Pedestrian/bike access near Wiley Park

Adam Roberts
Hey folks,
I'm experiencing some routing difficulties for ped/bike near the Wiley Park station, and looking for some tagging and digitizing advice.

Specifically, there are sidewalks present on both sides of King Georges Road, south of The Boulevarde, but none to the north, nor on The Boulevarde itself. Options would be to add sidewalk tags to the roads, or to digitize sidewalks (and therefore crosswalks) to all other roads. What would the preferred path be? Sidewalk tags seems the most straightforward, as I won't need to connect each sidewalk via crosswalks, but that would likely involve removing the mapped sidewalks south of The Boulevarde, and replacing as tags. Would that be ok? Is there a precedent for the fact that the sidewalks are separated from the road by a grass strip?

Thanks for the feedback,
Adam Roberts

Re: Pedestrian/bike access near Wiley Park

Andrew Harvey-3
There are two main ways to tag footpaths (sidewalks) as you've pointed out, and documented at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sidewalks#How_to_map. Both are valid and there's no consensus. These two approaches can co-existing and an area can be mapped with both if you like.

Personally I map as a separate way as it allows you to map crossings, lowered curbs, footpath surface, footpath width with the benefit of having better accuracy (good for local council doing asset management or augmented reality).

It would be wrong to delete someone else's work mapping them with either approach.

On 15 August 2018 at 02:18, Adam Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Andrew,
I will likely tag the roads themselves, as I don't have ground-truth on crossing types, etc, and I feel like that level of detail without ground-truth wouldn't be beneficial. I will leave existing mapped footpath sidewalks.

Cheers,
Adam

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 12:14:22 +1000
From: Andrew Harvey <[hidden email]>
To: OSM Australian Talk List <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [talk-au] Pedestrian/bike access near Wiley Park

There are two main ways to tag footpaths (sidewalks) as you've pointed out,
and documented at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sidewalks#How_to_map.
Both are valid and there's no consensus. These two approaches can
co-existing and an area can be mapped with both if you like.

Personally I map as a separate way as it allows you to map crossings,
lowered curbs, footpath surface, footpath width with the benefit of having
better accuracy (good for local council doing asset management or augmented
reality).

It would be wrong to delete someone else's work mapping them with either
approach.

On 15 August 2018 at 02:18, Adam Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey folks,
> I'm experiencing some routing difficulties for ped/bike near the Wiley
> Park station, and looking for some tagging and digitizing advice.
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-33.92297/151.06717&layers=C
>
> Specifically, there are sidewalks present on both sides of King Georges
> Road, south of The Boulevarde, but none to the north, nor on The Boulevarde
> itself. Options would be to add sidewalk tags to the roads, or to digitize
> sidewalks (and therefore crosswalks) to all other roads. What would the
> preferred path be? Sidewalk tags seems the most straightforward, as I won't
> need to connect each sidewalk via crosswalks, but that would likely involve
> removing the mapped sidewalks south of The Boulevarde, and replacing as
> tags. Would that be ok? Is there a precedent for the fact that the
> sidewalks are separated from the road by a grass strip?
>
> Thanks for the feedback,
> Adam Roberts

Re: Pedestrian/bike access near Wiley Park

Andrew Davidson-3
On 15/8/18 02:18, Adam Roberts wrote:
> Hey folks,
> I'm experiencing some routing difficulties for ped/bike near the Wiley Park
> station, and looking for some tagging and digitizing advice.

Just out of interest: which router are you using? I haven't been able to
find one that consumes the sidewalk tag.

> Sidewalk tags seems the most straightforward, as I won't
> need to connect each sidewalk via crosswalks, but that would likely involve
> removing the mapped sidewalks south of The Boulevarde, and replacing as
> tags. Would that be ok?

Not really.

Is there any reason why you can't combine both mapping schemes? All that
sidewalk=left means is that somewhere to the left of this way there is a
footway/cycleway. If you also map that footway/cycleway then the tag is
still correct. I don't see why you would have to delete the
footway/cycleway.