Postcodes in South Australia

Alex Sims

Hi,

I’m getting increasingly frustrated with how my GPS (OpenStreetMap on Garmin via mkgmap) and the OpenStreetMap Nominatim handle postcodes in South Australia with a lot of defaulting to 5000 (Adelaide CBD)

I am assuming that a given suburb or locality maps to a single postcode (excluding institution’s which I don’t think we care about) but that a postcode my map to more than one suburb or locality

Given that I can see two ways of doing this (manual editing):

  1. Find a sign, say outside a post office in a suburb/locality and use that value for that suburb/locality
  2. Use the ABS definitions as a guide

Any comments as to things I’ve not thought of with regards to licensing/accuracy?

Alex

Re: Postcodes in South Australia

Andrew Davidson-3
The SA suburbs dataset has post codes in it. However it would appear
that this was not included in the early import:

http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/zir

On 04/06/18 17:03, Alex Sims wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m getting increasingly frustrated with how my GPS (OpenStreetMap on
> Garmin via mkgmap) and the OpenStreetMap Nominatim handle postcodes in
> South Australia with a lot of defaulting to 5000 (Adelaide CBD)
>
> I am assuming that a given suburb or locality maps to a single postcode
> (excluding institution’s which I don’t think we care about) but that a
> postcode my map to more than one suburb or locality
>
> Given that I can see two ways of doing this (manual editing):
>
>  1. Find a sign, say outside a post office in a suburb/locality and use
>     that value for that suburb/locality
>  2. Use the ABS definitions as a guide
>
> Any comments as to things I’ve not thought of with regards to
> licensing/accuracy?
>
> Alex

Re: Postcodes in South Australia

Andrew Harvey-3
Good point Andrew. Here's the link in case others were interested https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/suburb-boundaries. It's CC BY 4.0 licensed and we do have the waiver completed so are free to use (just need to ensure we add the attribution to the wiki).

While it's a good approximation, it's not exact postcode boundaries, but good enough is better than nothing.