Overpass DEV url?

Tac Tacelosky
I'm getting a bunch of data from the Overpass API, and about to test updating it.  I don't want to test on the live server, so I'm using http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/.

But the id's don't seem to work -- that is, the ID's that come back from overpass aren't  in (or are the same) as on the dev site.

Is there either an Overpass dev site I can use (to get the right id's), or is there another solution to testing that I'm not seeing?

Thanks,

Tac

Re: Overpass DEV url?

Tom Hughes-3
On 17/05/13 19:45, Tac Tacelosky wrote:

> But the id's don't seem to work -- that is, the ID's that come back from
> overpass aren't  in (or are the same) as on the dev site.

The dev site is completely separate, with a separate database, so only
has whatever small amounts of data people have chosen to enter.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Overpass DEV url?

amrit karmacharya
How can we enter a small bunch of data into dev server?

Using josm didnot work, and there are no data in my area to test. I tried using the iD dev mode, but the process is highly time consuming

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM, Tom Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 17/05/13 19:45, Tac Tacelosky wrote:

But the id's don't seem to work -- that is, the ID's that come back from
overpass aren't  in (or are the same) as on the dev site.

The dev site is completely separate, with a separate database, so only has whatever small amounts of data people have chosen to enter.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Overpass DEV url?

Frederik Ramm

On 18.05.2013 06:39, amrit karmacharya wrote:
> How can we enter a small bunch of data into dev server?
>
> Using josm didnot work

A general rule for discussion in technical communities is: "Does not
work" is not a sufficient description of a problem.

This is how you use JOSM to upload test data to the dev API:

* Download data from OSM (either with JOSM or through export tab)
* Open XML file in text editor
* Remove all changeset="...." attributes
* Change all object IDs to negative - e.g. in vi you would use the
following replacement operations

s/ id="/ id="-/
s/ ref="/ ref="-/

(if XML file was saved from JOSM, take care to use ' not ")

* make sure you have no dangling references (e.g. relations pointing to
objects not in your file) - if you don't need relations the easiest
thing is to simply remove them all from your file

* open file in JOSM
* IMPORTANT - change JOSM settings to point to the dev API!
* upload

Not that uploading data into the dev API will *not* give you a rendered
map with that data, *nor* make the data accessible via XAPI or Overpass.
Also, the data you upload in this way will have different object IDs,
changeset IDs, user IDs, and version numbers than the original data you
copied from the production API.

Bye
Frederik

Re: Overpass DEV url?

amrit karmacharya
Thanks for the detailed suggestion,

the problem was that JOSM could not connect/validate dev url "http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/api", i tried it now and its been validated.

My query:
Instead of using text editor, why don't i

1) Select the objects i want to upload in JOSM
2) Make a new layer
3) paste the objects there
4) upload to dev server

from my previous experiences this will give new id's to objects and mark them as new objects.

but i don't know how this will affect the ref=* and relations. BTW i am not using relations now, but i will in near future.

Hi,

On 18.05.2013 10:46, amrit karmacharya wrote:
> 1) Select the objects i want to upload in JOSM
> 2) Make a new layer
> 3) paste the objects there
> 4) upload to dev server

Sounds better than my way - it seems that JOSM even checks referential
integrity when you do that. Just be sure to change the API URL between
downloading and uploading.

Bye
Frederik