Potential data import

Nedyaj Ekalsrac
G'day. I noticed that public transport data for Perth, Western Australia leaves a lot to be desired. The local agency running Public Transport services, TransPerth, provides their spacial data in multiple formats per http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/About/Spatial-Data-Access - this includes routes, timetables and stop locations for every service on the network.

However, I am not even going to try and wrap my head around importing that to the openstreetmap system. Could someone take a look at the information both in the database and about the licencing to see if it can even be imported?

Re: Potential data import

Andrew Davidson-3
On 20/2/18 12:51, Nedyaj Ekalsrac wrote:
> Could someone take a look at the information
> both in the database and about the licencing to see if it can even be
> imported?

Doubt it. That's not an open license so we're starting a long way from
being able to use the data. For example it's a revocable right, so what
happens when they decide we can't use it any more?

Re: Potential data import

Daniel O'Connor
From here, you might be interested in emailing the maintainer and asking if they will specifically license that dataset as ODBL (https://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/), an open data license suitable for datasets.

Their standard terms of use are:
Content sharing

All content produced by Transperth on online properties, is protected by copyright. However, you are encouraged to share our content provided that you credit us as the source (by including our official social media handle for the platform you are sharing on, see individual channels for details) and do not change the sense or misrepresent us.

They may be open to it, particularly if you explain the use case - import to openstreetmap; to make available to a wide variety of applications such as Maps.me, public transport routing tools like OSRM, etc. A good example of a transport agency already doing this is Adelaide Metro; who both publish data as GTFS and provide tools based on openstreetmap; their internal data.

Re: Potential data import

Andrew Harvey-3
On 20 Feb. 2018 1:41 pm, "Daniel O'Connor" <[hidden email]> wrote:
A good example of a transport agency already doing this is Adelaide Metro; who both publish data as GTFS and provide tools based on openstreetmap; their internal data.

I'm interested to know more about this, are there any more details?

Re: Potential data import

Daniel O'Connor
:( https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/planner/ appears to have swapped over to google maps, sigh