Quantcast

PHP vs. Ruby in OSM projects

Hakuch
What do you think, are there more php or more ruby developers in OSM ?
Normally within open source projects people tend to use ruby, but many
times I saw small projects coded in php. Iam currently unsure if I
should start a new project with php/symfony or ruby/rails.

0x1E6B7645.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: PHP vs. Ruby in OSM projects

Matthijs Melissen
On 20 March 2017 at 17:22, Hakuch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What do you think, are there more php or more ruby developers in OSM ?
> Normally within open source projects people tend to use ruby, but many
> times I saw small projects coded in php. Iam currently unsure if I
> should start a new project with php/symfony or ruby/rails.

Many people are moving towards Django. For new projects, I think it's
the way to go.

-- Matthijs

Re: PHP vs. Ruby in OSM projects

Paul Norman
On 3/20/2017 9:22 AM, Hakuch wrote:
> What do you think, are there more php or more ruby developers in OSM ?
> Normally within open source projects people tend to use ruby, but many
> times I saw small projects coded in php. Iam currently unsure if I
> should start a new project with php/symfony or ruby/rails.

It depends. For projects that produce webpages, there's probably more
Ruby activity than PHP activity. Python is also pretty popular.

For web-based APIs, I don't see PHP often used in OSM. Ruby on rails and
Python are both common, and you also see Go, nodejs, and C++.

All of these languages have advantages and disadvantages and none of
them is appropriate for everything.

Re: PHP vs. Ruby in OSM projects

Rory McCann-3
On 20.03.2017 17:22, Hakuch wrote:
> What do you think, are there more php or more ruby developers in OSM ?
> Normally within open source projects people tend to use ruby, but many
> times I saw small projects coded in php. Iam currently unsure if I
> should start a new project with php/symfony or ruby/rails.

You should start your new project in whatever you feel most comfortable
in. Like vast majority of FLOSS software, you're going to be doing
99.9999% of the work for the next 5 years, so you might as well take the
easiest path you can.

Don't worry about what the cool kids are doing, just get results.

On 21.03.2017 09:47, Rory McCann wrote:
> On 20.03.2017 17:22, Hakuch wrote:
> You should start your new project in whatever you feel most comfortable
> in.

thats the problem that I would feel comfortable with both of them and
their (dis)advantages ;) I would even like the idea to make it easier
for people to contribute because many of them had learned php a bit in
the past, but frederik is true that symfony is still another barrier...
so rails might be even more accessible

On 21.03.2017 02:50, Paul Norman wrote:
> On 3/20/2017 9:22 AM, Hakuch wrote:
> It depends. For projects that produce webpages, there's probably more
> Ruby activity than PHP activity. Python is also pretty popular.

did you want to say "projects that do NOT produce webpages" ? Then I
would agree with you, because usually you only do webpages with PHP

0x1E6B7645.asc (3K) Download Attachment
0x1E6B7645.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: PHP vs. Ruby in OSM projects

Hartmut Holzgraefe-2
On 21.03.2017 16:02, Hakuch wrote:

> did you want to say "projects that do NOT produce webpages" ? Then I
> would agree with you, because usually you only do webpages with PHP

I actually mostly use PHP for building Code Generators these days,
and for writing database test scripts, not so much for interactive
stuff anymore.

But then again I've got [hidden email] as one of my primary mail
addresses, so I might be spoiled ;)

--
hartmut

On 3/21/2017 8:02 AM, Hakuch wrote:
> On 21.03.2017 02:50, Paul Norman wrote:
>> On 3/20/2017 9:22 AM, Hakuch wrote:
>> It depends. For projects that produce webpages, there's probably more
>> Ruby activity than PHP activity. Python is also pretty popular.
> did you want to say "projects that do NOT produce webpages" ? Then I
> would agree with you, because usually you only do webpages with PHP

No - this was about projects which produced web pages, with the second
paragraph about projects which involved APIs over HTTP(s). Given the
initial question mentioned rails, I focused on stuff which is accessible
in some way over HTTP(s).