Power proposals

François Lacombe
Hi mappers,

Some work is still under way on the power proposals.

We have now four main entries on proposed features page. All "proposal stuff" must had completely been moved from other wiki pages.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/list#Proposed_features_-_Power

* Power generation refinement is currently Proposed since 07th February.
Some key points about generator types must be solved before any voting process.

* Power transmission refinement is still Draft and waiting for a little cleanup to cover up a more formal shape.
Let's consider all refinement points are able to be discussed on discussion page.

* Power substation stuff had been moved by Polderrunner on a new proposal which is now maintained by him.

* I've created new proposal about power routing which you can find here
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Power_routing_proposal
It's based upon the Bahnpirat's and Surly's work.

Many thanks to Polderrunner, Bahnpirat, Surly, Oligo, Don-vip, FK270673, Alv and whoever else I forgot for their useful comments.
Have a look and don't hesitate to get involve in debate on discussion pages.

Cheers.

--
François Lacombe

http://www.infos-reseaux.com

Re: Power proposals

dieterdreist
Could you explain when we should map several adjacent plants, and when
they would be considered one big power plant consisting of several
parts? How can the distinction be made? Does the area have to be
contiguous?

cheers,

Re: Power proposals

François Lacombe
Good question.

It may be up to each mapper to make the distinction.
Myself I would definitely use operators distinguishing : If a whole big plant is divided between two or more operators, I would map a separate area for each operator.

Foremost, areas must reflect land occupation. If 2 different operators' plants are contiguous in reality then areas must be contiguous too.

Do you have any example which can illustrate such situation in the wiki?

Cheers.

2013/3/14 Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]>
Could you explain when we should map several adjacent plants, and when
they would be considered one big power plant consisting of several
parts? How can the distinction be made? Does the area have to be
contiguous?

cheers,

François Lacombe

http://www.infos-reseaux.com

Re: Power proposals

Phil! Gold
* François Lacombe <[hidden email]> [2013-03-14 18:52 +0100]:
> Foremost, areas must reflect land occupation. If 2 different operators'
> plants are contiguous in reality then areas must be contiguous too.
>
> Do you have any example which can illustrate such situation in the wiki?

I know of a couple.

In Maryland, the Dickerson Generating Station, which is privately owned
and uses coal and oil is directly adjacent to the Montgomery County
Resource Facility, which is owned by the state and burns trash.

 OSM: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=39.20497&lon=-77.45533&zoom=15&layers=M
 Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickerson_Generating_Station

The reverse situation gould, I guess, be illustrated with something like
Maryland's Chalk Point Generating Station, where there are multiple
generators some distance away from each other.  It's pretty clear in this
case, though, that they're all part of the same facility, so I don't know
how illustrative it might be as an example.

 OSM: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.55211&lon=-76.69028&zoom=15&layers=M
 Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalk_Point_Generating_Station

Re: Power proposals

François Lacombe
Hi Phil,

2013/3/14 Phil! Gold <[hidden email]>

In Maryland, the Dickerson Generating Station, which is privately owned
and uses coal and oil is directly adjacent to the Montgomery County
Resource Facility, which is owned by the state and burns trash.

 OSM: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=39.20497&lon=-77.45533&zoom=15&layers=M
 Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickerson_Generating_Station

For this one I would use at least 2 areas to map the DGS with operator=private_operators_name and a second one to map the MCRF with operator=another.
I say at least 'cause It can vary with the geography of that place.

The reverse situation gould, I guess, be illustrated with something like
Maryland's Chalk Point Generating Station, where there are multiple
generators some distance away from each other.  It's pretty clear in this
case, though, that they're all part of the same facility, so I don't know
how illustrative it might be as an example.

 OSM: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.55211&lon=-76.69028&zoom=15&layers=M
 Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalk_Point_Generating_Station

The right question is "does the room between generators is owned by the same company"?
If yes, you can use only one area to map the whole facility because that kind of area is often private and reserved for some extension.

In France, beside our ~20 nuclear plants EDF (who operates that kind of plant) is keeping enough room to build extensions of the existing buildings.
That reservation is fenced with the rest of the plant and there's no separation between the production facility. So plant area would concern the builded and non-builded zone with operator=EDF.

I hope I'm clear enough :)
I would write something in proposal to explain more precisely the way we can choose areas around plants.

Cheers.

--
François Lacombe

http://www.infos-reseaux.com