Petroleum extraction

Daniel Koć
Hi,

We are trying to make rendering for petroleum wells in OSM Carto, but it
seems to be twisted:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/3494

There are two different, probably overlapping tags for that, and both
have some problems:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dpumping_rig

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dpetroleum_well

For pumping rig it's clear that there's a rig on the ground and you can
even add what is being extracted, but it's not clear if this should be
substance=oil or content=oil.

For petroleum well it's not clear whether there is a rig or not (there
are some sealed petroleum wells with no other equipment). Tagging both
is impossible in a simple way, since both use man_made key.

My idea is to simply move all the petroleum wells with a rig into
man_made=pumping_rig + substance/content=oil.

What do you think about it?

--
"Excuse me, I have some growing up to do" [P. Gabriel]

Re: Petroleum extraction

AlaskaDave
The big oil fields in Alaska have no pumping rigs. There are hundreds of wellheads littering the landscape but none are what I would think of as a pumping rig. I don't really know much about the oil industry but I have mapped a bunch of wells in Prudhoe Bay and was surprised to learn just how numerous those wells are in a big field like Prudhoe. I'm presuming that the oil in Prudhoe is under enough pressure to push it to the surface, unlike in Texas or Pennsylvania where the pumping rigs that lift the oil to the surface, shown in the first reference, are in common use.

Also, FYI, the tag used for the Trans-Alaska Pipeline to indicate what is being carried is substance=oil. I chose that over content=oil because it seemed to me that content was more commonly applied to tanks. There is no clear guideline for choosing one over the other AFAIK.

Download and take a look at this with JOSM and DigitalGlobe-Premium imagery if you're interested. Most of the BP waypoints are in the Prudhoe Bay area. (See Bp Exploration (Alaska) Inc1004, for example). I'm not sure now where I obtained it or how current the data is but it's interesting nonetheless. It contains coordinates for all the oil wells in Alaska.

Cheers,

Dave

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 9:00 PM Daniel Koć <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand