Pathogen Control Stations

Jonathon Rossi
Throughout the Gold Coast Hinterland (including Lamington and Springbrook National Parks) there are pathogen control stations. These are designed to be used by humans to reduce soil and other contaminates being carried on shoes between sections of the national parks.

Many have big brushes (mounted facing up) to clean soil out of your shoes and a disinfectant applier for the base of your shoe, example photo: https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/lamington/images/pathogen-control-station.jpg

I mapped one last week in Springbrook NP, however couldn't find any relevant tags to apply to the node. Has anyone mapped them or seen them mapped in OSM before? Is there anything similar that could be a relevant tag?

Jono

Re: Pathogen Control Stations

Warin
Don't know - nothing in OSM I can see.

I'll ask on the tagging list and see what they say.

Note .. it may well not render/show up on the maps for sometime even
once there is a tag and there are a few 100 mapped.

On 28/06/18 21:49, Jonathon Rossi wrote:

> Throughout the Gold Coast Hinterland (including Lamington and
> Springbrook National Parks) there are pathogen control stations. These
> are designed to be used by humans to reduce soil and other
> contaminates being carried on shoes between sections of the national
> parks.
>
> Many have big brushes (mounted facing up) to clean soil out of your
> shoes and a disinfectant applier for the base of your shoe, example
> photo:
> https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/lamington/images/pathogen-control-station.jpg
>
> I mapped one last week in Springbrook NP, however couldn't find any
> relevant tags to apply to the node. Has anyone mapped them or seen
> them mapped in OSM before? Is there anything similar that could be a
> relevant tag?

Re: Pathogen Control Stations

Phil Wyatt

There are certainly a few in Tasmania  that I could map if we had a suitable tagging

Re: Pathogen Control Stations

Jonathon Rossi
Thanks Warin,

I read your suggestion for "man_made=boot_cleansing", I'd opt for "man_made=shoe_cleansing" since I don't wear boots but running shoes as a runner not a hiker. The QPWS web site mentions "footwear", I think shoe would be the most inclusive term.

P.S. Sorry I didn't reply on the tagging list, don't know of any way to reply to that thread without having received those emails.

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 9:06 AM Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Don't know - nothing in OSM I can see.

I'll ask on the tagging list and see what they say.

Note .. it may well not render/show up on the maps for sometime even
once there is a tag and there are a few 100 mapped.

On 28/06/18 21:49, Jonathon Rossi wrote:
> Throughout the Gold Coast Hinterland (including Lamington and
> Springbrook National Parks) there are pathogen control stations. These
> are designed to be used by humans to reduce soil and other
> contaminates being carried on shoes between sections of the national
> parks.
>
> Many have big brushes (mounted facing up) to clean soil out of your
> shoes and a disinfectant applier for the base of your shoe, example
> photo:
> https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/lamington/images/pathogen-control-station.jpg
>
> I mapped one last week in Springbrook NP, however couldn't find any
> relevant tags to apply to the node. Has anyone mapped them or seen
> them mapped in OSM before? Is there anything similar that could be a
> relevant tag?

Re: Pathogen Control Stations

Warin
To avoid future misuse of the tag there needs to be 2 tags

One for cleansing - elimination of contaminates

The other for cleaning - beautification

If only one tag were made people would use it for both functions.
 I really do want to avoid the misuse of the tag by those who cannot be bothered to make a more correct tag.

In order to separate the two I like to distinguish them by using shoe for the beautification/cleaning and boot for the cleansing/purging.
The boot is usually seen as the more rugged of the two and usually taken as the thing used for bush-walking/tramping etc.

So possibly

man_made=shoe_cleaning

and

man_made=boot_cleansing
or
man_made=boot_purging

Any other ideas as to words to use?
I like that purging is a significantly different form from cleaning - leading to more visual separation between the two tags.

 - On 30/06/18 01:43, Jonathon Rossi wrote:
Thanks Warin,

I read your suggestion for "man_made=boot_cleansing", I'd opt for "man_made=shoe_cleansing" since I don't wear boots but running shoes as a runner not a hiker. The QPWS web site mentions "footwear", I think shoe would be the most inclusive term.

P.S. Sorry I didn't reply on the tagging list, don't know of any way to reply to that thread without having received those emails.

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 9:06 AM Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Don't know - nothing in OSM I can see.

I'll ask on the tagging list and see what they say.

Note .. it may well not render/show up on the maps for sometime even
once there is a tag and there are a few 100 mapped.

On 28/06/18 21:49, Jonathon Rossi wrote:
> Throughout the Gold Coast Hinterland (including Lamington and
> Springbrook National Parks) there are pathogen control stations. These
> are designed to be used by humans to reduce soil and other
> contaminates being carried on shoes between sections of the national
> parks.
>
> Many have big brushes (mounted facing up) to clean soil out of your
> shoes and a disinfectant applier for the base of your shoe, example
> photo:
> https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/lamington/images/pathogen-control-station.jpg
>
> I mapped one last week in Springbrook NP, however couldn't find any
> relevant tags to apply to the node. Has anyone mapped them or seen
> them mapped in OSM before? Is there anything similar that could be a
> relevant tag?

Re: Pathogen Control Stations

Graeme Fitzpatrick

On 30 June 2018 at 09:57, Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
To avoid future misuse of the tag there needs to be 2 tags

One for cleansing - elimination of contaminates

The other for cleaning - beautification

man_made=boot_cleansing
or
man_made=boot_purging

Any other ideas as to words to use?

How about

man_made=boot_decontamination?

Makes it pretty obvious that you're just talking about getting them polished!

Will also reply on the other list!

Re: Pathogen Control Stations

Warin
I'll do a proposal and see what happens .. sometime only when people vote to do see good ideas come forwards .. most of the time the 'ideas' are not good.

But I'd go with
man_made=footwear_decontamination

 .. then if you want add access=yes footwear=anything decontamination=brush_and_chemical

Draft proposal ..
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/man_made%3Dfootwear_decontamination
Also note the discussion page..
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/man_made%3Dfootwear_decontamination

I'll not do a shoe polishing/cleaning one until later.