Pedestrian area at Emirates Stadium with fan tiles

Pedestrian area at Emirates Stadium with fan tiles

Mat Attlee
Walking past Emirates Stadium with Street Complete I noticed that this pedestrian area does not have a surface set: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/259558023

However in the middle of this area is a big collection of fan tiles that don't appear to be mapped and more importantly are quite slippery in the rain compared to the rest of the pedestrian area. What's the best way to capture this information?

Re: Pedestrian area at Emirates Stadium with fan tiles

Ken Kilfedder
What's a 'fan tile'?  At the (so-called) London Stadium, there are lots of A5-sized slippery tiles (might be slate?) with the names of West Ham supporters etched onto them - something like that?

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021, at 10:11 AM, Mat Attlee wrote:
Walking past Emirates Stadium with Street Complete I noticed that this pedestrian area does not have a surface set: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/259558023

However in the middle of this area is a big collection of fan tiles that don't appear to be mapped and more importantly are quite slippery in the rain compared to the rest of the pedestrian area. What's the best way to capture this information?

Re: Pedestrian area at Emirates Stadium with fan tiles

Mat Attlee

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 11:48:38 +0000
From: "Ken Kilfedder" <[hidden email]>
To: "Dave F via Talk-GB" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Pedestrian area at Emirates Stadium with fan
        tiles

What's a 'fan tile'?  At the (so-called) London Stadium, there are lots of A5-sized slippery tiles (might be slate?) with the names of West Ham supporters etched onto them - something like that?

---
https://hdyc.neis-one.org/?spiregrain
[hidden email]

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021, at 10:11 AM, Mat Attlee wrote:
> Walking past Emirates Stadium with Street Complete I noticed that this pedestrian area does not have a surface set: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/259558023
>
> However in the middle of this area is a big collection of fan tiles that don't appear to be mapped and more importantly are quite slippery in the rain compared to the rest of the pedestrian area. What's the best way to capture this information?

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Re: Pedestrian area at Emirates Stadium with fan tiles

Andy Mabbett
They're all commemorative plaques, but it would not be feasible to map them individually, so I would outline the whole area (or each set, if divided by, say, paths) and tag it as a single plaque, with a surface=extremely_smooth, or something like that.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 11:48:38 +0000
From: "Ken Kilfedder" <[hidden email]>
To: "Dave F via Talk-GB" <[hidden email]>
        tiles

What's a 'fan tile'?  At the (so-called) London Stadium, there are lots of A5-sized slippery tiles (might be slate?) with the names of West Ham supporters etched onto them - something like that?

---
https://hdyc.neis-one.org/?spiregrain
[hidden email]

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021, at 10:11 AM, Mat Attlee wrote:
> Walking past Emirates Stadium with Street Complete I noticed that this pedestrian area does not have a surface set: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/259558023
>
> However in the middle of this area is a big collection of fan tiles that don't appear to be mapped and more importantly are quite slippery in the rain compared to the rest of the pedestrian area. What's the best way to capture this information?

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Re: Pedestrian area at Emirates Stadium with fan tiles

David Woolley
On 14/01/2021 14:26, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> They're all commemorative plaques, but it would not be feasible to map
> them individually, so I would outline the whole area (or each set, if
> divided by, say, paths) and tag it as a single plaque, with a
> surface=extremely_smooth, or something like that.

Surface normally reflects the material, not its properties.  Also, I
think extremely smooth implies a smooth ride, not low friction.

If they are ceramic, I'd suggest glazed, or at a push, smooth_glazed, is
likely to better indicate the properties.

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 14:36, David Woolley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14/01/2021 14:26, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> > I would outline the whole area (or each set, if
> > divided by, say, paths) and tag it as a single plaque, with a
> > surface=extremely_smooth, or something like that.
>
> Surface normally reflects the material, not its properties.  Also, I
> think extremely smooth implies a smooth ride, not low friction.

Yes, I was thinking of Key:smoothness, although the values on the wiki
don't cater for "so smooth it's dangerous" or "slippery when wet":

   https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:smoothness

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: Pedestrian area at Emirates Stadium with fan tiles

sk53.osm
I'd have though the hazard key ought to fit the bill. Slippery when wet is a very common description of walking routes in the Alps (often over worn limestone rocks) "heikel bei Nässe", and undoubtedly applies in the UK.

I've seen similar things (bricks rather than tiles) at the Cape Cod Museum of Fine Arts. They were sold as a fund-raising measure, so "fan tiles" would not be a generic description.

I've performed another survey of the area and will be able to draw the area from the satellite imagery. Should I draw this on top of the pedestrian area (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/259558023) or carve a section out of it?