Overview of the workings of the 'slippy map'

Overview of the workings of the 'slippy map'

Nick Whitelegg-2

Hello everyone,

Is anyone in a position to give me an overview of the workings of the
'slippy map'? I would like, on the dev server, to try and combine my
Freemap rendering code with the slippy map. I realise of course I could sit
down and look at the code myself, but time is tight for me ATM and if
anyone is well-versed in the code it would probably speed up things....

In particular, it seems to require a WMS/WFS XML feed. The Freemap code
does not provide this - you just tell Freemap your bounding box and it
returns the map as a PNG image. In more detail, Freemap contacts OSM and
renders the XML returned using the GD library.

Could I easily make use of the slippy map code with my existing Freemap
architecture?

Thanks,

Nick

Re: Overview of the workings of the 'slippy map'

Mikel Maron
Hi Nick,

Sure, I can do. Here's the basic usage, as a start.

Adjusting he OSM slippy map to use the Freemap tiles is as simple as replacing one line of javascript.
In svn, /ruby/editing-interface/index.rhtml, replace the value of tileURL with the url for Freemap.

When the slippy map requests tiles it appends
"&WIDTH="+(this.tilewidth)+"&HEIGHT="+(this.tileheight)+"&BBOX="+lt+","+tp+","+rt+","+bt;to tileURL. "BBOX" is specified as west,south,east,north

So as long as Freemap can respond to that request, everything should work ok.

Mikel

Freemap slippy map

Nick Whitelegg

> When the slippy map requests tiles it appends
> "&WIDTH="+(this.tilewidth)+"&HEIGHT="+(this.tileheight)+"&BBOX="+lt+","+tp+
>","+rt+","+bt;to tileURL. "BBOX" is specified as west,south,east,north
>
> So as long as Freemap can respond to that request, everything should work
> ok.

I've tried that now but I have no luck getting anything to display in the map
- not even the "loading tile" messages which display as the tiles are

I took the index.rhtml from OSM and modified it, changing the tileURL to the
script I describe below.

This can be found at:

http://www.free-map.org.uk/osm/index.html

I have created a script called 'drawmapll.php' which takes a bbox and a width
and height, and generates a Freemap map tile as a PNG image. This can be

http://www.free-map.org.uk/osm/drawmapll.php

No luck. Am I doing everything right?

Thanks,
Nick

Re: Freemap slippy map

Tom Carden
[hidden email] wrote:
> No luck. Am I doing everything right?

The page is looking for scripts in /javascript/whatever.js - you have
them in javascript/whatever.js.  Lose the first slash.

Tom.

Re: Freemap slippy map

Nick Whitelegg-2

>The page is looking for scripts in /javascript/whatever.js - you have
>them in javascript/whatever.js.  Lose the first slash.

Oops... "schoolboy error" :-) A case of looking too deep when the error is
blindingly obvious......

Nick