Performance hints for Java JRE 9 + 10

Gerd Petermann
Hi all,

it seems that the new Garbage Collector (G1GC) that was introduced with Java JRE 9 causes longer run times for splitter and mkgmap.
I've played with some options and found that the use of -XX:+AggressiveHeap seems to be a good idea when you use these newer JREs.

Without this option the java programs tend to allocate more memory and thus the OS might start to swap.

Gerd

Re: Performance hints for Java JRE 9 + 10

Felix Hartmann-2
Hi Gerd,
What about if you compile mkgmap with java 9 or higher - and run it on Java 8 - this also applies or not? Or asked differently - is this dependant on the compilation system or on the executing system?

Felix

On 16 May 2018 at 15:53, Gerd Petermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

it seems that the new Garbage Collector (G1GC) that was introduced with Java JRE 9 causes longer run times for splitter and mkgmap.
I've played with some options and found that the use of -XX:+AggressiveHeap seems to be a good idea when you use these newer JREs.

Without this option the java programs tend to allocate more memory and thus the OS might start to swap.

Gerd

Schusterbergweg 32/8
6020 Innsbruck
Austria - Österreich

Re: Performance hints for Java JRE 9 + 10

Gerd Petermann
Hi Felix,

I am not sure but I think a JRE 8 will not execute a jar file compiled with JDK 9 or higher.
So, I was only talking about using a newer JRE. I don't know when we will start to compile with 9 or higher.
If I got that right JDK 9 is no longer available, so we probably have to switch to 10 or higher.

Gerd

Re: Performance hints for Java JRE 9 + 10

UliBaer

i have comparable performance to former Java 8 and considerable lower memory
consumption,
when i use the OpenJDK 10 with the Eclipse OpenJ9 VM from AdoptOpenJDK!

It is not officially released jet, but i use it with great success.
If you want to try, you'll have to use the nightly builds from AdoptOpenJDK:
https://adoptopenjdk.net/nightly.html?variant=openjdk10-openj9

Best regards and happy trying, Uli ;)