Possible Unattributed Map on Labrokes Website

Possible Unattributed Map on Labrokes Website

talk-gb

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is there anyone who can look at https://thegrid.ladbrokes.com/en/shoplocator to see if they are using OpenStreetmap data without proper attribution?

Looking at the NN8 area there are indications that the map is based on an Openstreet map extract from Late July to Late August 2017, Buildings added 24/07/17 are shown but buildings added 28/08/17 are missing.

Thanks

RAC_UK

Re: Possible Unattributed Map on Labrokes Website

Philip Barnes
On Thu, 2019-02-07 at 17:59 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is there anyone who can look at https://thegrid.ladbrokes.com/en/shoplocator to see if they are using OpenStreetmap data without proper attribution?

Looking at the NN8 area there are indications that the map is based on an Openstreet map extract from Late July to Late August 2017, Buildings added 24/07/17 are shown but buildings added 28/08/17 are missing.

It is very definitely OSM, but not sure how you go about reporting it.

Phil (trigpoint)

Re: Possible Unattributed Map on Labrokes Website

Chris Hill-6
On 07/02/2019 18:25, Philip Barnes wrote:
On Thu, 2019-02-07 at 17:59 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is there anyone who can look at https://thegrid.ladbrokes.com/en/shoplocator to see if they are using OpenStreetmap data without proper attribution?

Looking at the NN8 area there are indications that the map is based on an Openstreet map extract from Late July to Late August 2017, Buildings added 24/07/17 are shown but buildings added 28/08/17 are missing.

It is very definitely OSM, but not sure how you go about reporting it.

Phil (trigpoint)
I have contacted Ladbrokes asking them (nicely) to add attribution. Let's see how they respond.
--
cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)

Re: Possible Unattributed Map on Labrokes Website

Great Britain mailing list

On 07/02/2019 20:52, Chris Hill wrote:
On 07/02/2019 18:25, Philip Barnes wrote:
On Thu, 2019-02-07 at 17:59 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is there anyone who can look at https://thegrid.ladbrokes.com/en/shoplocator to see if they are using OpenStreetmap data without proper attribution?

Looking at the NN8 area there are indications that the map is based on an Openstreet map extract from Late July to Late August 2017, Buildings added 24/07/17 are shown but buildings added 28/08/17 are missing.

It is very definitely OSM, but not sure how you go about reporting it.

Phil (trigpoint)
I have contacted Ladbrokes asking them (nicely) to add attribution. Let's see how they respond.

I'll give you odds of 5 to 1 they don't.

They're probably /really/ cheesed off, atm, with the racing hiatus.

DaveF

Re: Possible Unattributed Map on Labrokes Website

Martin Wynne
If we sue them for damages, who gets the money? I can see some of my
edits on there. :)

Martin.

Re: Possible Unattributed Map on Labrokes Website

sdoerr
On 07/02/2019 17:59, [hidden email] wrote:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is there anyone who can look at https://thegrid.ladbrokes.com/en/shoplocator to see if they are using OpenStreetmap data without proper attribution?

Looks like they are. Housenumber information in my local area matches exactly with what I've entered into OSM.

--

Steve

Re: Possible Unattributed Map on Labrokes Website

Steve Pointer
>Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is there anyone who can look at https://thegrid.ladbrokes.com/en/shoplocator to see if they are using OpenStreetmap data without proper attribution?

In Firefox if you right click on the map -> This Frame -> Show only this frame

.... then the map has OSM tag at the bottom.

SP

Re: Possible Unattributed Map on Labrokes Website

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists)
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 at 09:43, Steve Pointer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is there anyone who can look at https://thegrid.ladbrokes.com/en/shoplocator to see if they are using OpenStreetmap data without proper attribution?
>
> In Firefox if you right click on the map -> This Frame -> Show only this frame
>
> .... then the map has OSM tag at the bottom.

Nice spot. The frame is showing
https://viewer.blipstar.com/map?uid=2470030&value=10&gui=true&type=nearest&width=auto&tag=&autolocate=true&search=NW1
. If you vary the width of the browser window it seems that the
attribution at the bottom disappears if it's narrower than some
critical value. Also, the attribution that is shown isn't technically
compliant -- see https://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright . It appears
the map etc is being provided as a service by http://www.blipstar.com/
using a Mapbox map. I suspect it's one of those two that we really
need to convince to do better with the attribution. Did I remember
reading somewhere else that it was a known issue / bone of contention
that Mapbox were providing a service with unattributed or incorrectly
attributed maps to their clients?

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker
https://osm.mathmos.net/

Re: Possible Unattributed Map on Labrokes Website

Tim Waters (chippy)
I think it's Blipstar  - a UK company who provide store locator tools

Looking at their example map
https://blipstar.com/blipstarplus/examples it seems to be the default
to hide the attribution (via CSS media query) on narrower window
widths

Tim