PostGIS Views not showing in uDIG

JPHespanha
Dear All:

Following my recent post on non-spatial tables in uDIG I have followed
the advice from Jody Garnett and created a couple of PostGIS Views
holding one geometry column and a number of non-spatial columns.

However, when I try to add these as new layers in my cadastral map, they
do not show up in the list of tables.

Interestingly enough, this solution works perfectly well in QuantumGIS.

I wonder what is the reason for this difference. Is uDIG just accepting
tables which have an entry in geometry_columns?

That could explain the troubles with schemas generated by Hibernate
Spatial as well. Although I believe the fault here lies with this last
application, because it should update geometry_columns, and enforce the
usual check constraints...

Regards,
João Paulo Hespanha

Re: PostGIS Views not showing in uDIG

Mauricio Pazos
What is the udig version?

On Tuesday 06 July 2010 01:31:00 am João Paulo Hespanha wrote:

> Dear All:
>
> Following my recent post on non-spatial tables in uDIG I have followed
> the advice from Jody Garnett and created a couple of PostGIS Views
> holding one geometry column and a number of non-spatial columns.
>
> However, when I try to add these as new layers in my cadastral map, they
> do not show up in the list of tables.
>
> Interestingly enough, this solution works perfectly well in QuantumGIS.
>
> I wonder what is the reason for this difference. Is uDIG just accepting
> tables which have an entry in geometry_columns?
>
> That could explain the troubles with schemas generated by Hibernate
> Spatial as well. Although I believe the fault here lies with this last
> application, because it should update geometry_columns, and enforce the
> usual check constraints...
>
> Regards,
> João Paulo Hespanha

Mauricio Pazos
www.axios.es

Re: PostGIS Views not showing in uDIG

Jody Garnett-2
We switched database connection back ends; this one is strict about asking you to register your geometry columns (even those in views).
I kind of liked the last one which was more forgiving.

Jody

On 06/07/2010, at 9:31 AM, João Paulo Hespanha wrote:

> Dear All:
>
> Following my recent post on non-spatial tables in uDIG I have followed
> the advice from Jody Garnett and created a couple of PostGIS Views
> holding one geometry column and a number of non-spatial columns.
>
> However, when I try to add these as new layers in my cadastral map, they
> do not show up in the list of tables.
>
> Interestingly enough, this solution works perfectly well in QuantumGIS.
>
> I wonder what is the reason for this difference. Is uDIG just accepting
> tables which have an entry in geometry_columns?
>
> That could explain the troubles with schemas generated by Hibernate
> Spatial as well. Although I believe the fault here lies with this last
> application, because it should update geometry_columns, and enforce the
> usual check constraints...
>
> Regards,
> João Paulo Hespanha

Re: PostGIS Views not showing in uDIG

JPHespanha
OK, this explains both issues (views not showing up and the problems
with Hibernate Spatial). I assume the only solution is to manually
update the Geometry Columns table like explained in the PostGIS manual.
Maybe there could be a way to do it programmaticaly, like a function
UpdateGeometryColumns(nameofview, the_geom); :-)

BTW, my uDIG version is 1.2-RC2

JPHespanha