers
Richard

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Operation Cowboy - Preaparing Thank you gift

Alex Barth
I'd like to ride on the coat tails of Richard's comments: Thank you Matthias and anyone else who helped set this up. Super excited about such efforts as they further deliniate great tasks for archair mapping and connecting local with global communities.

On Nov 28, 2012, at 6:04 PM, Richard Fairhurst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> !i! wrote:
>> Hi, one last personal note on the mapathon and a big thank you
>> (literally): http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/!i!/diary/18132
>
> And thank you, too. I've always been sceptical about this sort of event - my
> vision for OSM is that we need more contributors with local knowledge, not
> more "remote mapping" - but in hindsight I think this, and MapRoulette, are
> showing some really interesting ways forward. By applying the OSM community
> to a problem in Mechanical Turk fashion, we're able to achieve much better
> results than an unthinking import or automated edit would do.
>
> Give the OSM community a task and it will carry it out much better than
> you'd imagine. There's lots we can learn from that.
>
> cheers
> Richard
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/Operation-Cowboy-Preaparing-Thank-you-gift-tp5737472p5738099.html
> Sent from the USA mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-us mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us

Alex Barth
http://twitter.com/lxbarth
tel (+1) 202 250 3633





_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Operation Cowboy - Preaparing Thank you gift

the Old Topo Depot
On the MapRoulette subject, the connectivity challenge error count dropped below 10,000 today, down from around 60,000 a mere four weeks ago.

This is really outstanding progress.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Alex Barth <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd like to ride on the coat tails of Richard's comments: Thank you Matthias and anyone else who helped set this up. Super excited about such efforts as they further deliniate great tasks for archair mapping and connecting local with global communities.

On Nov 28, 2012, at 6:04 PM, Richard Fairhurst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> !i! wrote:
>> Hi, one last personal note on the mapathon and a big thank you
>> (literally): http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/!i!/diary/18132
>
> And thank you, too. I've always been sceptical about this sort of event - my
> vision for OSM is that we need more contributors with local knowledge, not
> more "remote mapping" - but in hindsight I think this, and MapRoulette, are
> showing some really interesting ways forward. By applying the OSM community
> to a problem in Mechanical Turk fashion, we're able to achieve much better
> results than an unthinking import or automated edit would do.
>
> Give the OSM community a task and it will carry it out much better than
> you'd imagine. There's lots we can learn from that.
>
> cheers
> Richard
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/Operation-Cowboy-Preaparing-Thank-you-gift-tp5737472p5738099.html
> Sent from the USA mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-us mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us

Alex Barth
http://twitter.com/lxbarth
tel <a href="tel:%28%2B1%29%20202%20250%203633" value="+12022503633">(+1) 202 250 3633





_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us



--
John Novak
585-OLD-TOPOS (585-653-8676)


_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Operation Cowboy - Preaparing Thank you gift

Mike N.
In reply to this post by Alex Barth
A big thanks to Matthias and anyone else involved in setting things up -
this was a big result for the US.   I chose that weekend to pay
attention to the 'Red headed stepchild' of the next county, and imported
newly constructed roads from TIGER, and got to some long-needed routing
fixes.

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
!i!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Operation Cowboy - Preaparing Thank you gift

!i!
In reply to this post by Richard Fairhurst
Am 29.11.2012 00:04, schrieb Richard Fairhurst:

> !i! wrote:
>> Hi, one last personal note on the mapathon and a big thank you
>> (literally): http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/!i!/diary/18132
>
> And thank you, too. I've always been sceptical about this sort of event - my
> vision for OSM is that we need more contributors with local knowledge, not
> more "remote mapping" - but in hindsight I think this, and MapRoulette, are
> showing some really interesting ways forward. By applying the OSM community
> to a problem in Mechanical Turk fashion, we're able to achieve much better
> results than an unthinking import or automated edit would do.

I absolutely agree with that opinion. What OSM makes strong is a huge
crowd of people _on the ground_, that contribute and update data.
On the other hand, there are still a lot of countries, where we sadly
haven't this public attention and only a few inhabitant participate on
our project. So what we can do here is to wait, till there is a critical
number of mappers, or try to help from outside.

Similar to Richard (and others) I was sceptical, too if armchair-mapping
will work with such an general mission. So first approach (night of the
living maps) was focused on contribute on a semi-local level, where
people have usually no problem with identifying objects, ...
So OPC2012 was the next step, to see if it will work on another
continents, as well and get feedback by the community. And it seemed to
work, even if some users would prefer to work on their own regions again ;)


I had similar concerns to do tracings here in my state of Mecklenburg
Vorpommern (in north east Germany). As this is a wide area with only
sparse community, I wasn't sure if it will be bad (as to 'steal' the
work from other upcoming local mappers) or good idea to trace places
100km away.
But it turned out, that most externals enjoyed to see their city with
buildings (usually a giant batch job that frightens people) and attract
them to add more minor changes as adding POIs they now can easily point
to. A few dozen times, it worked, too , to invite inhabitants (local
bureaus, associations, sport clubs, ...) to add their knowledge using
osmbugs.org.
That doesn't have to be a general effort, but was my personal motivation
to see armchair mapping more positive.

So what else can be done to attract people? I don't think that we have
so much choices:
-get into media (IT, GIS, ...)
-get into usual apps
-offer better/more innovative services than other
-allow even minor places to get as detailed, as boom towns

The first idea needs some storys (as OPC2012 might was) and doesn't work
without new or innovative facts, so new developments. Here in Germany it
seems to be now a problem, as anybody from the IT sector seems to know
OSM, but only very few from the mainstream. So maybe here we might need
really to focus on the "consumers" to recruit a few more of them as mappers.

-Erfahrungen vom ländlichen Raum in Ostdeutschland
-Wie Leute gewinnen?
-hier breiter bewerben, da OSM zwar bei IT Leuten bekannt, aber kaum bei
Normalsterblichen
-man weis immer nur sehr wenig von anderen teilen der Erde
-Mapper sind gewissenhafter als man denkt. Es scheint nur den wenigsten
um Masse statt Klasse zu gehen
>
> Give the OSM community a task and it will carry it out much better than
> you'd imagine. There's lots we can learn from that.

Yes most mappers (as you and me) seem to care more on quality and
quantity. Maybe this is because everybody knows mapping from a lot of
different perspectives (local survey , mapping well know areas, ....
editing existing 3rd party data).

Personally I saw that we all have very limited knowledge from other
parts of this world :)

bye,
Matthias

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us