Polygon merge Function

Gabriel Pfuner
Hello,

German Version below

Simple question:
Is there a option where i can merge Polygons (of course only that with The Same Attributs) into one big Polygon?
Currently i'm Mapping some areas with a Lot of farmland. And instead of having many "small" Polygons next eachother, wouden't it be better to have some bigger Polygons? Of course i'm Talking about Polygons with the same Attribute e.g. Farmland merge with farmland.
I worked Once with ArcGIS ( maybe some of u know it) and there we had this Option....

Sorry for my Bad english, its Not my nativ Language;-)
Best Regards Gabriel
__________________________________
German:
Gibt es eine Option die es erlaubt kleiner Polygone, mit den selben Attributen, zusammen zuführen?
Derzeit zeichne ich gerade größere Flächen farmland ein und da ständiges scrollen zoomen etc erlativ umständlich ist wenn man bearbeitet, entstehen mehrere Polygone. Wenn jetzt zwei Polygone mit den selben Attributen aneinder grenzen könnte man sie doch zusammen legen, oder?
Ich habe früher mal mit ArcGIS gearbeitet ( vl kennt das wer) dort gab es diese Funktion....
Vielen Dank Gabriel

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Re: Polygon merge Function

masti
On 09/20/2013 11:54 AM, Gabriel Pfuner wrote:

> Hello,
> German Version below
> Simple question:
> Is there a option where i can merge Polygons (of course only that with
> The Same Attributs) into one big Polygon?
> Currently i'm Mapping some areas with a Lot of farmland. And instead of
> having many "small" Polygons next eachother, wouden't it be better to
> have some bigger Polygons? Of course i'm Talking about Polygons with the
> same Attribute e.g. Farmland merge with farmland.
> I worked Once with ArcGIS ( maybe some of u know it) and there we had
> this Option....
> Sorry for my Bad english, its Not my nativ Language;-)
> Best Regards Gabriel
> __________________________________
> German:
> Gibt es eine Option die es erlaubt kleiner Polygone, mit den selben
> Attributen, zusammen zuführen?
> Derzeit zeichne ich gerade größere Flächen farmland ein und da ständiges
> scrollen zoomen etc erlativ umständlich ist wenn man bearbeitet,
> entstehen mehrere Polygone. Wenn jetzt zwei Polygone mit den selben
> Attributen aneinder grenzen könnte man sie doch zusammen legen, oder?
> Ich habe früher mal mit ArcGIS gearbeitet ( vl kennt das wer) dort gab
> es diese Funktion....
> Vielen Dank Gabriel
> -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

In JOSM: select both or more polygons with Ctrl+mouse the pres Shift+J
(Join)

masti

Re: Polygon merge Function

Pieren
On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM, masti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In JOSM: select both or more polygons with Ctrl+mouse the pres Shift+J
> (Join)

Of course, this works only if both polygons are adjacent and share at
least 2 nodes.

Be careful with "big polygons". It make sens to merge two small
landuse areas if they are tagged identically. But in my country, we
have some very big and complex landuse multipolygons, like 20x10
kilometers. Although it's not wrong, it makes all editions very hard,
especially for newcomers. That's why we try to split them into smaller
parts when, for instance, the landuse is crossed by a river, a railway
or a major road. So, we have to find a compromise between "not too
small landuse" and "not too big landuse" polygons.

Pieren