Poly Tunnels vs Greenhouses

Brian Prangle-2
Hi Everyone

Large areas of farmland are being covered with poly tunnels which are readily apparent from aerial imagery which are sometimes tagged as building=greenhouse. I've always hesitated from tagging them at all as they are not to me really buildings: they are more temporarily constructed,  using cheap materials akin to a transparent tent or marquee and certainly without permanent foundations.
They could certainly be tagged as man_made= ( but what? ). No great preferences here from me but it would be good to have a UK tagging guideline

Regards

Brian

Re: Poly Tunnels vs Greenhouses

Mateusz Konieczny-3
We have over 1800 building=tent and over 14 000 building=houseboat.

I feel comfortable with tagging them as building=greenhouse.

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/building#values

disclaimer: not from UK, but have plenty of objects matching this description

8 Nov 2019, 20:18 by [hidden email]:
Hi Everyone

Large areas of farmland are being covered with poly tunnels which are readily apparent from aerial imagery which are sometimes tagged as building=greenhouse. I've always hesitated from tagging them at all as they are not to me really buildings: they are more temporarily constructed,  using cheap materials akin to a transparent tent or marquee and certainly without permanent foundations.
They could certainly be tagged as man_made= ( but what? ). No great preferences here from me but it would be good to have a UK tagging guideline

Regards

Brian

Re: Poly Tunnels vs Greenhouses

Martin Wynne
> Large areas of farmland are being covered with poly tunnels which are
> readily apparent from aerial imagery which are sometimes tagged as
> building=greenhouse.

Hi Brian,

OS call them "glasshouse" rather than "greenhouse". But if they are
plastic...

Martin.

Re: Poly Tunnels vs Greenhouses

Philip Barnes
No problem with boats and greenhouses that don't move.

But these are probably seasonal and certainly shouldn't be mapped from aerial imagery alone as they may have long gone. They certainly need a recent survey.

It reminds me of the time an armchair mapper carefully traced a Maize Maze that had existed for a short time in a field near me a couple of years earlier.

Phil (trigpoint)

--
Sent from my Sailfish device

Re: Poly Tunnels vs Greenhouses

Mark Goodge

On 08/11/2019 20:50, Philip Barnes wrote:
> No problem with boats and greenhouses that don't move.
>
> But these are probably seasonal and certainly shouldn't be mapped
> from aerial imagery alone as they may have long gone. They certainly
> need a recent survey.

I don't think polytunnels in open fields should be mapped, for this
reason. They are seasonal and transient. They will be there for part of
the year, and then removed after the growing season, and may not be used
again on the same field the following year.

However, there are some permanent polytunnels that are, effectively,
plastic greenhouses. Those can, and should, be mapped. But it needs
local knowledge to map them. You can't do it from imagery.

> It reminds me of the time an armchair mapper carefully traced a Maize
> Maze that had existed for a short time in a field near me a couple of
> years earlier.

I'm pleased to see that we do have the Hampton Court Maze mapped, though :-)

Mark